Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

13 hours ago, floridacorn said:

The practice is worse than that:  Impact players are being recruited off rosters & going through the charade of entering the portal.   But, honestly, we live in an era where Coach K is as dirty as any coach in America, so it is what it is.   

For many more, these are the same kids who simply would have quit, been encouraged to transfer by their coaches, or simply not had their scholy's renewed (depending on the school).  The portal is little more than a false sense of control for these kids & I suspect reality comes quick and is hard.   

For the rest, as they say, delayed gratification built the middle class in America, and the need for instant gratification will be it's demise.  

I know this is a football board and the vast majority of discussion is about actually playing the game.  But, the sad part of the portal is that there's a heck of a lot of these kids that going to college and playing was their way out of poverty or bad situations at home or in their community.  If they would stick it out, they would have the chance to get a degree and help themselves out long term.  But, what will happen is they think they can transfer and play, meanwhile they lose their spot and their's not another one on the other side. So, they wasted their chance to make a better life.

54 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know this is a football board and the vast majority of discussion is about actually playing the game.  But, the sad part of the portal is that there's a heck of a lot of these kids that going to college and playing was their way out of poverty or bad situations at home or in their community.  If they would stick it out, they would have the chance to get a degree and help themselves out long term.  But, what will happen is they think they can transfer and play, meanwhile they lose their spot and their's not another one on the other side. So, they wasted their chance to make a better life.

Couldn't agree more & that was the point I attempted to make w/that last point.  When I said delayed gratification built the middle class, I wasn't just using it to make a metaphor for the non-star athletes, I was also implying these kids are throwing their real life opportunity away.  

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ehhh, I'm not so sure about that. I mean even if it's not to a P5 school, or even FBS, most of them can probably still get a scholarship somewhere. Going down to a lower level in football isn't necessarily going down to a lower level in education.

And let's be real: there's guys on our team majoring in sociology or some crap that aren't real likely to get a job in their field anyway. There's more than a few guys with an "I ain't come here to play school" on just about any team that isn't Ivy League or something.

The transfer portal doesn't really change the educational side of it much, I don't think.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Toe said:

Ehhh, I'm not so sure about that. I mean even if it's not to a P5 school, or even FBS, most of them can probably still get a scholarship somewhere. Going down to a lower level in football isn't necessarily going down to a lower level in education.

And let's be real: there's guys on our team majoring in sociology or some crap that aren't real likely to get a job in their field anyway. There's more than a few guys with an "I ain't come here to play school" attitude at pretty much all schools.

The transfer portal doesn't really change the educational side of it much, I don't think.

I didn't say all would fall into this.

But, I believe there will be some of these guys who don't end up at a school getting an education.

1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

He's not impressive at all.  Oregon brought in a grad transfer from Boston College who didn't play very much last season, but dazzled in mop up duty.  He chose to come back and Shough saw the writing on the wall.  

With all of that said, he'd probably be on Nebraska's two deep.  However, he's not going to take us to the top of the West.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

He's not impressive at all.  Oregon brought in a grad transfer from Boston College who didn't play very much last season, but dazzled in mop up duty.  He chose to come back and Shough saw the writing on the wall.  

With all of that said, he'd probably be on Nebraska's two deep.  However, he's not going to take us to the top of the West.

Agree, and he is not impressive as a runner at all.  I know we don't want to run the QB as much as we have but our offense has to have someone who can run it well on designed calls a few times a game.  Hard pass 

On 2/12/2021 at 3:52 PM, southernoregonhusker said:

I've seen him projected as a first rounder in a couple mock drafts. Analytics show he's a decent passer, average runner. Looks like his passer rating was 20 points higher than AM's best season, and this was his first season starting. 

Admittedly haven't really watched him play. Watched Oregon play USC and ISU - but really wasn't paying attention to him. Am I missing something here - it looks like on paper he would at least give AM a run for his money...