Who Is Coming Back?

ladyhawke

6 minutes ago, Toe said:

^ Agreed. The defense should continue to improve, but there's a ceiling they won't break through until they find a legit pass rusher. Anybody seen any pass rushing OLBs in the transfer portal?

I think Payne and Niko Cooper will make big jumps this coming year as it relates to a possible internal source of pass rush from the olb position. 

• Plus1 1

With all the guys returning on defense, that is a very positive sign that these players believe in the defensive staff AND philosophy which is amazing news.  I think the defense could be the best we have seen since the Pelini days (not 2009 good but potentially 2010 or 2011 good.

Now, with key departures on offense, and the decision by some seniors to not return, this is a sign that there need to be some pretty dramatic changes on that side of the ball.  If players felt positive about where the offense was headed, they would likely be making similar decisions to return.  I really hope Frost and Lubick take a hard look at what's not working and are willing to completely scrap those portions of the playbook. The offense needs an identity to build around, and I have yet to see what that identify might be in the Frost system.  

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

With all the guys returning on defense, that is a very positive sign that these players believe in the defensive staff AND philosophy which is amazing news.  I think the defense could be the best we have seen since the Pelini days (not 2009 good but potentially 2010 or 2011 good.

Now, with key departures on offense, and the decision by some seniors to not return, this is a sign that there need to be some pretty dramatic changes on that side of the ball.  If players felt positive about where the offense was headed, they would likely be making similar decisions to return.  I really hope Frost and Lubick take a hard look at what's not working and are willing to completely scrap those portions of the playbook. The offense needs an identity to build around, and I have yet to see what that identify might be in the Frost system.  

On the defense, we are seeing our best players return.  I agree that this is a good sign for how they feel about the entire program.

On the offense, other than Wandale, who is one of our best players that is leaving?  I guess you could say Jaimes.  But, he's a senior that has a legit NFL chance.  There's rumors about Luke, but that's basically just because we don't want him to play QB, do you blame the coaching staff for that?  

On offense, I believe for the most part, the ones that are leaving aren't our best players and we have better ones coming up.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

On the defense, we are seeing our best players return.  I agree that this is a good sign for how they feel about the entire program.

On the offense, other than Wandale, who is one of our best players that is leaving?  I guess you could say Jaimes.  But, he's a senior that has a legit NFL chance.  There's rumors about Luke, but that's basically just because we don't want him to play QB, do you blame the coaching staff for that?  

On offense, I believe for the most part, the ones that are leaving aren't our best players and we have better ones coming up.

Yes I was thinking more of Jaimes and Robinson along with Farniok deciding not to return.  The loss of Robinson is huge considering he was such a key focus of the team the past 2 seasons.  

10 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Yes I was thinking more of Jaimes and Robinson along with Farniok deciding not to return.  The loss of Robinson is huge considering he was such a key focus of the team the past 2 seasons.  

Jaimes doesn’t have anything else to prove in college and the guy behind him could be just as good or better.  Robinson hurts, but that’s one guy’s decision that is at least partly based on his sick mother. 

I fail to see this mass exodus of talent from the offense because of the coaching staff. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Jaimes doesn’t have anything else to prove in college and the guy behind him could be just as good or better.  Robinson hurts, but that’s one guy’s decision that is at least partly based on his sick mother. 

I fail to see this mass exodus of talent from the offense because of the coaching staff. 

I think you are missing the point I was trying to make.  With many seniors deciding to return on defense, there seems to be enthusiasm on that side of the ball.  There is a feeling with these returning players that they could have a great season.  That is simply not the case on offense.  We have seen Mills, Jaimes, and Farniok all make the decision not to return. I may have missed some announcements but are there any senior offensive players that have decided to play an extra senior season? 

I don't post here very often, but I do read the comments daily, and I have to say I disagree with the Majority take on losing Wandale. I believe we will see a big change on distribution. I believe Frost was targeting Wandale way to much. Trying to keep him in our system. I believe, this coming season, they will spread the wealth out. I believe defenses keep Wandale encircled. I'm looking forward to spreading the ball out MORE to Stepp, Allen, Martinez, Betts, The Montana Transfer, Possibly Manning and Fidone, and others. I believe Wandale, at some point, approached Frost and told him he was unhappy with his use, or lack of early in the season. Sooooooo Frost fed him the ball, to MUCH.

I glad he is gone. I believe it will allow for spreading the wealth, and retaining talent. Others, like those mentioned above will see they have an opportunity to shine, and the FOCUS won't be on one player (Wandale).

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, freelodr1 said:

I don't post here very often, but I do read the comments daily, and I have to say I disagree with the Majority take on losing Wandale. I believe we will see a big change on distribution. I believe Frost was targeting Wandale way to much. Trying to keep him in our system. I believe, this coming season, they will spread the wealth out. I believe defenses keep Wandale encircled. I'm looking forward to spreading the ball out MORE to Stepp, Allen, Martinez, Betts, The Montana Transfer, Possibly Manning and Fidone, and others. I believe Wandale, at some point, approached Frost and told him he was unhappy with his use, or lack of early in the season. Sooooooo Frost fed him the ball, to MUCH.

I glad he is gone. I believe it will allow for spreading the wealth, and retaining talent. Others, like those mentioned above will see they have an opportunity to shine, and the FOCUS won't be on one player (Wandale).

I agree with your sentiment on spreading the ball.  But, the team still would be better with Wandale.  If we could get 2 or 3 bigger WRs on to the field and get them the ball the appropriate amount of time, it would only help Wandale to be more productive.  Now, someone else will need to fill that roll and hopefully they will do what you state with getting the ball to multiple players.