Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

We have two spots left and can't bring in anymore on scholarship for this class. Thus, get a final answer from Avante and for the final spot, if Avante wants in, just go for the best pure player you can get and call it good. Otherwise bring in another WR and best defensive player regardless of position. 

Ideally, IMO, you get Avante and then add another offensive player. 

And we will need 2 scholarship departures before fall camp starts. Plenty of time for that and we will easily get there. 

• Plus1 1

Some of it may depend on how the rest of the attrition goes. Mostly hearing/reading names that make sense (non-contributors who have dropped on the depth chart) but there’s always a chance we will get an unexpected name entering the portal and need to re-adjust scholarship plans. There’s been a couple rumors on the defensive side so we will just have to see how that all shakes out.

10 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

You got all these nice pieces in your house, and you out looking at garage sales??

Hope he helps, but I'm not buying into it. 

You already stocked up the dang pantry.  Stop shopping for new groceries.  Just fix a hot plate with what you have in your kitchen cabinets and fridge.  If you can't put it together by now, then you shouldn't be cooking with the RB's (ahem, position coach and entire staff).

• Plus1 2

I think there's basically two options for Luke: change positions or leave. I don't think the coaches are gonna be too interested in him as a QB going forward. Lord knows we need help at WR, though, so maybe he can find another role on the team.

8 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Starting to see rumblings that Luke may be next.  Hope it's not true but if he is dead set on qb it may be true.  Just posting what i saw on reddit for future reference.

Eh, maybe then Frost will actually go after a decent QB in the transfer portal, although not too sure who all is out there that might be worth it. 

Luke rumors had been out there but I kinda half expected him to get some cold, hard truths when looking at transferring and just end up coming back. I’m not sure he’s going to have the options that he thinks he will but you never know I guess.

He’s got a ton of talent but is probably going to find himself losing a lot of QB reps in the spring and fall camps for us.

9 hours ago, FearAmeer said:

Eh, maybe then Frost will actually go after a decent QB in the transfer portal, although not too sure who all is out there that might be worth it. 

There are a couple that were highly rated out of high school but no obvious upgrades.  The highest ranked dual threat guy is N'Kosi Perry from Miami.  He was a highly ranked 4 star out of high school.  He doesn't look any better than Logan imo and no real reason to pursue him.  If we wanted a pro style guy, Ryan Hilinski looks the part and is the highest ranked QB available right now.  

Long story short, there are no obvious immediate upgrades in the portal.

47 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

He started following Coach Brohm and NDSU coaches recently.

I have said a handful of times (not on HB), that if Luke is truly set on playing QB, a school such as NDSU or SDSU may be the best route.  I still am not convinced that he will ever be a great passing QB, but in the right offense that fits him he could be fantastic.  He has some Eric Crouch qualities about him.  If he wants to play in the NFL, it will not be at QB.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the other schools, wont feed him a line, get him on campus, he competes for QB spot, and eventually is in the same scenario that he faces here...... unfortunately for another team.  Hopefully not an opponent.

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Kind of funny how things develop.  Two months ago people were sure that Chins was terrible and McCaffrey needed to be our starting QB.  Weird how things you think you know can turn out to be totally wrong.

Three months ago I was wondering why on earth anyone thought McCaffrey had a chance of unseating Martinez when he was obviously running a limited set of plays and not doing much passing. (I pretty much ignored the QB competition thread because I get tired of reading some of the s#!t takes around here, lol.) A year ago I was wondering why on earth people were blaming everything on Chin when his side of the ball had improved while the offense had tanked.  :dunno

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

Three months ago I was wondering why on earth anyone thought McCaffrey had a chance of unseating Martinez when he was obviously running a limited set of plays and not doing much passing. (I pretty much ignored the QB competition thread because I get tired of reading some of the s#!t takes around here, lol.) A year ago I was wondering why on earth people were blaming everything on Chin when his side of the ball had improved while the offense had tanked.  :dunno

Sorry if that came off as an attack on you.  I was just trying to use your post to illustrate how overall perceptions have changed so far so fast.

I agree that I was one of the few that was trying to point out that McCaffrey really didn't play any better against Penn State than what we'd seen out of Martinez.  I even said it was probably a worse performance.  A week later most people found out that it wasn't as rosy as they thought.  And I was also one who said we made progress on defense last year - not great but noticeable.  And it was finally more noticeable by the end of this year.

• Plus1 1

Unfortunately with bringing back both safeties and adding a RB and a WR as transfers, that will almost assuredly mean a couple younger guys at those positions will decide to leave.  I think a couple of the young WRs were probably on the way out anyway.  But I would guess a couple other guys will get impatient.  Either now or after spring.

• Plus1 1