Rutgers - What Did We Learn?

Mavric

58 minutes ago, Bledred said:

I learned that our real opponent is actually Scott Frost and his horrific play calling.  RUN THE DAMN BALL AND WIN NEARLY EVERY TIME!  EVEN WITH FOUR FREAKING TURNOVERS! 

With hat tip to poster who pointed this out earlier, I simply cannot fathom what Coach Frost sees when we're inside the opponent's 5 yard line and he appears to lash out to find ANY other option other than giving it to Mills up the gut.  There is no other explanation other than based on ego his hell bent on proving how smart he is....and in trying so hard to do so, he's so clearly showing how smart he is not.  Unless this one aspect of his personality changes, everything else they try to do in the program will be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. 

Ball is in Coach Frost's court....as he's the only one who can make this change.

• Thanks 1

The team played well in spite of the coaching.  Frost is a flat out terrible coach and is the definition of a fake sharp.  His RZ playcalling perfectly encapsulates everything.  Watching Nebraska run that modified shuffle pass that the KC Chiefs kill teams with was hysterical.    He's essentially a more jacked, worse version of Gene Chizik.  Caught lightening in a bottle for one year and was completely mediocre for the rest of his career.

Hiring a S/T coach will be critical.  We've listed the coaches we hope will get shown the door, I'm more petrified of someone plucking Fisher.  I do wonder if Dawson will bounce again if the NFL comes calling again or if he gets an offer to head back to the Northeast.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Martinez is not efficient enough for the offense to have sustained success in the B1G. 17 games, 28 total TD, 21 total Turnovers. 

It’s year 4 next year. Well past time to get a guy that can take care of the football, make good decisions and deliver the ball downfield. Grad Transfer QB is a necessity. 

I don't think efficiency is good reason to criticize AM at this point. He's 81 of 105 (77%) over the last 4 games (all 4 starts since LM got a start).

Turnovers definitely a fair criticism though.

• Plus1 4

30 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I don't think efficiency is good reason to criticize AM at this point. He's 81 of 105 (77%) over the last 4 games (all 4 starts since LM got a start).

Turnovers definitely a fair criticism though.

Efficiency in terms of scoring points and not turning the ball over. 1.65 TDs/game and 1.24 Turnovers/game isn’t efficient. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

The team played well in spite of the coaching.  Frost is a flat out terrible coach and is the definition of a fake sharp.  His RZ playcalling perfectly encapsulates everything.  Watching Nebraska run that modified shuffle pass that the KC Chiefs kill teams with was hysterical.    He's essentially a more jacked, worse version of Gene Chizik.  Caught lightening in a bottle for one year and was completely mediocre for the rest of his career.

Hiring a S/T coach will be critical.  We've listed the coaches we hope will get shown the door, I'm more petrified of someone plucking Fisher.  I do wonder if Dawson will bounce again if the NFL comes calling again or if he gets an offer to head back to the Northeast.

I agree.  Some claim all this time is needed to get Nebraska back to decency, yet we see other programs hire new coaches and progress is evident by Year 2.   Look at Matt Campbell at Iowa State.  He inherited a program that was 3-9, 2-10, and 3-9 in the prior 3 years before he took over. By his 2nd year ISU was 8-5 and they have had a winning record since.  He inherited a program that was in worse shape than what Frost did and found a way to make it competitive quickly.  

• Plus1 2

I learned this program is still stuck in mediocrity.  Nebraska should have blown out Rutgers and not needed a 4th quarter come from behind victory to win the game.  I definitely appreciated the fight, and Frost brings a lot of that himself, but that alone does not make a program good.  This staff and team have a long way to go to be competitive in the BIG.  

16 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I learned this program is still stuck in mediocrity.  Nebraska should have blown out Rutgers and not needed a 4th quarter come from behind victory to win the game.  I definitely appreciated the fight, and Frost brings a lot of that himself, but that alone does not make a program good.  This staff and team have a long way to go to be competitive in the BIG.  

I learned this program is still stuck in mediocrity.  Really, you just learned that after this game? 

3 hours ago, huskered17 said:

Well we might have just beat the worst team in the B1G, but they played 8 games before us, and no one had 3- 90 yard drives against them in a half. Has to say something what this team can do, with the coaches we have now. 

Special teams are out in the twilight zone, by themselves.

GBR!!!

Or perhaps it just means all the teams better than us started with better field position so they didn’t have a chance for 3 90 yard drives 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1