Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

I think Coach Frost has figured it out a bit that the BIG is a much different animal than he saw at UCF and Oregon. It's a much more physical conference. He has pivoted quickly and gone after bigger players. 

At the end of the day, like others have pointed out, the scheme wont matter at all if we cant stop beating ourselves. Turnovers, untimely penalties and awful special teams- all the markers for poorly coached teams have to be improved upon in a significant way. 

I'm a fan of Coach Frost, love his passion and attitude. He inherited a hot mess,  but he needs to clean a lot of this up- it's on his shoulders now. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

19 hours ago, Toe said:

Do you have anything to back up your claim that Frost wanted or preferred smaller players over larger ones, as opposed to just taking what he could get in those first couple years? If not, your point is BS.

Put Michigan in that statement and it becomes obvious that it's bulls#!t. They're just as 'B1G' as Ohio State, and loaded with blue chip kids, but haven't exactly been setting the world on fire in the last couple decades. (Their last conference championship was only a few years after ours. Michigan State has had three Big Ten championships since Michigan's last one.)

Yes. because that what he drafted.  Looking at the receiver spot alone, I do not think any are left from his 1st 2 classes.....And if Frost grabbed what he could get, he's an a$$ clown......I am sure he went with what he thought would work.  He was planning to bring the UCF magic to Nebraska.  Hence the whole "who the B1G has to adjust to us.......

I put OSU in the comments as Mav specifically mentioned them and NU running a system similar to them.....Bama is the SEC, Clemson is the ACC.......See how that works.......Those teams are the cream of the crop.  Michigan is part of the pageantry and history of the B1G, but OSU is the flagship.

8 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

I don't understand the "this offense doesn't work in the Big Ten" stuff. It's already proven it has; his first year when he two good receivers and a good back and an experienced line the offense was ranked top 25 nationally and moved the ball on a lot of good defenses (with a true freshman QB). There have needed to be some tweaks as any good coach would make to a new situation, but the offense's lack of success the past couple years has been far more about not having skill position players who would start at many other B1G schools than it has about any sort of scheme or player archetype.

And you need all sorts of backs and receivers who are good at different things to be a successful offense. Bigger receivers were a glaring need so they've been the priority, but we're also still recruiting a lot of small fast-as-hell type of guys.

With Riley's guys.....We have decreased production in each succeeding year......That's not a glowing report of Frost's O works.....And our l osing record sure as hell doesn't.....But hey, yards are better than wins....

28 minutes ago, lo country said:

With Riley's guys.....We have decreased production in each succeeding year......That's not a glowing report of Frost's O works.....And our l osing record sure as hell doesn't.....But hey, yards are better than wins....

No, with Pelini's guys.  Riley left crap to work with on offense, as I've already outlined several times but you seem to ignore.

• Plus1 8
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No, with Pelini's guys.  Riley left crap to work with on offense, as I've already outlined several times but you seem to ignore.

Who played for Riley and were developed by Riley.......Just because you continually post “facts” doesn’t make them true.  So yea, i ignore a lot......I guess we could also point to the “facts” that Frosts recruiting misses have left the O in bad straights as well.  Iirc, no receivers from the 2018 or 2019 class.  Year 4 and the RB is full of fresh/Rsfr.....Yes he’s had misses and transfers, but he’s done a great job of flipping the roster, but the O has lagged behind the D in developing depth and culture IMO.  And this shows in the O’s performance.

I want Frost to succeed. But continually blaming sh!t on Riley is getting old.  And I couldn’t stand Riley.  But sadly, in the win column, he’s looking better in year 3 than Frost.  And that sucks.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, lo country said:

Who played for Riley and were developed by Riley.......Just because you continually post “facts” doesn’t make them true.  So yea, i ignore a lot......I guess we could also point to the “facts” that Frosts recruiting misses have left the O in bad straights as well.  Iirc, no receivers from the 2018 or 2019 class.  Year 4 and the RB is full of fresh/Rsfr.....Yes he’s had misses and transfers, but he’s done a great job of flipping the roster, but the O has lagged behind the D in developing depth and culture IMO.  And this shows in the O’s performance.

I want Frost to succeed. But continually blaming sh!t on Riley is getting old.  And I couldn’t stand Riley.  But sadly, in the win column, he’s looking better in year 3 than Frost.  And that sucks.

I would like to see you point to one of the "facts" that I've posted that isn't true.

Riley had Pelini's recruits to work with.  Frost has had Riley's to work with.  Chicken salad and such.  You can be tired of it all you want.  That doesn't mean it's not true.

