Trump Coup Attempt

Trump Coup Attempt  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Thanks.  I agree he's been attempting a soft coup all along.  Those attempts have all failed.  My question then was does he actually take the next and final step and order the military to impose martial law in an attempt to stay in power as Flynn has proposed?

I think that all depends on if the people around him at the top of the military agree to go along with it.  Meaning, he's already asked.  Those people have at least been adults in the room and said "no".  If that changes, it's going to be a dark day for America.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

We will know when Putin will be done with Trump  - when Trump takes the window step instead of the stairs from the 6th floor.

Or, when the pee tapes are released.

OK.....chances are the pee tapes don't exist.  But, I still believe Putin has something on Trump that Trump doesn't want revealed.  That's why he's so willing to help Putin out and deny he's doing anything bad.There's something there.  We just don't know what it is.  When we find out is when Putin is done with him.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think that all depends on if the people around him at the top of the military agree to go along with it.  Meaning, he's already asked.  Those people have at least been adults in the room and said "no".  If that changes, it's going to be a dark day for America.

I think there's asking and kicking around the idea of if it will work, etc and then there's a direct order as Commander in Chief.  I don't think that's happened yet and really what I was getting at with this poll.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK.....chances are the pee tapes don't exist.  But, I still believe Putin has something on Trump that Trump doesn't want revealed.  That's why he's so willing to help Putin out and deny he's doing anything bad.There's something there.  We just don't know what it is.  When we find out is when Putin is done with him.

Maybe if that tax audit would ever come to a close....then maybe we'd know.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I think there's asking and kicking around the idea of if it will work, etc and then there's a direct order as Commander in Chief.  I don't think that's happened yet and really what I was getting at with this poll.

That's how I interpreted the poll, which is why I answered "no" on all questions. I don't think he has any chance of pulling off a coup because the military wouldn't back him. But I am sure he's kicked the tires on the idea with some key people, because he would do anything to stay in power. 

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think it probably goes even deeper than Trump.  Think Ron Johnson, Lyndsey Graham, Marco Rubio and others.  The last two have flipped and did so almost immediately from staunch Trump critics to sycophants.  Ron Johnson just likes to vacation in Moscow..hmmm.

The thing is, anybody who visits Russia, especially a narcissistic, failing business man is bait for the KGB.  With his psychological profile, and the KGB would know that, he was like a Royal Humpy on a brookie pond.  No chance.  He's also not sophisticated enough to know this.  I'd be absolutely shocked if he wasn't compromised.  I mean this stuff can be found in any bad spy novel and here we are living it.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I think it probably goes even deeper than Trump.  Think Ron Johnson, Lyndsey Graham, Marco Rubio and others.  The last two have flipped and did so almost immediately from staunch Trump critics to sycophants.  Ron Johnson just likes to vacation in Moscow..hmmm.

The thing is, anybody who visits Russia, especially a narcissistic, failing business man is bait for the KGB.  With his psychological profile, and the KGB would know that, he was like a Royal Humpy on a brookie pond.  No chance.  He's also not sophisticated enough to know this.  I'd be absolutely shocked if he wasn't compromised.  I mean this stuff can be found in any bad spy novel and here we are living it.  

Hmmm....I've always thought that it was Trump that had dirt on Graham.  But, maybe you're right and it's Russia.

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

And just think....people thought only the election deniers wore tin foil hats.  Would love to see all this proof to substantiate the allegations of the people mentioned in the post other than “I think”. 
Pretty strong charges to make based on the “I think” standard.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmm....I've always thought that it was Trump that had dirt on Graham.  But, maybe you're right and it's Russia.

:o

Putin has stuff on Trump  and tells trump he has leverage on Graham and some others who have flipped like Rubio, Johnson and don't forget about Ted Cruz. 

Cruz, Graham and Rubio were hateful towards Trump & despised him  in 2016 - all of a sudden they flipped.   Trump slanders Cruz's father, insults little Marco as well as Graham during the primaries - how do you flip to being not only pro-Trump but Pro-Trump advocates.   It is not a stretch to believe Trump has something on them but the something may be from Putin who tells trump to use this 'knowledge' to leverage these senators to do his bidding.   What about the Moscow 6?  Johnson was one of those 6 senators that went on the 9 day junket to Russia. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gop-senators-tell-contradictory-stories-about-moscow-trip

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And just think....people thought only the election deniers wore tin foil hats.  Would love to see all this proof to substantiate the allegations of the people mentioned in the post other than “I think”. 
Pretty strong charges to make based on the “I think” standard.  

