Rutgers - What Did We Learn?

Mavric

Just now, Danimal said:

If we try to go into another season with a freaking analyst running ST's Frost should be fired on principle. We need a quality on-field coach putting quality time into ST's

Actually we are in like 9th place in the con. Since teams played a different number of games it's not really exact. If we had managed 4-4 we'd have been fifth(or kinda tied for it with 3-3 Wiscy). 

This is the top thing I am looking for this offseason.  Not only a dedicated coach to focus on ST, but someone who can adjust and actually talk to the players during games since Frost so far only cares about the offense in game.  Most of the one score losses are hugely influenced by special teams.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don’t disagree. They are progressing. But 30 PPG or there about this season is not good enough. I would like to see them average 17-24 most years. We do that and Frost does his job on offense we can be a 10 win team year in and year out. Years where we hit the right QB talent and we average in the 40s on offense are seasons we can be CFP contenders 

That's why he's won me over. They're making strides. 2020 is by no means an elite defensive performance or finished product. Of course there's a million things they need to correct. But from 2018 to now, they have undoubtedly improved. 

How many times did the defense hold an opponent to a field goal after the offense coughed up the ball at midfield? Tackling is better, pressure on the quarterback has been better, 3rd and 4th down stops have been better, run defense is the best it's been in years.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This is the top thing I am looking for this offseason.  Not only a dedicated coach to focus on ST, but someone who can adjust and actually talk to the players during games since Frost so far only cares about the offense in game.  Most of the one score losses are hugely influenced by special teams.

IMO Frost has to replace Mario with an OC/qb-coach and cede control over the offense so he can focus much more on the team as a whole. Having Frost so focused on the O worked at UCF because the UCF's O was awesome. Our O and qb-position need help. This and a quality on-field ST's coordinator need to happen.                                                                                           

• Plus1 1

NOT HUSKER SPECIFC, but an over view of the playoffs

Watching the playoffs this weekend I realized there are a lot of teams DEVELOPING the hell out of their guys.

That you can run the ball straight down the throat of a team if you are committed.

Using the eye test, NU is a long way from being competitive.

Jones and Trask were only 3 star recruits.......

Bama running those 2 back sets was nice

UF using their TE/WR/HB all over the place

I'll take a spread, WCO, pro style, whatever O as long it becomes our identity and we can execute it in our sleep

Trevor Lawrence rushed for almost 100 yards and he's not a dual threat guy.  A great running/passing game opens up a lot.  Frosts O needs a QB who can throw frst and run second

Cincy and Tulsa were very good

Iowa St-5 star culture vs 5 star kids (Iowa St RB quote from a few weeks ago) That is a dialed in staff and team 

SPECIAL-Special Teams play can make a HUGE difference

Of course some of the above were filled with top to bottom NFL talent, BUT I'd be happy to develop enough (players/scheme) to beat the guys in the B1G that don't have that top to bottom talent (IMHO everyone but OSU)

2 hours ago, Fru said:

That's why he's won me over. They're making strides. 2020 is by no means an elite defensive performance or finished product. Of course there's a million things they need to correct. But from 2018 to now, they have undoubtedly improved. 

How many times did the defense hold an opponent to a field goal after the offense coughed up the ball at midfield? Tackling is better, pressure on the quarterback has been better, 3rd and 4th down stops have been better, run defense is the best it's been in years.  

The reason I am not sold yet is because I want to see us get to where we need to be lows 20s. Then have that become the standard not a one off. Also it’s important to remember what are we comparing this to? What have we improved from? A Bob Diaco defense. There is no where to go but up from that 

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The reason I am not sold yet is because I want to see us get to where we need to be lows 20s. Then have that become the standard not a one off. Also it’s important to remember what are we comparing this to? What have we improved from? A Bob Diaco defense. There is no where to go but up from that 

That’s fair. I think if the offense had been more consistent and sustained some drives, the defense would’ve hovered in the low 20’s. 

My comparisons are from year 2018 to now. 

2 hours ago, Danimal said:

Actually we are in like 9th place in the con. Since teams played a different number of games it's not really exact. If we had managed 4-4 we'd have been fifth(or kinda tied for it with 3-3 Wiscy). 

That’s surprising.  Considering how inept we look at punting and both KO coverage and return.  

Let's all be reminded that we are only "one class away" and this class meets that expectation and "puts us over the top".  I don't believe that ... but that is the pill I am told to swallow.

Regardless, I don't like the continuing product/results [especially against inferior teams] ... but it appears that we are committed to Scott for the next five [5] years ... and I am admiring with great amazement at the belief Scott has in himself and the current direction.

I am not buying anymore stock and will hope for the best.

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2020 at 4:17 PM, Fru said:

Partially. Mostly because of their overall performance this season. Opponents have usually feasted and had career days against the defense the last few years, especially in games like yesterday. The defense has improved, added depth, and come up big in key moments. They're starting to pass the eye test, and I don't have a feeling of dread every time they take the field. The front seven is the best it's been in years. The offense has done this defense no favors this year. 

Are they perfect? No. It's not a shut down defense, but Chinander is holding up his end of the bargain thus far and is showing progression and improvement. Add a consistent pass rusher and I like where things stand. 

Ok. 

The problem for me is the "improvement" coincided with playing really bad offenses the last 4 games, and it feels like I've seen that movie before.

I'd like to see how Chinander's "improved" defense does against an offense with a pulse before anointing him.  He does have a long track record  of being incompetent, afterall.

• Haha 1