Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

12 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I don't want to imply anything about Omar Manning in this thread but really didn't want to start a new thread for just this one question.  Do we know what happened to Manning?  Was he injured all year or was there some other reason he did not get PT?

The coaches said health, but nothing specific. This was a tough year for a lot of people, particularly guys moving away from home. FWIW I didn't hear any rumblings that he wasn't 'buying in' or whatever, just a very difficult transition. And injuries may have been a factor too, not sure there. 

Omar Manning just illustrates the irrational exuberance of a fan base during an offseason.  Exceptional contributions from transfers rarely happen and I agree with Ed Reed, stay in school and compete for your position rather than transfer.  

Now getting Ed Reed to "transfer" in as a new assistant coach this offseason might create some positive momentum for this program.

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

The coaches said health, but nothing specific. This was a tough year for a lot of people, particularly guys moving away from home. FWIW I didn't hear any rumblings that he wasn't 'buying in' or whatever, just a very difficult transition. And injuries may have been a factor too, not sure there. 

I heard a rumor that his grades we’re an issue but he played in a game so I really don’t know if that has much truth. 

1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Omar Manning just illustrates the irrational exuberance of a fan base during an offseason.  Exceptional contributions from transfers rarely happen and I agree with Ed Reed, stay in school and compete for your position rather than transfer.  

Now getting Ed Reed to "transfer" in as a new assistant coach this offseason might create some positive momentum for this program.

Well Manning isn't exactly the transfer that Reed was referring to in his writing. Manning went to a JC to qualify for D1 schools. Obviously didn't get on the field to help us this year but nothing to indicate he was a bad fit for the program. I'd withhold judgment for the time being.

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I don't want to imply anything about Omar Manning in this thread but really didn't want to start a new thread for just this one question.  Do we know what happened to Manning?  Was he injured all year or was there some other reason he did not get PT?

heard he couldnt grow a mustache so didnt earn that PT

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
18 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Well Manning isn't exactly the transfer that Reed was referring to in his writing. Manning went to a JC to qualify for D1 schools. Obviously didn't get on the field to help us this year but nothing to indicate he was a bad fit for the program. I'd withhold judgment for the time being.

Understood.  I was conflating two topics purposefully.  Overall, my point was that excitement over transfers, whether they be Juco or FBS, is unwarranted.  Rarely, do the results match the expectations.  For every Lavonte David, there are 20 Sam Kellers.

Whereas Juco players simply desire a roster spot at the FBS level, and rarely become All-Conference type performers, FBS transfers should try and persevere with the school they originally selected.  Focus on your education.

7 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Understood.  I was conflating two topics purposefully.  Overall, my point was that excitement over transfers, whether they be Juco or FBS, is unwarranted.  Rarely, do the results match the expectations.  For every Lavonte David, there are 20 Sam Kellers.

Whereas Juco players simply desire a roster spot at the FBS level, and rarely become All-Conference type performers, FBS transfers should try and persevere with the school they originally selected.  Focus on your education.

Its amazing how many times Bo struck gold with some of his juco players he brought in.  Perhaps pure luck but he had a solid run there in the early 10's bringing not only immediate impact guys into the program but legit all conf guys at that

To Bo's credit, I do think he had a good eye for talent evaluation (and you make a fair point).  Perhaps this is a quality derived from his NFL experience.  Given his tough stretch in coaching (end of NU Tenure and after), perhaps he should consider transitioning to scouting.  It would be a good career move, and might be better suited for his temperament.