Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

2 hours ago, NUance said:

Another thing to think about here is that, when a recruit arrives on campus he's probably not going to contribute for a couple or three years regardless of how talented he is.  It's rare that a true frosh gets significant playing time. (With some notable exceptions.  Like Wan'dale.) 

The lag in contributing means that whoever did the recruiting 2 to 3 years before largely determines the talent level on the field.  Riley pulled in some good recruits.  But most of his best recruits left when he did.  The cupboard was pretty bare for Frost's first couple of years.   But that excuse has pretty much expired now that we're headed into Frost year 4.  

Right. People are mad at Frost for "missing" on recruits who were redshirt freshman and sophomores last year who didn't have a spring. It's essentially being mad that a bare cupboard didn't get immediately replenished, which is nothing but impatience and a lack of understanding of how good college football programs work. Iowa and Wisconsin are good because when they have a contributor graduate or go pro, they've got another three-star redshirt junior at his position they've been cooking for four years ready to step in and play. That wasn't happening under Riley in the first place, and then everyone from one class transferred when Frost got the job. It's not really going to be an excuse going forward, but a lot of our problems are affected by not having any depth and that's not really on the new coach.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

I literally spent the last part explaining this.

So......The best year that Frost had were because of Bo's kids?  The kids that played (or RS) the first year and then played 3 with Riley....So Bo was such a phenomenal coach that being in his presence for 1 year allowed them to weather the sh!tty coaching of Riley and Co.  And then allowed them to excel under Frost.  They were Pelini recruits for sure.  But to think that Riley didn't have any influence over them for 3 years is naive at best.  And is "factual" in that it fits your narrative.  Riley was the worst coach since Bill Jennnings.  Until Frost came along.....That would also be a fact, but doesn't fit your narrative so it's easily overlooked.  I get it.  Nobody wanted Frost to fail.  Or thought it would be this bad, but here we are year 4 with more questions than answers.  A lot of potential.  But it seems like that was the case every year.....

Again, this is and has beens Frost show from day 1.  You develop the kids you have.  You coach with what you have not with what you want.  If we give props to Bo's recruits for Frost's best year then how much of the miracle UCF season rests with the recruiting of O'Leary?  That magical season coaching acumen has yet to show up.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Sums it up.  I'd add past 6, but you are correct.  

Not to tear down pelinis reign too much as he did post 9 wins, BUT, gotta admit, some of those seasons we were pretty damn lucky in close games.  His 9 wins look great surface level and way better than today, but hot damn a lot of those couldve very easily gone the other way... coupled with the fact he always shat the bed on the big stage, might be more like 8-9 years we've collectively sucked a$$.  

Really cant honestly say I've been super proud of a team we've fielded since the back to back years of Suh's ending and first year of Taylor... if only that offense coulda played with Suh's defense... i love living in the past baabbyyyyyyyy

Just now, gossamorharpy said:

Not to tear down pelinis reign too much as he did post 9 wins, BUT, gotta admit, some of those seasons we were pretty damn lucky in close games.  His 9 wins look great surface level and way better than today, but hot damn a lot of those couldve very easily gone the other way... coupled with the fact he always shat the bed on the big stage, might be more like 8-9 years we've collectively sucked a$$.  

Really cant honestly say I've been super proud of a team we've fielded since the back to back years of Suh's ending and first year of Taylor... if only that offense coulda played with Suh's defense... i love living in the past baabbyyyyyyyy

If Joe Ganz had that one more year of eligibility or TM was a year earlier we have another NC.  no doubt.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

If Joe Ganz had that one more year of eligibility or TM was a year earlier we have another NC.  no doubt.  

Who are we picking in a coaching match up here.  

Coach 1: The love child spawned from one night gone wrong between all of the coaches over the past 20 years who has the recruiting chops of Billy C, the drinking proclivity  of franky s, the defensive chops and upside/downside of bo's temper in motivating his team but a being a loose cannon the sidelines along with bo's staff's proclivity of indulging in the devil's dandruff with booster wive's, sprinkled on top with frostys allure and hometown ties, all of this stirred together with rileys mr rodgers routine which is endearing to the fans.

or 

Coach 2- tom osborne

6 hours ago, lo country said:

So......The best year that Frost had were because of Bo's kids?  The kids that played (or RS) the first year and then played 3 with Riley....So Bo was such a phenomenal coach that being in his presence for 1 year allowed them to weather the sh!tty coaching of Riley and Co.  And then allowed them to excel under Frost.  They were Pelini recruits for sure.  But to think that Riley didn't have any influence over them for 3 years is naive at best.  And is "factual" in that it fits your narrative.  Riley was the worst coach since Bill Jennnings.  Until Frost came along.....That would also be a fact, but doesn't fit your narrative so it's easily overlooked.  I get it.  Nobody wanted Frost to fail.  Or thought it would be this bad, but here we are year 4 with more questions than answers.  A lot of potential.  But it seems like that was the case every year.....

Again, this is and has beens Frost show from day 1.  You develop the kids you have.  You coach with what you have not with what you want.  If we give props to Bo's recruits for Frost's best year then how much of the miracle UCF season rests with the recruiting of O'Leary?  That magical season coaching acumen has yet to show up.

You have quite the unique view of things 

• Plus1 2

With the Portal and transfer rules the way they are now, college football and the programs therein will not look the same in less than 5-7 yrs. 

It’s already been seen the last 3-4 yrs that there are 4-5 top tier programs that get solid 4&5 star recruits every year who aren’t hurt by transfers and portals. They get the top portal and transfer players IN and aren’t hurt by their 2nd and 3rd team players going OUT. Case in point T’o T’o going to Alabama after losing their top LB to the draft. 

Those top teams make the Playoff every year and keep everyone else out. 

stack on top of that, Image and Likeness payments and it only exacerbates the growing problem. 

it absolutely is a scratch and claw system for every other team to keep players, build from within, have a magical season come together, keep good coaches from leaving, and have a patient fan base.

Also: pay bigly for infrastructure upgrades, fan interest and excitement, build depth, have the administration on board, and show progress. 

I think the last paragraph suits us very well despite the challenges the portal and transfer rules bring every other team besides tOSU, Tide, Clemson, and OU.  We will be in that top tier where this “hard to recruit but easy to get out” won’t affect us to much in the very near future. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

On 5/11/2021 at 3:50 PM, gossamorharpy said:

Agree with you, but he did win those close games. Not sure how you factor luck in, but at least he made the best decisions to at least benefit from luck in the last quarter or even the final two minutes. 

I remember a number of games that a Frost mismanaged the final two minutes so badly that we couldn’t even get the benefit of luck. Just horrible coaching in the final two minutes. 

6 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Agree with you, but he did win those close games. Not sure how you factor luck in, but at least he made the best decisions to at least benefit from luck in the last quarter or even the final two minutes. 

I remember a number of games that a Frost mismanaged the final two minutes so badly that we couldn’t even get the benefit of luck. Just horrible coaching in the final two minutes. 

With Bo, he won the games he was supposed to win, but lost and lost big in the most high profile games he played. IMO, that was going to change if we had kept him on for a few more years. In his last year, we almost lost to a .500 Mcneese State. I mean its better than what we've been since he left, but we were trending down the last few Pelini years.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

With Bo, he won the games he was supposed to win, but lost and lost big in the most high profile games he played. IMO, that was going to change if we had kept him on for a few more years. In his last year, we almost lost to a .500 Mcneese State. I mean its better than what we've been since he left, but we were trending down the last few Pelini years.

What way are we trending now?