Hope

chamrocck

6 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Pointing this out because over the last 4 games the D allowed a 3rd down conversion rate of around 25%. We don't have a good pass rush, though.

Seems kind of selective though?  3 of our last 4 games came against some of the worst teams in the league in Rutgers, minny and Purdue. 

not saying chins needs to get canned, but given how experienced our secondary is I really would have liked to see tighter coverage concepts. They balled out against penn st who prolly had the best receivers we played outside OSU. Felt like our coaches held them back 

36 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Seems kind of selective though?  3 of our last 4 games came against some of the worst teams in the league in Rutgers, minny and Purdue. 

not saying chins needs to get canned, but given how experienced our secondary is I really would have liked to see tighter coverage concepts. They balled out against penn st who prolly had the best receivers we played outside OSU. Felt like our coaches held them back 

The point is they did it, and as someone else has pointed out, Minnesota is top 15 in 3rd down percentage on offense. Minnesota has been worse this year because of their defense, not their offense. 

5 hours ago, Canadian Fan said:

So you don’t think there were fewer swing passes outside and behind the LOS?  Or more North-South run plays? 

I obviously didn’t chart this years games but it looked like the play selection was very different to me.

No, I don't think so.  I can think of about 6 swing passes off the top of my head.  And we've run straight ahead a lot this year - too much for my taste to be honest.  Just most of the time there were minimal gains.  That's a lot of the reason why Mills only averaged over 3.8 ypc in two games this year - and Rutgers was his only game over 4.2 and the only game he had a carry longer than 16 yards.

57 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No, I don't think so.  I can think of about 6 swing passes off the top of my head.  And we've run straight ahead a lot this year - too much for my taste to be honest.  Just most of the time there were minimal gains.  That's a lot of the reason why Mills only averaged over 3.8 ypc in two games this year - and Rutgers was his only game over 4.2 and the only game he had a carry longer than 16 yards.

My memory may be faulty as candidly I watched a lot of games this year on internet stream as opposed to via cable and recording onto PVR (so no ability to rewind), but my recollection was that the challenges Mills had early on were caused in part by the larger number of behind the LOS passes (and lack of vertical passing) which allowed opposing defenses to regularly stack the box and run blitz into Mills designated run lanes.  In contrast in the last couple of games, Frost-Lubick appeared more committed to taking more downfield shots on their passing pays which forced the safeties deeper and gave Mills lanes to squeak through.  

Of note, my understanding is that in one of Frost’s recent press conferences he admitted he had allowed Lubick in recent games to script some specific series which would explain why we would have seen some change-ups in the play selections.

Edited by Canadian Fan
Spelling
1 hour ago, Canadian Fan said:

My memory may be faulty as candidly I watched a lot of games this year on internet stream as opposed to via cable and recording onto PVR (so no ability to rewind), but my recollection was that the challenges Mills had early on were caused in part by the larger number of behind the LOS passes (and lack of vertical passing) which allowed opposing defenses to regularly stack the box and run blitz into Mills designated run lanes.  In contrast in the last couple of games, Frost-Lubick appeared more committed to taking more downfield shots on their passing pays which forced the safeties deeper and gave Mills lanes to squeak through.  

Of note, my understanding is that in one of Frost’s recent press conferences he admitted he had allowed Lubick in recent games to script some specific series which would explain why we would have seen some change-ups in the play selections.

Passes thrown 20+ yards downfield:

Ohio State - 2

Northwestern - 7

Penn State - 2

Illinois - 5

Iowa - 3

Purdue - 3

Minnesota - 4

Rutgers - 2

So Rutgers was our season low (tied with tOSU & PSU).  We threw more downfield in the first four games (16) than the last four (12).  Six over the last two games was our lowest two-game stretch of the season (tied with Iowa-Purdue).

I suppose the one hopeful thing is that we have such a young team. 

152 guys on the roster. 70% of them are underclassmen. 

Of our Juniors & Seniors, 22 of the 45 have had significant contributions this year. Some of the others have not been every-game contributors, and some never will. 

We've got a lot of young guys that are going to be the core of this team.