Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

The 130 FBS schools, 121 transferring QBs stat is really eye opening. So many guys greatly overestimating their own value as a football player. Everybody wants to be The Man, but the cold reality is that most of them never will be.

• Plus1 9

2 hours ago, uberism said:

When you look at who transferred out the last couple of years and see what happened to them, one would think kids would start to realize the grass is not greener for the majority of those that transferred. 

K Dylan - no school listed

Cox - no school listed

Stalbird - South dakota state - has not seen the field

Moses Bryant - no school listed

Tony butler - kent state - only played in 4 games for 15 tackles

vedral - rutgers, 1,253 yards passing

chase - portland state - no season

jaiden francois - didn't see the field after a season at UCF

Forbes - Montana - no season

legrone - no school listed

bradly - no school listed

washington - no school liste

hunt - no school listed

woodyard - marshall - 1catch

miles jones - TN - never saw the field

mcquitty - south dakota - no season

jd - tcu - only played in 3 games for 5 catches - no post season invite to anywhere. He claimed to leave to do what is best for his career as a football player. That career appears to be over. 

henry gray - fiu - didn't see the field in 2020

paup - no school listed

jefferson - no school listed

So, the 2020 departures

- 1 basically ruined his football career going to TCU

- 15 didn't have a season in 2020 or didn't find a school (that is publicly found)

-  some might see the field at their current schools in the future, but impact at any of the schools if they were illegible. 

Cole - south dakota state - 1 field goal.

caleb - oregon state - 26 punts after two seasons

smith - no school listed

cam - smu - 14 tackles after 2 seasons

thomas - colorado - has not seen the field

dixon- no school listed

gebbia - was back up for most games but may start this year

bell - had about500 yards rushing

tyjon - only 29 catches after two seasons

roberts - 152 tackles in his college career

When you go through the 2019 departures, you can see that Gebbia will have become possible starter at Oregon state, roberts plays but nobody else that left would have made any difference in Nebraska winning games. 

The main take aways, would have been nice if Gebbia stayed for depth and spot play, if roberts would have put in the work he might have seen some playing time at Nebraska, but other than that we got to see JD ruin his career, and have to replace the freshman DB's that left. 

It's too early to do an analysis on the 2021 departures, but even some of them are not having schools call them - example is Warner where no school is showing interest yet. Haven't heard anything on McCafrey either yet. 

The list that he posted was a great snap shot.  Some produced elsewhere and some not so much. I think part of it is we have been void of "talent" so log that a lot of guys who have "success" we think are all world.  JD comes to mind as does Bell.  They transfer and really don't do much.  It also makes me hope Frost and Co really drill don our player evaluation.  Every kid playing in college "wants to play".  We need kids who "want to play here"......Also need to find a way to develop the kids.  They were not highly rated for no reason.  IMHO, Frost and Co are still learning how to be the head man at a major program that is rebuilding.....

26 minutes ago, Toe said:

The 130 FBS schools, 121 transferring QBs stat is really eye opening. So many guys greatly overestimating their own value as a football player. Everybody wants to be The Man, but the cold reality is that most of them never will be.

Justin Fields, Joe Burrow, Jaylen Hurts are just 3 that jump out to me.....Throw in Baker Mayfield as well.......

IIRC, on that list the "skill" positions were the largest percentage transferring.  I guess if you are behind a starter that has 2-3 years to play.  You will be a back up for that time period.  Other positions need more depth....

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

The list that he posted was a great snap shot.  Some produced elsewhere and some not so much. I think part of it is we have been void of "talent" so log that a lot of guys who have "success" we think are all world.  JD comes to mind as does Bell.  They transfer and really don't do much.  It also makes me hope Frost and Co really drill don our player evaluation.  Every kid playing in college "wants to play".  We need kids who "want to play here"......Also need to find a way to develop the kids.  They were not highly rated for no reason.  IMHO, Frost and Co are still learning how to be the head man at a major program that is rebuilding.....

Yep. I think they are starting to adjust the profiles of who they are recruiting though. I think if Frost can get a higher percentage of solid recruits that are from the Midwest it will pay off bigly as they are used to the Midwest lifestyle. Those Miami kids - don't waste time on them for a few years until we are winning at a higher level. It's a different life culture down there. 

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, lo country said:

Justin Fields, Joe Burrow, Jaylen Hurts are just 3 that jump out to me.....Throw in Baker Mayfield as well.......

IIRC, on that list the "skill" positions were the largest percentage transferring.  I guess if you are behind a starter that has 2-3 years to play.  You will be a back up for that time period.  Other positions need more depth....

These guys didn’t need the portal to transfer. They  knew where they were going and they would have transferred even if the portal didn’t exist. 

Russell Wilson, John Elway, Scott Frost..  all would have been in the portal if it were available.

But most of the 121 QBs that have entered the are not going to have similar outcomes.  

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

These guys didn’t need the portal to transfer. They  knew where they were going and they would have transferred even if the portal didn’t exist. 

Russell Wilson, John Elway, Scott Frost..  all would have been in the portal if it were available.

But most of the 121 QBs that have entered the are not going to have similar outcomes.  

I agree they'd transfer without the portal.  It's nothing new, just easier......I think that we are collectively looking for anything to explain what's happening (or not) at NU.  Staff, youth, scheme, transfer portal, whatever.....It's been rough..... 

3 hours ago, Decked said:

They are gonna go after two portal guys or potentially a JUCO. Makes no sense to grab a DL. Get a safety or two offensive guys. Hopefully a WR and maybe an OG. I don’t like the talent at that RG spot. It’s gonna be the same as last year as it sits. 

I believe we were going after a D-lineman from Northwestern, who was in the portal, but he may have looked/gone elsewhere. Thus, why I put it up there with Offensive guard. Still, I agree with taking another O-lineman and wide receiver. We could definitely take a younger DB if there isn't a wideout we need. We took a blow from losing a few of the Florida guys at those spots. However, it is still a solid group despite the attrition. 

22 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree they'd transfer without the portal.  It's nothing new, just easier......I think that we are collectively looking for anything to explain what's happening (or not) at NU.  Staff, youth, scheme, transfer portal, whatever.....It's been rough..... 

but conversely, it can be a way to clear some roster spots and soften the blow while doing it.    

I believe our situation might be a bit different then others. We’re seeing starters go to the portal and not just 2,3 and 4 deeps. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, krc1995 said:

but conversely, it can be a way to clear some roster spots and soften the blow while doing it.    

I believe our situation might be a bit different then others. We’re seeing starters go to the portal and not just 2,3 and 4 deeps. 

One starter each of the last two years.  Plenty of other teams have starters transferring including the west division champions this year.  Our situation is not different but the negative element to our fan base wants it to be.

• Plus1 7

18 hours ago, krc1995 said:

List all the starters we've had go to the portal.

It won't take you long.

• Plus1 3
19 hours ago, lo country said:

Kyler Murray also turned out pretty well, but a lot of credit goes to Lincoln Riley in developing an offense which can utilize those transfer QBs so well. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Kyler Murray also turned out pretty well, but a lot of credit goes to Lincoln Riley in developing an offense which can utilize those transfer QBs so well. 

Yeah, 3 out of the 5 top examples everytime this is discussed (Mayfield, Murray, Hurts) all went to OU.  Seems like the exception rather than the rule.

• Plus1 1