Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

Just now, suh_fan93 said:

I hope for the love of God he told the very same thing to Frost and Lubick.  Kind of lock knock knock.  Wake up.  Is anybody home????

I don't get the quote.  He love the number of touches AND how he got them.  What does he mean by "they don't translate to the way I want them to for the NFL."?  

If anything, I'd think it would be good for his NFL chances.  No blocking?  Ok, find a tiny crease and make gain.  Poor pass?  Ok, make a good catch?  Wouldn't being productive when a lot of things are stacked against you be a positive on a resume?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

I don't get the quote.  He love the number of touches AND how he got them.  What does he mean by "they don't translate to the way I want them to for the NFL."?  

If anything, I'd think it would be good for his NFL chances.  No blocking?  Ok, find a tiny crease and make gain.  Poor pass?  Ok, make a good catch?  Wouldn't being productive when a lot of things are stacked against you be a positive on a resume?

The problem, as @BIG ERN pointed out, is that he's an undersized player without the breakaway speed. I agree that the quote doesn't make sense as he was the one player with touch quotas on offense. I am inclined to believe that it was a handicap for the team as coaches had to press to find ways to get him the ball XX times per game. Instead of rolling with Mills or hitting a pass to a tight end, they forced passes and runs to WR. Hopefully his departure will be mutually beneficial in the long run but obviously stings right now. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

He's probably too classy to just come out and say it...but his further development was going to be hamstrung by crappy coaching if he stayed at Nebraska. It's not just about touches, it is about development and direction.

If he thinks his ceiling is higher and good coaching can help him reach that ceiling, then he owed it to himself to find a different place to play. 

• Plus1 4

Wandale's dad was trying to get him pulled out of Nebraska last year too. He never wanted him here and was always tweet, liking stupid negative s#!t on Twitter about Nebraska. The "I want to run a speific route for the NFL" is dumb too. You don't need to run a specific route or two in college for the NFL to know what you can do and can't do. 

Wouldn't shock me if Wandale has a similar path as JD - think the grass is greener elsewhere and ends up on not having the type of season that he wanted that he would have had by staying pat and going out and working. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
47 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Here is a good read from Sipple.  My apologies if this was already posted here in this thread.

One problem with this arcticle is that you don't get to say that Wandale was the better RB even when Mill's was healthy and then turn around and act like Mill's leaving would be devastating. Listen, if 5'8 170 pounds is out performing Mill's, then losing whatever Mill's brought to this offense isn't the end of the world. We have to be better at that position, not cling to the hope of a guy that isn't getting it done 2 years in a row.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

One problem with this arcticle is that you don't get to say that Wandale was the better RB even when Mill's was healthy and then turn around and act like Mill's leaving would be devastating. Listen, if 5'8 170 pounds is out performing Mill's, then losing whatever Mill's brought to this offense isn't the end of the world. We have to be better at that position, not cling to the hope of a guy that isn't getting it done 2 years in a row.

Sipple has a boner for big running backs, so he loves Mills.  Mills is ok, but not great, and is as productive as his o-line allows him to be.  I do agree that NU needs to fix the I-back position, but I don't think Mills is the automatic answer.  

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, uberism said:

Wandale's dad was trying to get him pulled out of Nebraska last year too. He never wanted him here and was always tweet, liking stupid negative s#!t on Twitter about Nebraska. The "I want to run a speific route for the NFL" is dumb too. You don't need to run a specific route or two in college for the NFL to know what you can do and can't do. 

Wouldn't shock me if Wandale has a similar path as JD - think the grass is greener elsewhere and ends up on not having the type of season that he wanted that he would have had by staying pat and going out and working. 

I think the whole NFL thing was an unnecessary jab at SF and the program, IF all of his "love for the program" is geniune !  They kind of contradict each other a bit.

• Fire 1

This can be shades of grey. I think if COVID doesn't happen and give his mom a health scare Wandale is still here. I also don't think if he had 1,100 receiving yards last year he'd be transferring regardless of his mom. It's probably some mix of both plus alleged pressure from his dad and trainer, but we can never really know. The "I want NFL touches" thing is a little nonsensical considering he's probably going to transfer to an absolute offensive wasteland in Kentucky, but he's a teenager.

It's going to suck because he was a clearly talented player on the outside which we desperately need, but best thing to do is just wish him well and hope the younger guys can replace him. I don't think this is a total indictment of Frost or how things are going, but it's also probably not a good thing and he's probably not blameless here.

• Plus1 1