Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

1 minute ago, J-MAGIC said:

This can be shades of grey. I think if COVID doesn't happen and give his mom a health scare Wandale is still here. I also don't think if he had 1,100 receiving yards last year he'd be transferring regardless of his mom. It's probably some mix of both plus alleged pressure from his dad and trainer, but we can never really know. It's going to suck because he was a clearly talented player on the outside which we desparately need, but best thing to do is just wish him well and hope the younger guys can replace him. I don't think this is a total indictment of Frost or how things are going, but it's also probably not a good thing and he's probably not blameless here.

To throw another scenario out... what happens if the BIG doesn't play a season? Wan'Dale is back home with his mom and realizes how much he misses the program and excited to get back to Lincoln. Flip side, he could also realize how much he enjoys being home and close to momma as well I guess. 

4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Just an FYI these are some of the last 10 people Luke has followed on twitter: Matt Campbell, QB Coach at ND, QB Coach at NDSU, Jeff Brohm, Pat Fitzgerald. 

Luke always wanted to be a QB. Can’t blame him but realistically he was gonna be a wildcat QB or WR long term here. Doesn’t have the arm talent. 

• Plus1 1

Sounds like the vote had to do with it too. Not so much the result but the messaging of splintering your team into factions of those who want to play, those who don’t, and those ‘tweeners who don’t want to choose a side. Frost has little to no control of the locker room. Self reflection and a koombaya is gonna be needed to save himself

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm pretty sure Frost and Lubick are just as frustrated at the offense and lack of production from a variety of play makers.

They are.  They didn't want him to have to play in the backfield this year.  They talked about that before the season.  But the injuries/issues with a bunch of running backs along with trying to get Wan'Dale the ball as much as possible led to the change in plans.  It's unfortunate that apparently trying to get him as much opportunity as possible was seen as a bad thing.  Maybe he he saw it as not living up to what he was told in the offseason.

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Stepp is supposedly N but finalizing transcripts

Stepp would be a really interesting addition.  Div 1 experience and we don't have a scholarship RB really anywhere close to his size at 6' 235.  That's 10 lbs heavier than Ziggy was his senior year.  In 2019, he averaged over 6 yards per carry.

Nice thing is, RB should be one of the easiest positions for someone to come in and make a splash immediately.

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

They are.  They didn't want him to have to play in the backfield this year.  They talked about that before the season.  But the injuries/issues with a bunch of running backs along with trying to get Wan'Dale the ball as much as possible led to the change in plans.  It's unfortunate that apparently trying to get him as much opportunity as possible was seen as a bad thing.  Maybe he he saw it as not living up to what he was told in the offseason.

I definitely understand that you want to find ways to get the ball in the hands of your best players but I often felt we pressed too hard to get the ball to Wan'dale.  I know we were decimated at running back this year but was he really the best option there even with the injuries?  Maybe he was but I do believe Frost felt that he had to get him x amount of touches at all cost to keep him happy, which obviously didn't pan out anyway.  I felt the same way about McCaffrey at times.  We brought him in just to get him touches but was often not affective.  I have a feeling you will disagree but curious what your opinion is on that.  

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

One problem with this arcticle is that you don't get to say that Wandale was the better RB even when Mill's was healthy and then turn around and act like Mill's leaving would be devastating. Listen, if 5'8 170 pounds is out performing Mill's, then losing whatever Mill's brought to this offense isn't the end of the world. We have to be better at that position, not cling to the hope of a guy that isn't getting it done 2 years in a row.

Fair point.  I was frankly surprised with how direct Sipple was in his criticism and questioning of Frost's leadership of this program.  He talks about the "pilot" (Frost) seeming calm and capable but the last sentence says "Hope he knows what he is doing."  Not exactly words that inspire confidence, and I have to say I am in agreement with this assesment. I think we are all looking for hope for the future of the program, but it's been trending sideways at best under Frost.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I think Frost was in a bit of a bind on how to get Wan'Dale more touches. I think he envisioned getting Wan'Dale the ball out in the flat but the current QBs struggled with consistency on the bubble and swing passes - so he had to resort to getting him more touches on handoffs.

For all the nay sayers about throwing the flat/bubbles/swing passes from motion just look at what Alabama did last night. I know we don't have nearly the speed of Bama but such plays are a staple of a lot of modern offenses. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I think Frost was in a bit of a bind on how to get Wan'Dale more touches. I think he envisioned getting Wan'Dale the ball out in the flat but the current QBs struggled with consistency on the bubble and swing passes - so he had to resort to getting him more touches on handoffs.

For all the nay sayers about throwing the flat/bubbles/swing passes from motion just look at what Alabama did last night. I know we don't have nearly the speed of Bama but such plays are a staple of a lot of modern offenses. 

Yes those plays are good. BUT bama also had many successful downfield throws and a solid running game to compliment. It doesnt work for us because we do it all the time and none of the other stuff works either.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

Some members seem to think we are the leader for Stepp.  I do not research as much as many of you and really rely on some of you for my information, so I trust your posts.  But, when I research Stepp, many believe Wisconsin is where he will end up.  Of course, some of those predictions were a week ago.  

Just now, HANC said:

Some members seem to think we are the leader for Stepp.  I do not research as much as many of you and really rely on some of you for my information, so I trust your posts.  But, when I research Stepp, many believe Wisconsin is where he will end up.  Of course, some of those predictions were a week ago.  

I saw some of the same stuff I think, but we're trending more recently than Wisconsin. I'm optimistic - seems like he wants a chance to be the bell cow, and he'd be the thunder to Berger's lightning at Wisconsin. One of the smaller reasons I'm excited about potentially getting Stepp is Wisky wouldn't. Bigger reason is we need a back, obviously.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Yes those plays are good. BUT bama also had many successful downfield throws and a solid running game to compliment. It doesnt work for us because we do it all the time and none of the other stuff works either.

I completely agree. However, look at how they scored some of their early touchdowns inside the red zone, they were on passes to the flat from motion. They then later used that motion to run plays off of because of the effectiveness. So its kind of a which came first, chicken or the egg. 

1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

flat/bubbles/swing passes work great when your offense has already gashed the opposing defense for chunk plays and they have to back off as a result.  Our tendency to call these plays 20% of the time when we havent thrown it more than 5 yards and are gonna qb run 80% of the time is just dumb

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1