I mentioned in earlier posts that Frost bears some blame in the recruiting department also.  But I guess you keep ignoring the parts you don't want to read.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

Most of what Riley had to work with were recruited by Pelini and had some development under Pelini.  Really only Riley's third year would that have been more guys that he recruited and that had "developed" under him for three years.  That year we went 4-8 and had one of the worst defenses we've ever had.

I'm not saying development doesn't play a part of it.  It absolutely does.  But it's also hard to quantify.  

Here's a look at our three leading rushers and receivers over the last six years and who they were recruited by:

2015:

Rushing - Pelini, Pelini, Pelini

Receiveing - Pelini, Pelini, Pelini

2016: 

Rushing - Pelini, Pelini, Riley

Receiving - Pelini, Pelini, Pelini

2017:

Rushing - Riley, Pelini, Riley

Receiving - Pelini, Riley, Pelini

2018:

Rushing - Riley, Frost, Frost

Receiving - Pelini, Riley, Frost

2019:
Rushing - Frost, Frost, Frost

Receiving - Riley, Frost, Frost

2020:

Rushing - Frost, Frost, Frost

Receiving - Frost, Riley Frost

By Riley's third year, he could only contribute three of the six to his own recruiting.  Frost contributed three of his own in the first year and five out of six in the other two.  Pelini was still contributing more receiving in Frost's first year than Riley was.

Yeah, Riley had more wins in his first three years than Frost did.  But to try to pass that off acting like they were starting on equal footing is laughable.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 6

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I would like to see you point to one of the "facts" that I've posted that isn't true.

Riley had Pelini's recruits to work with.  Frost has had Riley's to work with.  Chicken salad and such.  You can be tired of it all you want.  That doesn't mean it's not true.

I mentioned in earlier posts that Frost bears some blame in the recruiting department also.  But I guess you keep ignoring the parts you don't want to read.

I agree on Frost and recruiting.  But not all of it was his fault.  Some head cases and misses that other coaches do as well.  

As to Riley and his sh!tty culture/recruits, why did he have a better record than Frost with subpar athletes?  Was Riley. Better coach?  Kids suited to his system?  I hear ya.  I wanted Frost to be the one to return NU to the land of champions,  But for me, he over promised and has under delivered.  Blast Riley all you want (and I did for 3 years), But his record is better.  We are blaming a 4th Years coaches issues on a guy with a .500 record.....And that’s just getting old.  

As to pointing out “facts”, it’s something we all do.  Like right now.  Riley’s record is better.  Does that mean I liked him or want him back?  Hell no.  Didn’t want him then.  But it’s a “fact” true argue a point,  I’m sure my opinion and “facts” has done little if anything to sway or change an opinion.  It’s a message board.  

At at the end of the day, regardless of opinion, we all want Frost to succeed.  NU to get back to national. Prominence and hopefully win another NC before we die.

7 hours ago, lo country said:

As to Riley and his sh!tty culture/recruits, why did he have a better record than Frost with subpar athletes?  Was Riley. Better coach?  Kids suited to his system? 

I literally spent the last part explaining this.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3

Another thing to think about here is that, when a recruit arrives on campus he's probably not going to contribute for a couple or three years regardless of how talented he is.  It's rare that a true frosh gets significant playing time. (With some notable exceptions.  Like Wan'dale.) 

The lag in contributing means that whoever did the recruiting 2 to 3 years before largely determines the talent level on the field.  Riley pulled in some good recruits.  But most of his best recruits left when he did.  The cupboard was pretty bare for Frost's first couple of years.   But that excuse has pretty much expired now that we're headed into Frost year 4.  

• Plus1 3
29 minutes ago, NUance said:

Another thing to think about here is that, when a recruit arrives on campus he's probably not going to contribute for a couple or three years regardless of how talented he is.  It's rare that a true frosh gets significant playing time. (With some notable exceptions.  Like Wan'dale.) 

The lag in contributing means that whoever did the recruiting 2 to 3 years before largely determines the talent level on the field.  Riley pulled in some good recruits.  But most of his best recruits left when he did.  The cupboard was pretty bare for Frost's first couple of years.   But that excuse has pretty much expired now that we're headed into Frost year 4.  

True. 

However Im not sure you can put most of the blame on Frosts shoulders here. Im guessing Frosts approach to practice and out of season work may have had a part to play in those leaving. 

For the most part most of the kids that transferred out- havent done much where they landed. 

Rileys recruiting was all smoke and mirrors. What alpha male stud 18 year old football player really wants to play for Mr Rodgers with his sprinkles, goofy bike helmet and Prius? 

Mike-Riley-Happy-Balloon.png