Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

8 minutes ago, Toe said:

What I love is guys who are homesick or want to go to a school close to home but also want to make it in the NFL (*cough Wandale cough*). Like dude, you ain't gonna have a choice in the NFL. If the Packers decide they want you, enjoy your new life in Green Bay, Wisconsin!

I get what you're saying but it's very different for an 18-year old than for a 22-year-old. Worlds of personal development in those years.

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I get what you're saying but it's very different for an 18-year old than for a 22-year-old. Worlds of personal development in those years.

Jmo, an environment (less restrictive transfer rules) where facing some levels of emotional growth is becoming less needed cannot help in the growth of a young person. With that said, there are likely benefits as well (less stress, etc).

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

And it's different having really good bank to travel, bring your family in, set them up where you are etc....I don't remember every hearing a guy in the NFL talk about how "hard it is to be away from family".  As you said, I've been homesick as an 18 year old....Now.  Nope

3 hours ago, Toe said:

What I love is guys who are homesick or want to go to a school close to home but also want to make it in the NFL (*cough Wandale cough*). Like dude, you ain't gonna have a choice in the NFL. If the Packers decide they want you, enjoy your new life in Green Bay, Wisconsin!

Right, but why make that choice if you actually do still have an option in college. No reason to punish yourself or your family just to prepare for what may happen someday.

That's like saying you should move into a nursing home when you're 60 because you need to prepare for being cared for and having a less active lifestyle.

Let the kid spend a year close to his family and then see where things lead.

transfer portal sucks. Straight up. 

there’s a reason a school recruited you.   but welcome to D1 football, son...it’s the best of the best, before NFL. 

earn it, win it, change a position, bide your time, play special teams, get better, or wait 1-2yrs and get yours when you can get it. Just grow! 

Or...transfer after 1-2 yrs and good luck when 1k-1.5k kids every year think they can go “where they want me” or “I can be in a system that shines my talent”. 

D1 has turned into Juco sadly:  1-2 yrs, if I’m not in, I’m gone...

Gotta stop this bulls#!t...universities spend $15k+  recruiting a 3-5* player and they just bust out?? Plus if they’re here 1-2 yrs after they do sign,  $125k on scholly equals: food, travel, weights, swag...it’s quite an investment on these players who want to be a “star” from yr one. 

then the players  lose all scholly and end up at some BS school or D2 and never graduate cuz they didn’t get a fair shake as a freshman? Or Soph  at D1?  The whole system is screwing young 18-20 yr olds by letting them out so easy with the Portal.  
The “old” system made sure young men were sure to establish and grow. Is that bad? Make young men earn things? Stay in school, earn your spot, learn the system and flourish within it when you’re ready? 

it’s gonna be a joke for the lives of young men. Those that are losing ground being able to transfer left so easy. Trust.

I’ve been around it my whole life, rarely does a player transfer and do better. Or kinda “quit” and think things will just get better some other place. 

sports was a way 1-3* player could go to school and have some of it paid for, love the whole thing, have a little scholly, great experience until 22yrs old and move on. 
3-5* players have full rides and get their education fully paid, if they lucky go to a bowl, get a watch n some swag, have a phenomenal experience, no debt, college full on. And the best of the best make NFL, which is like a % of a %. 

Now there are 100s players that have ZERO business transferring, moving around, portal et al....all in the name of “I should play now and I’m not happy”.  

there is no more commitment.  I’m already sick of it. 

then, happily, a bunch of our defensive  players decide to come back and use their BS covid year for a real shot to come back and play for our school. Our University. For them.  And for us, the State of Nebraska. 

I’m so down for those young men who decided to play for their school and for Frost.  I think we have some big things ready to happen. 
they didn’t move on, they’re coming back to play for Frost and play for NEBRASKA 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

55 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

I have no problem with the idea transfer portal but it needs to be tweaked.   There needs to be some drawback to a transfer.   3 games?  6 games?   There needs to be something.   

