Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

Just thinking out loud.  Wondering about status of Xavier Watts at ND. Was reading article. They have a ton of guys in WR room that have experience and all have 2-3 years of eligibility left, along with 2 other players just like Watts that didnt catch a ball this year. They also have 3 incoming 4*.  I know they are so much better than Nebraska,  but in this day and age, makes me wonder if he doesn't play mu h next year, will he be ready to look around.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So are Juco’s still Jucos? Or do they they go to the portal too

except for some fairly uncommon situations. I’d rather take a chance on a Juco

I’d rather (given out staffs record of JUCO players) recruit as little of them as possible. All portal players & high school guys. 

1 hour ago, Decked said:

I’d rather (given out staffs record of JUCO players) recruit as little of them as possible. All portal players & high school guys. 

So guys that left the program they committed to?  I think we’re going to see how devoid the portal  is of talent. 1600+ and counting, all disgruntled in some way. 

reminds me of a garage sale. The leftovers just go to the dump. 

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

So guys that left the program they committed to?  I think we’re going to see how devoid the portal  is of talent. 1600+ and counting, all disgruntled in some way. 

reminds me of a garage sale. The leftovers just go to the dump. 

Some are guys who just want a change of scenary sure, but there are lots of reasons to leave the school you committed too. And you don't even have to use the extreme examples like Justin Fields, there have been a lot of success stories. Not the majority, but "devoid of talent" is a stretch. 

6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Some are guys who just want a change of scenary sure, but there are lots of reasons to leave the school you committed too. And you don't even have to use the extreme examples like Justin Fields, there have been a lot of success stories. Not the majority, but "devoid of talent" is a stretch. 

There is 1600 and growing. A change of scenery? Stick with your commitment.   

I bet a good share of these guys never finish college. This will be a hard life lesson for most. 

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

There is 1600 and growing. A change of scenery? Stick with your commitment.   

I bet a good share of these guys never finish college. This will be a hard life lesson for most. 

I do think most of them should stay where they are, sure. But there are some talented players with reasons for being there, and ignoring the portal is ignoring a lot of good chances to help the team. I'm not a fan of it being so easy either but it is what it is, and I think this staff has done a good job of being picky about the guys they target.

13 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I do think most of them should stay where they are, sure. But there are some talented players with reasons for being there, and ignoring the portal is ignoring a lot of good chances to help the team. I'm not a fan of it being so easy either but it is what it is, and I think this staff has done a good job of being picky about the guys they target.

I don't think you ignore the portal.  But, I personally would much rather just get good HS kids that want to be here, work hard and stay here.  

It's a little bit like marrying someone whose been divorced.  Sure, there are lots of good reasons why someone gets divorced, but it's probably best to figure out why before you dive into a relationship with them.  Sometimes they are divorced because of stuff out of their control.  Sometimes, they are the problem.  Sometimes they are the problem, realize it and have fixed the problem.

PS....no offense to anyone who has been divorced.

• Haha 4
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't think you ignore the portal.  But, I personally would much rather just get good HS kids that want to be here, work hard and stay here.  

It's a little bit like marrying someone whose been divorced.  Sure, there are lots of good reasons why someone gets divorced, but it's probably best to figure out why before you dive into a relationship with them.  Sometimes they are divorced because of stuff out of their control.  Sometimes, they are the problem.  Sometimes they are the problem, realize it and have fixed the problem.

Comparing a kid changing schools to breaking marital vows is a bit of a stretch don't you think? 

These kids make the best decision they can based on some phone conversations, maybe a visit or two, and what they can read on the internet.  Sometimes it just isn't a fit and I personally think it's good to give them a little slack when they have the guts to make a tough life decision in an effort to better themselves.  The data is out there and they know that it doesn't work out for most.  If they still choose to give it a shot, must mean they are pretty certain they don't want to be where they are.    

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Comparing a kid changing schools to breaking marital vows is a bit of a stretch don't you think? 

These kids make the best decision they can based on some phone conversations, maybe a visit or two, and what they can read on the internet.  Sometimes it just isn't a fit and I personally think it's good to give them a little slack when they have the guts to make a tough life decision in an effort to better themselves.  The data is out there and they know that it doesn't work out for most.  If they still choose to give it a shot, must mean they are pretty certain they don't want to be where they are.    

My example is an overly dramatic example. 

it was meant as more of an example of needing to find out why it didn’t work out at their last stop.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I feel the portal has changed high school recruiting. Why invest time, roster spots, training resources to a kid that you’re not sure will invest and trust in you?  I think we will  see a trend of teams recruiting regionally. At least that takes the homesick excuse out of it. 

At least with a Juco, you know they completed something and are moving on logically. You also have an idea on how they’re going to physically mature. They’ve also been around the block a bit and have transitioned away from momma’s cooking and household services a bit. The mental maturity aspect of player development is huge. 

And maybe this Covid year was special with the large numbers and guys getting to play an extra year. Not sure how that will skewed it. But just because you’re in the portal doesn’t mean that someone wants you. And what if no one wants you? Do you just put your tail between your legs and say sorry? Or do you just quit?