Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

28 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Frost still has a history of dynamic offenses, and there is not as much competition for the targets. I believe OU signed 3 5 star receivers a couple years back. But with that being said, he may not have interest here - we're just dreaming big.

There's smoke around Pledger at least, but for the most part no we don't know. And the smoke is just that we've contacted him, not that he's seriously considering coming here. He did visit though, and similar to Rambo there's not a ton of competition and if you squint a little bit back to UCF and the back half of 2018 here this offense is appealing. Wondering if we'd also try and juggle Mills decision - I wouldn't hate having both, but if he comes back and the young backs take steps with their health I don't think we need Pledger. If Mills leaves, I'd really like to have an experienced back.

What have you done for me lately is what matters. The last 2 years have been a horrible offense. Little sign of a QB who can get him the ball to rack up stats. It is dreaming for sure to think he would consider this mess. No QB and 12 wins in 3 years.

The offense would be appealing if we were trending up not down. Unfortunately we are past being able to sell what happened 4 seasons ago. 2020-2019-2018-2017. We are going into 2021

26 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Frost still has a history of dynamic offenses, and there is not as much competition for the targets. I believe OU signed 3 5 star receivers a couple years back. But with that being said, he may not have interest here - we're just dreaming big.

There's smoke around Pledger at least, but for the most part no we don't know. And the smoke is just that we've contacted him, not that he's seriously considering coming here. He did visit though, and similar to Rambo there's not a ton of competition and if you squint a little bit back to UCF and the back half of 2018 here this offense is appealing. Wondering if we'd also try and juggle Mills decision - I wouldn't hate having both, but if he comes back and the young backs take steps with their health I don't think we need Pledger. If Mills leaves, I'd really like to have an experienced back.

I think we could land a lot of players, except WR, from the portal. It might just be my dissatisfaction with our downfield passing game but I can't imagine how a proven WR could look at the last few years of our offense and QB situation and think the move would benefit them. I'm not opposed to the idea, it just seems extremely unlikely.

Just now, JJ Husker said:

I think we could land a lot of players, except WR, from the portal. It might just be my dissatisfaction with our downfield passing game but I can't imagine how a proven WR could look at the last few years of our offense and QB situation and think the move would benefit them. I'm not opposed to the idea, it just seems extremely unlikely.

Does he block? No block no rock 

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I read a quote that Kiffin was saying he was only going to take more kids to fill out his high school class if they are a solid pickup. He was not going to take a kid just to fill the class because top level kids will be entering the portal and he would rather snag some of those players.

Has anyone ever said anything different?

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So I think many around the country are embracing the portal and I think we should too. Not saying it should be our top priority. But as many top talents enter the portal we would be foolish to not adapt to the new way of college football. Adjust with the times or get left behind.

We took three guys that 247 listed as being in the 2019 cycle: Noa, Vokolek and Daniels.  They all played and two were pretty decent contributors.  One is in the NFL

We took four listed in the 2020 cycle: Bubak, Nouili, Miller and Schlager.  Bubak was probably not expected to contribute.  I would guess the two OL guys will be in the mix going forward.  And I'd think Schlager will be a solid special teams guy.  None of them came in on scholarships.

We have two listed in the 2021 cycle so far: Martin and Kolarvic.  Martin was already a contributor this year and I'd think will be in the regular rotation going foward.  Kolarvic will probably be in the rotation at ILB.

So assuming we add at least one more for this cycle, we've been taking 3-4 per year and most are contributors. We've gotten a four-star recruit each year.  I'd say we're pretty much right with the times.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We took three guys that 247 listed as being in the 2019 cycle: Noa, Vokolek and Daniels.  They all played and two were pretty decent contributors.  One is in the NFL

We took four listed in the 2020 cycle: Bubak, Nouili, Miller and Schlager.  Bubak was probably not expected to contribute.  I would guess the two OL guys will be in the mix going forward.  And I'd think Schlager will be a solid special teams guy.  None of them came in on scholarships.

We have two listed in the 2021 cycle so far: Martin and Kolarvic.  Martin was already a contributor this year and I'd think will be in the regular rotation going foward.  Kolarvic will probably be in the rotation at ILB.

So assuming we add at least one more for this cycle, we've been taking 3-4 per year and most are contributors. We've gotten a four-star recruit each year.  I'd say we're pretty much right with the times.

Thats more than I thought. But none of them seem like solid splash pickups that helped get us over a hump or win games. Daniels he was a starter basically from day 1 so that is for sure a solid pickup. Martin may play regularly next year but nothing solid yet. 

44 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Also, I missed Falck on this list (because 247 didn't list him), which means our #2 returning receiving TE and #3 and #4 returning Wide Receivers are all portal additions.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I for one am shocked that you assumed things were worse than they were and then immediately shifted to trying to downplay them.

Tell me where I am off base. Outside of those 2 has anyone done anything to help us win a game? 

Martin may or may not help us next year. That is true. It all depends on some of the young talent we have and if they develop and make a name for themselves. I am not really sure what you are trying to get at. 

Other than Daniels has anyone done anything on that list that would make someone remember them?

8 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Tell me where I am off base. Outside of those 2 has anyone done anything to help us win a game? 

Martin may or may not help us next year. That is true. It all depends on some of the young talent we have and if they develop and make a name for themselves. I am not really sure what you are trying to get at. 

Other than Daniels has anyone done anything on that list that would make someone remember them?

I think that Culp guy is pretty memorable.  After all, he was 1st team all big 10.  

• Plus1 2
18 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Kentucky QB Terry Wilson in the portal.  Don't really get this one?

I in no way think it would happen, nor do I necessarily think it would be a good thing, but what a full circle it would be if he ended up finishing his career here after initially committing here, and then eventually going to Oregon, where I'm assuming Frost recruited him to. 

34 minutes ago, cornheadnation said:

I in no way think it would happen, nor do I necessarily think it would be a good thing, but what a full circle it would be if he ended up finishing his career here after initially committing here, and then eventually going to Oregon, where I'm assuming Frost recruited him to. 

We don't need him.  Let him go play for Frank.