Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I guess in due time someone will look back and chart the success rate of the players taking the portal route.

No doubt some guys will be leaving teams where they were underused and find success and NFL consideration on other teams.

Gotta think a lot of guys will always be moving sideways -- onto teams in a similar situation to their old team. These teams feel like they have to take some gambles on portal players, but it's not like the player can walk into the starring slot he was denied on his old team. 

You'd have to figure in name players like JD Speilman, who end up disappearing on their new roster. And the guys who do get the starting spot, but it's at a lesser school and goes largely unnoticed. Maybe the largest category are the players who get neither playing time or an education. 

Guess you can't blame them for trying, but 18-19 year old former high school superstars — and their parent advisors — might be getting the wrong life lesson from the Portal.  

I couldn't agree more. This transfer portal has created a "one and done" atmosphere. The "right now" attitude of these players and not willing to wait their turn, could have serious consequences. I believe the great Ed Reed mentioned this in a tweet not too long ago. I really hope these kids make the right decisions. There are so many in the transfer portals these days. I wish McCaffrey and the others the best. I just feel there will be some that fall through the cracks. 

GBR!

8 minutes ago, uberism said:

Yep, he arrives to Louisville as a walk-on. They say they will put him on scholarship in the next school year, but I doubt it. He was so heavily sought after he has to walkon to start at a new school 

sounds like he will be 2nd or 3rd string according to the louisville message boards 

5 minutes ago, uberism said:

Yep, he arrives to Louisville as a walk-on. They say they will put him on scholarship in the next school year, but I doubt it. He was so heavily sought after he has to walkon to start at a new school 

I don't doubt he'll be on scholarship eventually. I imagine scholly/walk-on affects the numbers they can take, and he will probably need to sit out anyway. Probably not as sought after he thought, but I don't think it's a shock or an extra slap in the face to have to walk on for a year. 

2 hours ago, mwj98 said:

I couldn't agree more. This transfer portal has created a "one and done" atmosphere. The "right now" attitude of these players and not willing to wait their turn, could have serious consequences. I believe the great Ed Reed mentioned this in a tweet not too long ago. I really hope these kids make the right decisions. There are so many in the transfer portals these days. I wish McCaffrey and the others the best. I just feel there will be some that fall through the cracks. 

GBR!

there will be a lot of kids losing out on an education.  there are way more kids in transfer portal then spots available on college teams.  many will go down a path their ego's didn't see coming.