Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

18 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Normal or not, he hasnt improved the team. 

I am tired of the excuses for Frost. Every team had to deal with what the Huskers did. 

The lack of offense or growth or ability to call plays that work instead of the same plays over and over again.

I dont think we can afford to fire Frost this year or probably even next year, but he has to approach this thing differently. 

He reminds me of Bo, only hiring yes men instead of bringing in guys who can actually coach and handing off some responsibilities. 

I hope he turns it around but we have seen enough out of the last 3 years to have major questions on Frost and his coaching ability. 

mmm.  He has.  Unfortunately I played on some really bad teams in HS and in College.  I know what improvement looks like.  The defense is SOOO much better.  Statistically they might have only improved marginally but guys for the most part are playing harder and are in the right spots.  They have tackled better and have shown toughness.  Offensively they have shown flashes of what they can do when on the same page.  Unfortunately they are inconsistent.  I think the lightbulb went on for the guys on defense and that's why almost everyone is returning.  Just need that to happen with the guys on offense 

• Plus1 5

23 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

mmm.  He has.  Unfortunately I played on some really bad teams in HS and in College.  I know what improvement looks like.  The defense is SOOO much better.  Statistically they might have only improved marginally but guys for the most part are playing harder and are in the right spots.  They have tackled better and have shown toughness.  Offensively they have shown flashes of what they can do when on the same page.  Unfortunately they are inconsistent.  I think the lightbulb went on for the guys on defense and that's why almost everyone is returning.  Just need that to happen with the guys on offense 

:facepalm:

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

:facepalm:

Seems weird but I followed my Dad to a HS who at the time my freshman year had the longest losing streak in the state of IN.  My freshman year we probably had the best athletes of my 4 years.  We didn't win a game my first two years and none of them were close.  Finished my senior yeat 10-2 as conference champs.  People were sick of losing and finally ready to put in the work.  In college I didn't get to play on a good "Team" but our defense my last two years was top 20 in multiple categories and won a few games by out scoring the opposing offense.  Sometimes the coaching is always there its just takes the right group of guys to say enough is enough. 

• Plus1 7
19 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Seems weird but I followed my Dad to a HS who at the time my freshman year had the longest losing streak in the state of IN.  My freshman year we probably had the best athletes of my 4 years.  We didn't win a game my first two years and none of them were close.  Finished my senior yeat 10-2 as conference champs.  People were sick of losing and finally ready to put in the work.  In college I didn't get to play on a good "Team" but our defense my last two years was top 20 in multiple categories and won a few games by out scoring the opposing offense.  Sometimes the coaching is always there its just takes the right group of guys to say enough is enough. 

Thanks. That's an interesting perspective. Seems to be supported by examples from other team sports at all levels. 

Obviously losing Wan'Dale Robinson hurts a bunch and you want an athlete like McCaffery on the team but maybe not as a QB. I think that people are missing the long term picture with transfers this year. Remember that every single player gets an extra year of eligibility out of this season. For example, Adrian Martinez will be a junior going into next year and Logan Smothers will have the same eligibility as a true freshman. However, the extra scholarships above the 85 limit is only good for those players that were seniors last year.  We don't know how many football scholarships teams will be allowed in 2022 and that makes things very interesting.

So we are at 89 scholarships for next year (with the possibility of adding two more). Let's make a wild example and say after next season and say no Huskers on scholarship quit, transfer, or go pro over the next year. We would bet at 83 scholarships in 2022, only able to add two more recruits total. 

Essentially, Nebraska (and almost every other school) needs noncontributing players to transfer out in order to build their future. Numbers are going to be very tight everywhere. Without the NCAA amending their 2022 scholarship rules, we will need about a dozen scholarship players to leave.

8 minutes ago, The_Fan_Man said:

So we are at 89 scholarships for next year (with the possibility of adding two more). Let's make a wild example and say after next season and say no Huskers on scholarship quit, transfer, or go pro over the next year. We would bet at 83 scholarships in 2022, only able to add two more recruits total. 

Essentially, Nebraska (and almost every other school) needs noncontributing players to transfer out in order to build their future. Numbers are going to be very tight everywhere. Without the NCAA amending their 2022 scholarship rules, we will need about a dozen scholarship players to leave.

The limit will undoubtedly be adjust for at least next year.  What it goes to and how fast it returns to normal will be the interesting things.

But I agree with your point that having non-contributors leave is a positive for everyone.  That pretty much the case every year.

19 minutes ago, The_Fan_Man said:

Obviously losing Wan'Dale Robinson hurts a bunch and you want an athlete like McCaffery on the team but maybe not as a QB. I think that people are missing the long term picture with transfers this year. Remember that every single player gets an extra year of eligibility out of this season. For example, Adrian Martinez will be a junior going into next year and Logan Smothers will have the same eligibility as a true freshman. However, the extra scholarships above the 85 limit is only good for those players that were seniors last year.  We don't know how many football scholarships teams will be allowed in 2022 and that makes things very interesting.

At the rate transfers are happening around the country I think it might just sort itself out. Unfortunately for most of those kids the other teams wont have room on their roster either so they will have to go down a level or 2. Or guys that are not in the 2-3 deep and are a junior or senior maybe programs will just have to push them out to get back to an 85 limit in a few years.

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

At the rate transfers are happening around the country I think it might just sort itself out. Unfortunately for most of those kids the other teams wont have room on their roster either so they will have to go down a level or 2. Or guys that are not in the 2-3 deep and are a junior or senior maybe programs will just have to push them out to get back to an 85 limit in a few years.

A bunch of the transfers seem to be because programs realize there is an inevitable scholarship crunch coming. I agree with Mavric that there is going to be some form of easement by the NCAA but who knows what form it will take? It's difficult to imagine a scenario where teams aren't forced to have smaller classes in 2022 and 2023 at least.

Assuming we want to take a QB in the upcoming class, the numbers dictated that we had to lose one quarterback. Ideally, McCaffery moving to WR or Martinez having such a great year that he was in demand as an NFL QB would have solved this problem but it had to happen in some form.

3 minutes ago, The_Fan_Man said:

A bunch of the transfers seem to be because programs realize there is an inevitable scholarship crunch coming. I agree with Mavric that there is going to be some form of easement by the NCAA but who knows what form it will take? It's difficult to imagine a scenario where teams aren't forced to have smaller classes in 2022 and 2023 at least.

Assuming we want to take a QB in the upcoming class, the numbers dictated that we had to lose one quarterback. Ideally, McCaffery moving to WR or Martinez having such a great year that he was in demand as an NFL QB would have solved this problem but it had to happen in some form.

I would happily take Freshman Martinez over Sophomore or Junior Martinez. 

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I would happily take Freshman Martinez over Sophomore or Junior Martinez. 

I don't think there is a likelihood of Adrian Martinez having a 2800/1000 season with a 4-to-1 TD/TO ratio but I wanted to put in the best case scenario for roster attrition that would have solved the problem.