Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

7 minutes ago, Decked said:

No but I’ll just be here to collect your L

Worst comes to worst I eat crow after using legitimate sources instead of grasping at straws like most other rumors spouted in here and we have Wan’Dale and win 3-4 games next year. 

The optimism is radiating today. 

Hopefully he stays as he has given no indication that he’s leaving to this point. If he does decide to leave, I’ll wish him the best but hope it opens up the staff to getting back to being creative again. Felt like a lot of touches were forced last season. Hoping a full 2021 (spring football, camp and season will be big for us).

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, lo country said:

Not in "mass exodus" territory.  Yet.  But we are getting into the "you have got to be sh!tt!ng me" territory if both leave. 

Des Howard, when speaking about Herman getting fired said that Herman couldn't relate to the kids like Campbell and Allen can.  Said Herman was "all his way or the highway".  HE DIDNT ALLUDE to Frost, but I wonder if this might be an issue in general with Frost.  Again, just throwing out any ideas to figure out why we still suck.

I have no idea if Frost is a good coach/great coach/poor coach. I guess we’ll know on 20 years. The only way for  me to judge is the product I see on the field and the win/loss record he has here. UCF doesn’t matter to me anymore. I have no idea about talent either. I know lots love to look at recruiting stars, but I think there’s more to it then that. 

BUT the willingness to throw these years away to build “culture” has never rang right with me. Don’t ask me to restate exact words from 2018/19/20, but you all know as well as I do the coach speak from Frost and Moos was this is a project that has to be completely rebuilt and that 3-5 years and Frost was going to do it his way.  Many players were shown the door because of the Frost culture. Sure, a few would have left anyway, as there is always discipline issues, but what was wrong with making adjustments to win early and win often?  the best recruiting tool is winning. 

and really by year three, shouldn’t we have seen some improvement?  Several of you have argued with me vehemently that there is progress. But why do you have to be an insider or an x’s or o’s guru to see it? 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, lo country said:

Not in "mass exodus" territory.  Yet.  But we are getting into the "you have got to be sh!tt!ng me" territory if both leave. 

Des Howard, when speaking about Herman getting fired said that Herman couldn't relate to the kids like Campbell and Allen can.  Said Herman was "all his way or the highway".  HE DIDNT ALLUDE to Frost, but I wonder if this might be an issue in general with Frost.  Again, just throwing out any ideas to figure out why we still suck.

I do think there is a little something to this however I’ll tell you this.. At my high school we had basketball coach could be a real hard a$$. He made players practice much longer then they were supposed to, chewed a$$, etc, etc. but at the end of the day good players didn’t quit amd nobody said a word because we were happy we were winning. State tournament every year, multiple state titles. And then he moved on and the next coach that came in sucked. He tried to be a hard a$$ too and got ran off pretty quickly.  When you’re not winning players quit believing what you’re selling, and they start reacting differently when you coach them hard. 

Now Frost is a young coach, I think he can probably relate to players just fine. But he cannot relate to the losing mentality that they seem to have and I’d venture to guess he has a hard time handling it. He seemed extremely frustrated and almost lost this year.. I can’t imagine it’s been a lot of fun playing on this team the last two years. 

6 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Realism. I don't know what anyone has seen that would inspire optimism. I'm going into next season expecting a 5th straight bowl-less season. If we happen to be decent, then I'll welcome the surprise. 

Well a defense that has improved each year, an offense that has been admittedly terrible... hard to imagine it being worse and a few 5th year guys wanting to come back and give it another go. If the program was in fire sale mode, I wouldn’t expect them to come back.

Like many fans, I don’t want to see WR leave. However, my hope is that if he does decide to leave, the coaches will get creative again and the young guys get a full camp schedule in 2021. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Farms said:

I do think there is a little something to this however I’ll tell you this.. At my high school we had basketball coach could be a real hard a$$. He made players practice much longer then they were supposed to, chewed a$$, etc, etc. but at the end of the day good players didn’t quit amd nobody said a word because we were happy we were winning. State tournament every year, multiple state titles. And then he moved on and the next coach that came in sucked. He tried to be a hard a$$ too and got ran off pretty quickly.  When you’re not winning players quit believing what you’re selling, and they start reacting differently when you coach them hard. 

Now Frost is a young coach, I think he can probably relate to players just fine. But he cannot relate to the losing mentality that they seem to have and I’d venture to guess he has a hard time handling it. He seemed extremely frustrated and almost lost this year.. I can’t imagine it’s been a lot of fun playing on this team the last two years. 

And this is what I cannot understand.  How are we still pulling the kids we are?  Are they told one thing and sold another? Recruiting "wrong" guys?  JoJo coming back makes me think things are good, but then again, all I see in the portal are offensive kids.  And that's Frost's shop.....It's also the side of the ball not a lot of improvement other than Beckton and the TE's.  Although I think they are under utilized.

4 minutes ago, theknife said:

It's ok, cue up the 2011 New England offensive tape and we are running 2 TEs with Allen and Fidone :dunno

That's what I am hoping.  More power run with 12/13 personnel.  Use a TE and a HB.  More TE play in the passing game and red zone. Get creative with what we have, not what we want.

• Thanks 1

Now the #1 jersey offered to the Hawaii WR that Nebraska might land in Feb. signing day makes more sense. 

I do think it would be pretty dumb to go to Kentucky from a football perspective. 

The offense needs to thrive in all phases, not feature Wandale, IMO. Could be a blessing, IMO. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
31 minutes ago, lo country said:

And this is what I cannot understand.  How are we still pulling the kids we are?  Are they told one thing and sold another? Recruiting "wrong" guys?  JoJo coming back makes me think things are good, but then again, all I see in the portal are offensive kids.  And that's Frost's shop.....It's also the side of the ball not a lot of improvement other than Beckton and the TE's.  Although I think they are under utilized.

That’s why I suspect the stars system of evaluation is not reliable. I think we have athletic guts but not mentally mature. To be more than good, I think a prospect needs athleticism and mental acumen. We’re getting some mentally fragile kids exasperated by the portal and Covid. 

57 minutes ago, Farms said:

Now Frost is a young coach,

he’s not that young anymore 

57 minutes ago, Farms said:

I can’t imagine it’s been a lot of fun playing on this team the last two years. 

what’s the percentage- like 94% don’t play pro ball. Can you imagine being constantly scrutinized and living under a microscope in Lincoln?  Without the winning, the allure of living in Lincoln is not that strong. 

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, uberism said:

Now the #1 jersey offered to the Hawaii WR that Nebraska might land in Feb. signing day makes more sense. 

I do think it would be pretty dumb to go to Kentucky from a football perspective. 

The offense needs to thrive in all phases, not feature Wandale, IMO. Could be a blessing, IMO. 

That’s not the reason but..they are trying to finish off the class with the most talent left available 

• Plus1 1