Trump Coup Attempt

Trump Coup Attempt  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Capitol Police rejected offers of federal help to quell mob

Three days before supporters of President Donald Trump rioted at the Capitol, the Pentagon asked the U.S Capitol Police if it needed National Guard manpower. And as the mob descended on the building Wednesday, Justice Department leaders reached out to offer up FBI agents. The police turned them down both times, according to senior defense officials and two people familiar with the matter.

Despite plenty of warnings of a possible insurrection and ample resources and time to prepare, the Capitol Police planned only for a free speech demonstration.

Still stinging from the uproar over the violent response by law enforcement to protests last June near the White House, officials also were intent on avoiding any appearance that the federal government was deploying active duty or National Guard troops against Americans.

The result is the U.S. Capitol was overrun Wednesday and officers in a law enforcement agency with a large operating budget and experience in high-security events protecting lawmakers were overwhelmed for the world to see. Four protesters died including one shot inside the building.

The rioting and loss of control has raised serious questions over security at the Capitol for future events. The actions of the day also raise troubling concerns about the treatment of mainly white Trump supporters who were allowed to roam through the building for hours, while Black and brown protesters who demonstrated last year over police brutality were faced more robust and aggressive policing.

“This was a failure of imagination, a failure of leadership,” said Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo, whose department responded to several large protests last year following the death of George Floyd. “The Capitol Police must do better and I don’t see how we can get around that.”

Acevedo said he has attended events on the Capitol grounds to honor slain police officers that had higher fences and a stronger security presence than what he saw on video Wednesday.

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Capitol Police rejected offers of federal help to quell mob

Three days before supporters of President Donald Trump rioted at the Capitol, the Pentagon asked the U.S Capitol Police if it needed National Guard manpower. And as the mob descended on the building Wednesday, Justice Department leaders reached out to offer up FBI agents. The police turned them down both times, according to senior defense officials and two people familiar with the matter.

Despite plenty of warnings of a possible insurrection and ample resources and time to prepare, the Capitol Police planned only for a free speech demonstration.

Still stinging from the uproar over the violent response by law enforcement to protests last June near the White House, officials also were intent on avoiding any appearance that the federal government was deploying active duty or National Guard troops against Americans.

The result is the U.S. Capitol was overrun Wednesday and officers in a law enforcement agency with a large operating budget and experience in high-security events protecting lawmakers were overwhelmed for the world to see. Four protesters died including one shot inside the building.

The rioting and loss of control has raised serious questions over security at the Capitol for future events. The actions of the day also raise troubling concerns about the treatment of mainly white Trump supporters who were allowed to roam through the building for hours, while Black and brown protesters who demonstrated last year over police brutality were faced more robust and aggressive policing.

“This was a failure of imagination, a failure of leadership,” said Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo, whose department responded to several large protests last year following the death of George Floyd. “The Capitol Police must do better and I don’t see how we can get around that.”

Acevedo said he has attended events on the Capitol grounds to honor slain police officers that had higher fences and a stronger security presence than what he saw on video Wednesday.

The thing that keeps coming to mind is thinking that the capital police thought they were ok with this group.  After all, BLUE LIVES MATER, right?   Why would these nice people storm our capital.  

So, why get the national guard involved???

46 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think the main actors (at least the main actors) should get 20+ years at the least.

29 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I read a follow up that guesstimated 1-3

I posted an article today about Shays rebellion that offered a framework of what I thought were appropriate punishments.

1. Any minor player who participated, if they sign a document admitting their participation swears an oath of allegiance (and I would add can pass a citizenship test) gets full amnesty. 

2. Ringleaders are tried and, if convicted, sentenced to life in prison with chance of a parole with good behavior. 

3. No one who participated at any level is eligible to hold elected office for the remainder of their life. 

4. I'd also add that participants of an insurrection  have forfeited their 2nd amendment rights and are therefore ineligble to own firearms at the penalty of life in prison.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I read a follow up that guesstimated 1-3

That would be f#&%ing stupid. It matters that they forced their way into a building where the leaders of our government were conducting business. That should be considered. Use sedition if they need to in order to get a longer sentence. Giving them only 3 years in jail will cause this to happen again.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I posted an article today about Shays rebellion that held what I thought were appropriate punishments.

1. Any minor player who participated, if they sign a document admitting their participation swears an oath of allegiance (and I would add can pass a citizenship test) gets full amnesty. 

2. Ringleader are tried and, if convicted, sentenced to (or life in prison), with chance of a parole with good behavior. 

3. No one who participated at any level is eligible to hold elected office for the remainder of their life. 

4. I'd also add that participants of an insurrection  have forfeited their 2nd amendment rights and are therefore ineligble to own firearms at the penalty of life in prison.

I agree.

And I can't believe there are people trying to compare this to the BLM protests. This isn't some random building with random people in it. They weren't trying to interrupt or stop our government, or worse.

• Plus1 3

People who have committed crimes have been prosecuted to the fullest and harshest extent with a purpose of being made examples. Well I've never seen anything like this in my lifetime. The courts need to be tough and make examples out of every single one that unlawfully participated in this event. For example, the guy sitting behind Pelosi's desk and stole her mail should get a minimum 20 years IMO. That might be one of the more average offenses comparatively simply by that guy being a f***ing gullible moron. Now think about that individual who brought an ied and the ones who strategized kidnapping and causing injury/death. Guantanomo is waiting for them. 

In case you haven't seen it (graphic warning):

This is up close footage from the instant where the rioter was shot and killed at the Capital on Wednesday.

https://sanangelolive.com/news/crime/2021-01-07/warning-graphic-video-woman-shot-capitol-building

If you pound on a barricaded door, and then try to climb in said barricaded door, and guy on other side of barricaded door has a pistol (and another rioter pointed that out in another clip), then Darwin would like to meet you.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I posted an article today about Shays rebellion that offered a framework of what I thought were appropriate punishments.

2. Ringleaders are tried and, if convicted, sentenced to life in prison with chance of a parole with good behavior. 

Seems fair.

8 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

In case you haven't seen it (graphic warning):

This is up close footage from the instant where the rioter was shot and killed at the Capital on Wednesday.

https://sanangelolive.com/news/crime/2021-01-07/warning-graphic-video-woman-shot-capitol-building

If you pound on a barricaded door, and then try to climb in said barricaded door, and guy on other side of barricaded door has a pistol (and another rioter pointed that out in another clip), then Darwin would like to meet you.

She arrived angry. She left scared. Pretty sad. 

• Plus1 1