Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

That's not the tone of any of the rest of your posts in this thread.  But hey, it's the internet....

The OL is primarily what is setting us back right now.  We have some young guys on the DL looking very good.  Probably NFL futures for them 

The OL takes longer.  And yes, Frost bears the responsibility for this but starting with his second recruiting class he is bringing in the body types and talent we need on the OL.

Guys like Corcoran, Piper and Benhart are the level we need 

But they are very inexperienced.  The DL doesn't need the experience or communication required by an OL.

So I'm way less concerned about a player like Wandale possibly leaving than I am focusing on the OL recruiting and development.

Well then you are going to continue to see the losses pile up if you don't have offensive play makers.  Also continued blame for the OL is tired.   They weren't awful.  QB is the most concerning position and it's not even close.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

If AM makes a huge leap forward then that alone will make up for Wandale lost production.  

So, what would happen to Wandale's production if AM makes a huge leap forward?  Then, how much would Wandale's production increase even more if both the OL and another receiver improved?

We are better with Wandale and other things getting better.  Wandale is not the problem.  No one in the WR room is better than him currently ... or Frost would have been playing them.

16 minutes ago, Toe said:

And that's the spot where we've been sorely lacking the last two years.

Martinez can't throw deep? He didn't seem to have any trouble throwing to Stanley Morgan! Some here think Verduzco cast some voodoo hex on Martinez. But there's a much simpler explanation: nobody has really stepped up and filled Morgan's shoes since he's been gone. Of course, the hope this year was that Manning would step into the X role, but nobody really knows what's going on with him.

Find a legit deep threat that defenses have to respect, and all that shorter stuff to guys like Wandale open up for bigger gains, as do the running game and those swing passes that some here love to rage on so much.

In 2019 he also had to guess where the snap was going to go. Not as much this year, but once that stuff gets into the head it don’t leave. 

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not sure this really proves very much but:

Player - Targets - Total Catches - 1st Downs

Robinson - 64 - 51 - 18

Allen - 27 - 18 - 10

Falk - 20 - 13 - 6

Vokolek - 17 - 9 - 6

Betts - 14 - 12 - 5

Martin - 10 - 5 - 3

How many were those stupid swing passes?  The level of difficulty for a swing pass is low. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

So, what would happen to Wandale's production if AM makes a huge leap forward?  Then, how much would Wandale's production increase even more if both the OL and another receiver improved?

We are better with Wandale and other things getting better.  Wandale is not the problem.  No one in the WR room is better than him currently ... or Frost would have been playing them.

I didn’t say Wandale was the problem.  I did say NU wants to keep players like Wandale because you want to keep as much talent as possible.  It is not the end of the program if he transfers.  

Wandales 2020 yards from scrimmage can be offset by increases in production from other receivers if AM can learn to find them when open and throw a deep ball that is catchable.  

We also hope that those in WR room take a step forward after another offseason, same with OL and the young RB’s.  

Someone or ones are going to get Wandale’s snaps, the question is can that person or persons replicate the production.  

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What point are you trying to make with this post?

They are easier to catch and there was more of them is my point. How many swing passes is a TE going to catch?  But maybe the swing pass is a perfect play for a small hybrid receiver.   I’d be interested in knowing what type of player Wandale wants to be? 

you always sound so snarky. 

11 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

They are easier to catch and there was more of them is my point. How many swing passes is a TE going to catch?  But maybe the swing pass is a perfect play for a small hybrid receiver.   I’d be interested in knowing what type of player Wandale wants to be? 

you always sound so snarky. 

Yes, those swing passes are relatively easy completions and a good opportunity to get a player like Wandale the ball in space. They also do a good job of stretching the defense horizontally, which opens up opportunities for downfield passes to tight ends down the middle.  I don’t really see anything wrong with those swing passes, but you seem to not like them very much. 

8 hours ago, HANC said:

Horizontal passing game or running? Serious question, how many jet sweeps did Rondale actually break during his 2 years. He is huge weapon, and I have mentioned jets, but then as I sit back, I cant think if many he has produced....honestly, not a ton of bubble or tunnel screens either. He just seems to make plays by finding holes in zones downfield 

Horizontal spread is run or pass.  Same concepts at times. He is not going to move safeties out of the box to respect downfield pass concepts. The key to a successful spread offense depends on all areas being threatened every play.  We don’t have a guy on our team to stretch it vertically.  Wandale can stress the LB and underneath coverage and run fits, but when it comes to the shell of good defenses he is not too big of a threat. Frost scheme does a great job of getting him in spots to be successful for what we have at the skill spots. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, those swing passes are relatively easy completions and a good opportunity to get a player like Wandale the ball in space. They also do a good job of stretching the defense horizontally, which opens up opportunities for downfield passes to tight ends down the middle.  I don’t really see anything wrong with those swing passes, but you seem to not like them very much. 

They didn’t yield great results. So why? And maybe it seems like there were a lot of them because they seem to work but never left the playbook. 

2 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

The key to a successful spread offense depends on all areas being threatened every play.

Yeah Wandale is just one piece to the puzzle. This offseason it should be Frost's priority to make sure we have all the pieces to effectively stress the defense and see this thing humming like it was at UCF, Oregon. Develop that young offensive line, get mills back or find a back that can carry the brunt of the load, find a downfield threat, make sure the glimpses of AM we all fell in love with - is the AM we see consistently. Wandale is a leader, a puzzle piece we had in place and didn't have to worry about. In an off-season we need to gain a couple pieces, we might be kicking this thing off by losing one instead. 

• Plus1 1