Who Is Coming Back?

ladyhawke

See, that's where I disagree, that the TEAM would be better. What I Believe I've noticed is: Wandale wanted to be the focus. He wasn't about the TEAM. With him even considering going to Purdue, proves that point. Yes, he played hard, but defenses FOCUSED on him. He didn't produce a TD until the last game. You are correct, we need others to step up, and that's what football is all about. Next Man UP. If Stepp can stay healthy, we now have a big back who will punish LB's. With Allen and Fidione, we have TE's who can out play LB's. With Manning (I hope), and Toure we have Experienced, Big catch radius WR's. I don't know who will fill the Slot/Duck/r, but who ever it is will have a great opportunity, NOT the Focus. I believe Frost's offense will finally come to life. We also have some very talented O lineman coming this year. I will miss Jaimes, but Fornick, different story. I remember the last offensive play by Nebr against Iowa. Fornick got whipped and Martinez got sacked and fumbled. END OF GAME. That can't happen to a Senior O lineman. Especially on the last drive of the game, with time running out, on the scoring side of the field, and the CHANCE to win the game.

• Plus1 3

See, that's where I disagree, that the TEAM would be better. What I Believe I've noticed is: Wandale wanted to be the focus. He wasn't about the TEAM. With him even considering going to Purdue, proves that point. Yes, he played hard, but defenses FOCUSED on him. He didn't produce a TD until the last game. You are correct, we need others to step up, and that's what football is all about. Next Man UP. If Stepp can stay healthy, we now have a big back who will punish LB's. With Allen and Fidione, we have TE's who can out play LB's. With Manning (I hope), and Toure we have Experienced, Big catch radius WR's. I don't know who will fill the Slot/Duck/r, but who ever it is will have a great opportunity, NOT the Focus. I believe Frost's offense will finally come to life. We also have some very talented O lineman coming this year. I will miss Jaimes, but Fornick, different story. I remember the last offensive play by Nebr against Iowa. Fornick got whipped and Martinez got sacked and fumbled. END OF GAME. That can't happen to a Senior O lineman. Especially on the last drive of the game, with time running out, on the scoring side of the field, and the CHANCE to win the game.

Please post a little more.  We could use the optimism.  I also don't think your "take" is that far off base either.  I can absolutely see your points.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, freelodr1 said:

Pass me some of that kool-aid!!

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

With all the guys returning on defense, that is a very positive sign that these players believe in the defensive staff AND philosophy which is amazing news.  I think the defense could be the best we have seen since the Pelini days (not 2009 good but potentially 2010 or 2011 good.

Now, with key departures on offense, and the decision by some seniors to not return, this is a sign that there need to be some pretty dramatic changes on that side of the ball.  If players felt positive about where the offense was headed, they would likely be making similar decisions to return.  I really hope Frost and Lubick take a hard look at what's not working and are willing to completely scrap those portions of the playbook. The offense needs an identity to build around, and I have yet to see what that identify might be in the Frost system.  

You can definitely say that about Wandale leaving. But beyond that we're losing two linemen who were here for four and five years and probably both have a good shot to be drafted, an OK tight end who had been passed on the depth chart, and a 24-year-old running back. They would be nice to have back but I don't see how any of those cases are an indictment of Frost or his system or a sign we need change.

3 hours ago, freelodr1 said:

I believe Wandale, at some point, approached Frost and told him he was unhappy with his use, or lack of early in the season. Sooooooo Frost fed him the ball, to MUCH.

Disagree completely. Wandale got so many touches due to a lack of more/better options in the offense, due to injuries and inexperience at WR and RB. Frost didn't want to use Wandale the way he did (especially putting him at RB so much), he did it because he didn't really have any better options. Wandale enjoyed those extra touches, but ultimately he's not trying to become an RB.

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, freelodr1 said:

I believe that last play you are referring to it was Benhart who got beat on the right end.

Your point stands though....if this young OL can become a unit of strength, the rest of our skill positions can produce better.

12 minutes ago, Toe said:

Disagree completely. Wandale got so many touches due to a lack of more/better options in the offense, due to injuries and inexperience at WR and RB.

I agree with you. I think he didn’t like being the center piece of the offense (too painful). For him to flourish, he needs a team with a legit deep ball threat and solid run threat. He plays the “oops, I forgot about him” slot.  

he’s not fast enough to be the deep threat guy and built too slightly to be a RB.  

• Plus1 1

Here is the most exciting part.  All of these guys coming back for another year is a great sign.  They are not coming back to waste time.  Some have NFL aspirations, others surely have better things to do.  Yes, college was the best 6 years of my life, ha.....but these guys wouldn't coming back if they didn't believe they could improve and win some games.  It isn't easy putting in the kind of time that is required of them.  This group will be laser focused.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

You can definitely say that about Wandale leaving. But beyond that we're losing two linemen who were here for four and five years and probably both have a good shot to be drafted, an OK tight end who had been passed on the depth chart, and a 24-year-old running back. They would be nice to have back but I don't see how any of those cases are an indictment of Frost or his system or a sign we need change.

Well I think the biggest indictment of Frost's offensive system is the decline in output we have seen over the past 3 years. Losing Spielman and Robinson in back to back years is not great either.  We also saw some attrition from other offensive players but that was likely due to a lack of PT.  Regardless, I still stand by my statement that the defensive players seem way more stoked and passionate about their side of the ball and agree with this tweet suggesting the same.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

I believe that last play you are referring to it was Benhart who got beat on the right end.

Your point stands though....if this young OL can become a unit of strength, the rest of our skill positions can produce better.

No, it was Farniok. (10:40 in video). Whoever his replacement is, I expect to be a lateral move or improvement in talent at the spot. Farniok, like Kade Warner & Dismuke, may be great leaders and team guys but were limited in talent unfortunately.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

No, it was Farniok. (10:40 in video). Whoever his replacement is, I expect to be a lateral move or improvement in talent at the spot. Farniok, like Kade Warner & Dismuke, may be great leaders and team guys but were limited in talent unfortunately.

Ya, that's a horrible look from a veteran interior guy. The play before, however, was a great look for Wandale.  RIP Husker WR.