No!!! Not you too?  Playing the tried and true Soviet whataboutism card?  

OccAm’s Razor says that Cruz, Graham, and others just want to hang on to their positions and will go along with whatever keeps them there.

They realize, for whatever reason, their base voters are mostly behind Trump 110%.  They can’t risk losing them and get re-elected.  Lucky for the GOP, a lot of the Trump base is easily appeased with faux patriotism and owning the libs.  Critical thought be damned!

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, funhusker said:

OccAm’s Razor says that Cruz, Graham, and others just want to hang on to their positions and will go along with whatever keeps them there.

They realize, for whatever reason, their base voters are mostly behind Trump 110%.  They can’t risk losing them and get re-elected.  Lucky for the GOP, a lot of the Trump base is easily appeased with faux patriotism and owning the libs.  Critical thought be damned!

Good thought - yes the simplest valid explanation --  self serving over integrity

A hard hitting OPED by a GOPer who worked in previous GOP administrations.   Trump is losing his mind - and it shouldn't surprise any of us.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/12/trump-losing-his-mind/617446/

Some quotes 

None of this should come as a surprise. Some of us said, even before he became president, that Donald Trump’s Rosetta Stone, the key to deciphering him, was his psychology—his disordered personality, his emotional and mental instability, and his sociopathic tendencies. It was the main reason, though hardly the only reason, I refused to vote for him in 2016 or in 2020, despite having worked in the three previous Republican administrations. Nothing that Trump has done over the past four years has caused me to rethink my assessment, and a great deal has happened to confirm it.

Given Trump’s psychological profile, it was inevitable that when he felt the walls of reality close in on him—in 2020, it was the pandemic, the cratering economy, and his election defeat—he would detach himself even further from reality. It was predictable that the president would assert even more bizarre conspiracy theories. That he would become more enraged and embittered, more desperate and despondent, more consumed by his grievances. That he would go against past supplicants, like Attorney General Bill Barr and Georgia Governor Brian Kemp, and become more aggressive toward his perceived enemies. That his wits would begin to turn, in the words of King Lear. That he would begin to lose his mind.

So he has. And, as a result, President Trump has become even more destabilizing and dangerous.

“I’ve been covering Donald Trump for a while,” Jonathan Swan of Axios tweeted. “I can’t recall hearing more intense concern from senior officials who are actually Trump people. The Sidney Powell/Michael Flynn ideas are finding an enthusiastic audience at the top.”

But the Trump presidency will leave gaping wounds nearly everywhere, and ruination in some places. Truth as a concept has been battered from the highest office in the land on an almost hourly basis. The Republican Party has been radicalized, with countless Republican lawmakers and other prominent figures within the party having revealed themselves to be moral cowards, even, and in some ways especially, after Trump was defeated. During the Trump presidency, they were so afraid of getting crosswise with him and his supporters that they failed the Solzhenitsyn test: “The simple act of an ordinary brave man is not to participate in lies, not to support false actions! His rule: Let that come into the world, let it even reign supreme—only not through me.”

During the past four years, the right-wing ecosystem became more and more rabid. Many prominent evangelical supporters of the president are either obsequious (TG: I had to look this up: obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree)., like Franklin Graham, or delusional, like Eric Metaxas, and they now peddle their delusions as being written by God. QAnon and the Proud Boys, Newsmax and One America News, Alex Jones and Tucker Carlson—all have been emboldened.

Still, having Trump out of office has to help. He’s going to find out that there’s no comparable bully pulpit. And the media, if they are wise, will cut off his oxygen, which is attention. They had no choice but to cover Trump’s provocations when he was president; when he’s an ex-president, that will change.

For the foreseeable future, journalists will rightly focus on the pandemic. But once that is contained and defeated, it will be time to go back to focusing more attention on things like the Paris accord and the carbon tax; the earned-income tax credit and infrastructure; entitlement reform and monetary policy; charter schools and campus speech codes; legal immigration, asylum, assimilation, and social mobility. There is also an opportunity, with Trump a former president, for the Republican Party to once again become the home of sane conservatism. Whether that happens or not is an open question. But it’s something many of us are willing to work for, and that even progressives should hope for.

• Plus1 2