Who Is Coming Back?

ladyhawke

2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Agreed that he improved last year. Though I believe he is at or near his ceiling as a player already and I would prefer he moves on and Farmer, Clark or NPG get the time in back there. Farmer alone had two more interceptions in one half last season than Dismuke has had in his career.

Really going to be interesting to see how the squeeze goes in the secondary. 

Yea, that's a good point.  I would much rather one of the younger guys get the reps if he's truly hit his ceiling.  I think Clark will be CB.  Really want to see what NPG can do at safety and if he can be the player we all thought he could when he signed.  The only knock on Farmer was he looked a little slow but don't have a lot to go off of.  

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Agreed that he improved last year. Though I believe he is at or near his ceiling as a player already and I would prefer he moves on and Farmer, Clark or NPG get the time in back there. Farmer alone had two more interceptions in one half last season than Dismuke has had in his career.

Really going to be interesting to see how the squeeze goes in the secondary. 

I agree that seeing more of Farmer, Clark or NPG seems appealing, but if Dismuke comes back and he's at his ceiling and those guys can't get a starting position over him that's not a great sign for our safeties. I'd rather him come back, get beat out by those three and provide solid depth and good special teams.

I definitely wanted at least one out of Williams/Dismuke back, so definitely excited. I agree with what seems to be the consensus though - Williams can be the steady vet and we can either rotate NPG/Farmer, or those two and Dismuke if he also comes back. 

I like Farmer, but the flip side of his 2 picks against NW is he should have been in position to make the tackle on their first long TD. He was definitely a net positive in his time in the game, but I'm skeptical to use one half of production to say he's better than the starters. He (and NPG) should definitely be pushing that this year though. Hoping it's what I thought we'd see this year, a rotation of Dismuke/Williams and NPG/Farmer where the young guys take more reps as the year went on. Didn't happen as much this year, but it's more reasonable to expect out of NPG/Farmer with another year of some experience. 

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I like Farmer, but the flip side of his 2 picks against NW is he should have been in position to make the tackle on their first long TD. He was definitely a net positive in his time in the game, but I'm skeptical to use one half of production to say he's better than the starters. He (and NPG) should definitely be pushing that this year though. Hoping it's what I thought we'd see this year, a rotation of Dismuke/Williams and NPG/Farmer where the young guys take more reps as the year went on. Didn't happen as much this year, but it's more reasonable to expect out of NPG/Farmer with another year of some experience. 

I agree, small sample size and yes he did miss at least one assignment that cost us. That said, Farmer had the two turnovers in the one half he played. Dismuke has played for four years and has zero interceptions or notable plays. If the defense is designed around being aggressive and causing turnovers, we need the playmakers on the field. Rotating is fine but Fisher has to commit to that or else we're not actually developing the younger guys as practice experience and game experience are two different deals.

If nothing else, I gotta give Dismuke some respect for being the only one of the Calabasas guys who stuck with us. California kid seems to enjoying Nebraska, tossing #thegoodlife on there.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Returning experience is absolutely the most solid predictor of future defensive success. We could legit field a top 25/30-ish defense next year pretty easily.

I think this is a big reason why the offense has been so sporadic, we haven't had a ton of players come back after spending 3 or 4 years in the system yet. Hell we didn't have a ton of players that had a lot of experience in any D1 offense this year

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

Returning experience is absolutely the most solid predictor of future defensive success. We could legit field a top 25/30-ish defense next year pretty easily.

That would be a HUGE leap. The defense has gotten better over 3 season but i cant imagine that big of a jump considering Nebraska still doesn't have a pass rusher and has a bad tendency of giving up 200 yards on the ground (yes i now this years rush defense was a lot better than the previous 2).

^ Agreed. The defense should continue to improve, but there's a ceiling they won't break through until they find a legit pass rusher. Anybody seen any pass rushing OLBs in the transfer portal?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

Will require the offense to churn out first downs and manage the game a little better throughout the season. We can't expect the defense to face 70+ plays a game and keep opponents under 10-20 points.  

• Plus1 1