I used to be against the thought of transfers, and that players should "honor their commitments".  However, I have changed my tune and am now on more of the players' sides.  First, there is nothing from keeping the coaches from leaving the school at any time, and the coaches don't get penalties when they go to a different school.  Like it or not, players are drawn to schools mainly because of the coaches.  While staying committed to a school is great, it's not for everyone.  Also, kids can change a lot from their high school days until they finish out their college careers.  If they are able to improve themselves, and are able to get into a better situation and that leads to better long-term opportunities, good for them.  I like the one-time "free" transfer rule which is being proposed.  Yes, it creates challenges to managing a roster, but if the coaches are successful and able to build relationships with the players, then I think coaches can benefit more from the rule than hurt from it.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I used to be against the thought of transfers, and that players should "honor their commitments".  However, I have changed my tune and am now on more of the players' sides.  First, there is nothing from keeping the coaches from leaving the school at any time, and the coaches don't get penalties when they go to a different school.  Like it or not, players are drawn to schools mainly because of the coaches.  While staying committed to a school is great, it's not for everyone.  Also, kids can change a lot from their high school days until they finish out their college careers.  If they are able to improve themselves, and are able to get into a better situation and that leads to better long-term opportunities, good for them.  I like the one-time "free" transfer rule which is being proposed.  Yes, it creates challenges to managing a roster, but if the coaches are successful and able to build relationships with the players, then I think coaches can benefit more from the rule than hurt from it.

I am all for the portal in theory. I run a business and my thought has always been to make the jobs I offer the best ones out there for my employees and retain them, not devise ways to try to trap them.  Sometimes I am unable to compete with opportunities that come along for my employees and I have to wish them well and hope they are moving onto good things that will help them in life. Transfer portal I see as the same concept. That said, I feel it is a lot easier for me to hope that my 30+ year old employees can use good judgement and weight all options before making those decisions than it is for 19-20 year old young athletes. I do feel there should be some built in protection offered to these young adults to keep them from making rash decisions that, in most cases, ultimately may cause more harm than good. But again, it isn't the NCAA or the universities responsibility to "parent," these kids.  It's quite a conundrum. 

• Plus1 3

The theory is great: any college kid can transfer to any other college or university that accepts them, with no penalty, so the same should be for an athlete. A college student should find and be accepted at the university before officially leaving the current one.

The practice is bad: any college athlete can opt transfer out of a college or university, but there may not be a college or university that accepts them and has a football team that wants them. College students are forced to officially announce they're looking elsewhere before they're confident a university will accept them.

I think we'll have a couple rough years for transfers not finding a place to land, and data will show it's not always greener on the other side because there may not be another side.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 2/10/2021 at 12:58 PM, MinnwiscowaSker said:

The theory is great: any college kid can transfer to any other college or university that accepts them, with no penalty, so the same should be for an athlete. A college student should find and be accepted at the university before officially leaving the current one.

The practice is bad: any college athlete can opt transfer out of a college or university, but there may not be a college or university that accepts them and has a football team that wants them. College students are forced to officially announce they're looking elsewhere before they're confident a university will accept them.

I think we'll have a couple rough years for transfers not finding a place to land, and data will show it's not always greener on the other side because there may not be another side.

That's what is so frustrating to me.  The kids leave without something lined up.  But how can that be worked out without really opening a can of worms with other teams "tampering" with rosters?  

On 2/10/2021 at 1:58 PM, MinnwiscowaSker said:

The practice is worse than that:  Impact players are being recruited off rosters & going through the charade of entering the portal.   But, honestly, we live in an era where Coach K is as dirty as any coach in America, so it is what it is.   

For many more, these are the same kids who simply would have quit, been encouraged to transfer by their coaches, or simply not had their scholy's renewed (depending on the school).  The portal is little more than a false sense of control for these kids & I suspect reality comes quick and is hard.   

For the rest, as they say, delayed gratification built the middle class in America, and the need for instant gratification will be it's demise.  

• Plus1 1