Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

57 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Since the transfer portal officially went online in October 2018, 30 Husker scholarship guys have entered the portal.  Only four went directly to a scholarship at another Power 5 school: Lightbourn (Oregon State), Vedral (Rutgers), Spielman (TCU) and Fleming (Maryland).  Guy Thomas (Colorado via a JUCO) and Miles Jones (walk-on at Tennessee but since left the team) were on other Power 5 teams under other circumstances.

Feels like a lot but also seems to be average for a lot of teams across the country (~8-12 a year). At 85 scholarships, not surprising to see 10-15% turnover. 

29 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Feels like a lot but also seems to be average for a lot of teams across the country (~8-12 a year). At 85 scholarships, not surprising to see 10-15% turnover. 

I dont see anything wrong with 8 or so either. BUT- I would prefer to see them be a Junior or Senior who it is apparent at that point they will never be a contributor. Freshman and sophomores it is too early to tell. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I dont see anything wrong with 8 or so either. BUT- I would prefer to see them be a Junior or Senior who it is apparent at that point they will never be a contributor. Freshman and sophomores it is too early to tell. 

Agreed, perfect example is Boe Wilson. If he stays, he might have a split duty again so it makes sense that he may look elsewhere to go enjoy an opportunity in his last season.

That said, as @Mavric pointed out - Anderson, Lynn and Fritzsche are all at the tackle spots where players in their class or younger are already starting at their positions. Sure, it would be ideal if they stuck it out and competed to win a spot. However, given that they have limited eligibility, it's understandable that they may go somewhere else and get a better opportunity. 

Since the staff overloaded on the offensive line recruiting a couple years ago (signed six I believe), I think some attrition would be expected after a few years. Now, hopefully they have a better handle on the depth and can be more methodical in adding a few every cycle instead of five-plus.

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

First, there is no way this passes any sort of Title IX scrutiny.  Not only are they talking about paying men's basketball players six times what they are playing women's basketball players, the overall men/women disparity will never fly.  

Second, are they only going to pay scholarship players and not walk-ons?  I'm sure that won't lead to lawsuits.  If so, a team like Nebraska is going to be getting tons more than other schools.  I'm sure that won't lead to lawsuits.

Third, as others have said, football pays for almost everything else.  It would kill almost all the minor sports.  Then that leads to more Title IX issues since schools have to have the minor sports to offset the scholarships for football.  That will lead to lawsuits.

Fourth, there aren't that many baseball players on full scholarship.  Most get 1/4 to 1/2.  So a very few would be getting something and everyone else gets nothing.  I'm sure that won't lead to lawsuits.  Or coaches manipulating who is on what kind of scholarship to either help recruit a player or not have to play anyone.  That seems like a great idea.

In short, this is never going to happen.  It sounds really good to throw out there but isn't workable in any semblance of reality.

NCAA already trying something like this.

Both Republican and Dems have different bills submitted addressing the issues.

The sports listed are those that generate the most revenue.

Last years figure was 85 BILLION in revenue.

Unsure if this includes both FBS and FCS.

A lot of smoke.  For no fire.

Something will happen.  Maybe not to the extreme they are trying, but it will. 

Lastly, it's a 60 page bill. Interesting read.  

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

Since the transfer portal officially went online in October 2018, 30 Husker scholarship guys have entered the portal.  Only four went directly to a scholarship at another Power 5 school: Lightbourn (Oregon State), Vedral (Rutgers), Spielman (TCU) and Fleming (Maryland).  Guy Thomas (Colorado via a JUCO) and Miles Jones (walk-on at Tennessee but since left the team) were on other Power 5 teams under other circumstances.

This is why the TP is not as big of a deal as fans want to make it out to be.

The TP is helping teams cut dead weight and occasionally ad a few pieces that can help. 

5 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Anything you can share.

Granted im not hooked in at all and live states away so it would be nice to get some information. 

All straight from Kentucky beat writers on twitter. Word is a big transfer and Wandale seems to be everyones thought. Like I said, nothing concrete but a little smoke. If it picks up it'll be all over this board I'm sure haha. 

• Plus1 1