BIG West Coaches

I expect Brett to bring a power based rushing offense to IL. IL ran a lot under Lovie Smith, but the schemes will be different. He basically will bring another Wisconsin and Iowa to the Big Ten West as far as running game goes. 

What does it mean for Nebraska? More prep work for running defense. Nebraska is the only offense it seems that wants to light up the scoreboard. 

Purdue = all pass. 

WI = running

MN = running

Iowa = running

NW = running

IL = now will be running power

The danger that the Big Ten West is now going to get into is limiting their offenses to the point where they aren't going to be able to hang with the top offenses in the Big Ten East in conference title games. Look at today's NW vs OSU game as an example. NW couldn't do anything on offense and when their defense started getting gashed it was game over since NW couldn't keep up. 

Nebraska will be running the only offense that will have the proper balance to it in the coming years that can compete against the top Big Ten East offenses (high scoring games). 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, uberism said:

I am putting money on the table that this will be the year that Fitz leaves Northwestern for the NFL and it will be for the Bears job. He wouldn't need to move the family. Just changes his street address for the employer and driving distance to work still remains the same. 

Hadn't thought of this, but good call.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 10:27 AM, uberism said:

I am putting money on the table that this will be the year that Fitz leaves Northwestern for the NFL and it will be for the Bears job. He wouldn't need to move the family. Just changes his street address for the employer and driving distance to work still remains the same. 

where is this table you speak of?  I need some free money

Not a head coach, but Wisconsin losing their DL coach (Breckterfield) after 6 years in a lateral move to Vanderbilt is pretty surprising to me. He's a West Coast dude, so not like he's going closer to home. I'm sure they'll find someone good, but IIRC he was a decent chunk of why Bryson Williams stuck with them after Frost pushed for him. Seems to be a really good coach.

Bielema has a pretty tough job ahead of him, I'm not sure he's up to it. He took a good program from Alvarez and kept it good-very good. He took a bad Arkansas program that was not very far removed from being good and had them mediocre. But Illinois is probably worse than Arkansas was (yes I know they beat us this year), and they're losing a lot. Brandon Peters is coming back but they probably wish he wasn't. And some of the guys that would help (G Kendrick Green, WR Imatorbhebhe, LBs Hansen and Eifler, CB Hobbs, DE Carney) are gone. There's just not a lot there.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Not a head coach, but Wisconsin losing their DL coach (Breckterfield) after 6 years in a lateral move to Vanderbilt is pretty surprising to me. He's a West Coast dude, so not like he's going closer to home. I'm sure they'll find someone good, but IIRC he was a decent chunk of why Bryson Williams stuck with them after Frost pushed for him. Seems to be a really good coach.

Bielema has a pretty tough job ahead of him, I'm not sure he's up to it. He took a good program from Alvarez and kept it good-very good. He took a bad Arkansas program that was not very far removed from being good and had them mediocre. But Illinois is probably worse than Arkansas was (yes I know they beat us this year), and they're losing a lot. Brandon Peters is coming back but they probably wish he wasn't. And some of the guys that would help (G Kendrick Green, WR Imatorbhebhe, LBs Hansen and Eifler, CB Hobbs, DE Carney) are gone. There's just not a lot there.

He did win 18 games his first 3 years. Thats better than 12. 

But generally I agree. Bielema doesnt seem to build anything better. He will maintain what it is when he takes over.

• 2 weeks later...