Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

7 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Normal or not, he hasnt improved the team. 

I am tired of the excuses for Frost. Every team had to deal with what the Huskers did. 

The lack of offense or growth or ability to call plays that work instead of the same plays over and over again.

I dont think we can afford to fire Frost this year or probably even next year, but he has to approach this thing differently. 

He reminds me of Bo, only hiring yes men instead of bringing in guys who can actually coach and handing off some responsibilities. 

I hope he turns it around but we have seen enough out of the last 3 years to have major questions on Frost and his coaching ability. 

Completely agree.  While I like confidence in a coach, it was his hubris that struck me from the outset.  "The Big Ten will need to adjust to us" when discussing offense or overtly expressing complete disinterest in special teams during one of his early Q&A sessions.  I believe the line was that he "didn't even know what those guys did" when talking about his kickers and preparation.

His offense was going to carry the program to new heights while defense and special teams were merely support mechanisms.  The reality is that some coaches are just better suited to non-power 5 schools.  I think Scott will find success again, just not with Nebraska.  In 2 years time, I think this will become clear.

3 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Completely agree.  While I like confidence in a coach, it was his hubris that struck me from the outset.  "The Big Ten will need to adjust to us" when discussing offense or overtly expressing complete disinterest in special teams during one of his early Q&A sessions.  I believe the line was that he "didn't even know what those guys did" when talking about his kickers and preparation.

His offense was going to carry the program to new heights while defense and special teams were merely support mechanisms.  The reality is that some coaches are just better suited to non-power 5 schools.  I think Scott will find success again, just not with Nebraska.  In 2 years time, I think this will become clear.

Meh, lots of fans loved the "adjust to us quote" at the time, and if I recall correctly it was more like "I hope they'll have to adjust to us" which is more of a commitment to his offensive style than it is a declaration of greatness. And the kicking line was a joke - they do spend a lot of time at practice not doing anything, if you punt and kick field goals for 2 hours straight every day you're not going to have the leg to be effective on Saturday. 

I posted it above, but the team has improved. If the W/L doesn't start to match the rankings in the next few years I'll be concerned, but backups transferring has no real impact on my views at the moment. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Also, take away the names and tell me you're worried about this walking out the door:

4* athlete/qb who did average 5.6 YPC, 3 TDs and 2 fumbles lost on 65 carries. Went 48/76 for 466 yards, 1 TD and 6 INTs as a passer. 

Walk-on receiver, voted a captain. 30 catches for 236 yards over 3 years. No TDs.

3* OL who appeared in 4 games (no starts) over 3 years

None of them were going to start, and they all have some talent. Like others have said, take away the names and it's not surprising or a big deal. Warner being a captain does make it bigger than his production/talent would imply, but it was a weird year and he does all the right things. Not intended to be a knock on him, but if the coaches selected captains I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been one - they tend to balance leadership and expected role on the team, where I think the players voted just based on the former (and lack of established playmakers on offense). 

Nebraska SP+ rankings

2012 - 23rd

2013 - 54th

2014 - 31st

2015 - 48th

2016 - 46th

2017 - 103rd

2018 - 56th

2019 - 55th

2020 - 32nd

Hate on the measures all you want - saying he hasn't improved the team is at best arguable, and in my opinion wrong. With the above and other stats supporting. Yeah, yeah - wins are all that matters, I know. But W/L would tell you 2009 (SP+ ranking: 7th) and 2016 were roughly equivalent teams. They were not.

I agree with your overall point, but we were 62nd in 2017, not 103rd.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, Farms said:

"Nebraska's offense is the worst I've ever seen." - Kurt Warner in (semi) private conversations.  And tweeting that he'd love for his sons to play for Matt Cambell in my opinion was throwing shade at our staff.  I know Kade is his own man but we really don't need that kind of s#!t around this program right now, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Maybe he should have tweeted at his own son to catch the fricken football in the end zone when wide open. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Completely agree.  While I like confidence in a coach, it was his hubris that struck me from the outset.  "The Big Ten will need to adjust to us" when discussing offense 

In all fairness, the defenses have had to adjust. Normally, they would need to game plan all week, make note of tendencies and formations and identify mismatches then come up with a scheme then practice executing that plan.  With us, that is not needed as teams can play base, vanilla defense and not worry about all that stuff because out offense sucks. In that sense, Scott was right :smokin

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Meh, lots of fans loved the "adjust to us quote" at the time, and if I recall correctly it was more like "I hope they'll have to adjust to us" which is more of a commitment to his offensive style than it is a declaration of greatness. And the kicking line was a joke - they do spend a lot of time at practice not doing anything, if you punt and kick field goals for 2 hours straight every day you're not going to have the leg to be effective on Saturday. 

I posted it above, but the team has improved. If the W/L doesn't start to match the rankings in the next few years I'll be concerned, but backups transferring has no real impact on my views at the moment. 

Some of our fans love to take things our coach says completely out of context or in pieces and twist them into meaning the most negative-possible outcome. It's weird as hell and I don't understand it! 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I agree with your overall point, but we were 62nd in 2017, not 103rd.

Not according to Football Outsiders, although I think they just grab it from whoever created it and display it alongside their F+ so quite possible it's wrong. I do actually have a hard time believing we were anywhere close to the 60s in 2017 though.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fplus/2017

EDIT: Oh, or SP+ and S&P+ might be different? I dunno, but the rankings I used were all from the site above.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

You are correct that he qualified the "adjust to us" line with the word hope.  Bottom line, when you are coming off an undefeated season and National Coach of the Year accolades, your comments are near bulletproof (and rightfully so).

It just seems entertaining now to look back at this given the clear shift in tone and attitude following 3 successive losing seasons.  Pronouncements of confidence seem in short supply now.  They may disappear entirely after Year 4.

4 minutes ago, KC Sker said:

In all fairness, the defenses have had to adjust. Normally, they would need to game plan all week, make note of tendencies and formations and identify mismatches then come up with a scheme then practice executing that plan.  With us, that is not needed as teams can play base, vanilla defense and not worry about all that stuff because out offense sucks. In that sense, Scott was right :smokin

"Post your linebackers, safeties and corners on the perimeter during the first possession of every game and wait for that swing pass to be delivered."  Per our "24/7" cub reporter, this is a confidential quote from a Big Ten Defensive Coordinator...

• Plus1 1

I really didn't want to debate if Sage sucks, or the players that transferred suck - why I hesitated even posting that tweet. Just wanted to discuss a possible disconnect between Frost and some of the players. Seems like the defensive guys mesh well together and with the coaches, even to the point Jojo, Stille, Cam all wanted to come back. Where starters/contributors on offense are quick to bolt, or leave early. Sean Callahan saying the offense didn't want to play a bowl, defense wanted to. It has at least given me pause and considering the possibility. 

• Plus1 1