Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

10 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Who knows, I was more commenting on where Bo left the program. Better than Riley, but not in the best place. Hold me down and I'd say we're probably trending up and I'm cautiously optimistic that we're going to have a good jump in wins this year.

I am also optimistic that we are going to trend up (hard to trend lower than we have been). Bo was under duress the final 2-3 years as once Osborne left and Eichorst/Perlman got more involved, Bo's ownership of the program was constantly challenged. The staff mentioned it a handful of times in interviews the final couple years how recruiting was a challenge because of their contract situations and the AD's unwillingness to commit to the coaching staff. Despite this, he continued to win the nine games a year and was starting to gain a better foothold with the body types/style of play needed to compete in the Big Ten (examples: d-line recruits being bigger body, bigger RBs). Would have been interesting to see those 2015-2016 teams with junior & senior classes staying together under Bo & company.

13 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Who knows, I was more commenting on where Bo left the program. Better than Riley, but not in the best place. Hold me down and I'd say we're probably trending up and I'm cautiously optimistic that we're going to have a good jump in wins this year.

Fingers crossed here too 

I think Riley was an ok in-game coach.  It’s the other areas of the game that passed him by, like strength and conditioning and recruiting. 

Bo was a good coach in a lot of aspects. We had a bunch of talent come through, but some might have residual from Callahan, who really could recruit his arse off. No one agrees with me so I’m wrong, but I think Callahan is very underrated. 

I have a few theories in the struggle of Frost, but none of them make total sense given his lineage, success as an assistant and as a head coach. 

6 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Bo was a good coach in a lot of aspects. We had a bunch of talent come through, but some might have residual from Callahan, who really could recruit his arse off. No one agrees with me so I’m wrong, but I think Callahan is very underrated. 

I will agree with you. I think Callahan was the guy he just needed to ditch Cosgrove. I still get upset thinking about what could have been matching that O with a decent D.

Meh, even with a decent DC, I'd say Callahan's ceiling was lower than Bo's. He was always gonna be an awkward fit at best, no matter who his assistants were. There's a reason why he's stayed away from college coaching, and hasn't exactly been a hot name in head coach searches (other than a brief interim HC stint with the Redskins).

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Toe said:

Meh, even with a decent DC, I'd say Callahan's ceiling was lower than Bo's. He was always gonna be an awkward fit at best, no matter who his assistants were. There's a reason why he's stayed away from college coaching, and hasn't exactly been a hot name in head coach searches (other than a brief interim HC stint with the Redskins).

If Billy C had any success here he would have jumped ship for the NFL again shortly after. We would have been in a similar situation as firing him.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Be good to get some depth and experience if he comes.  Help to push the other guys in the 2 deep that might not feel "threatened" from the other guys.  Just my opinion, no reason to not think they are all working.  Stats look pretty good while there.  A few injuries, but that happens.

4 hours ago, ZRod said:

If Billy C had any success here he would have jumped ship for the NFL again shortly after. We would have been in a similar situation as firing him.

I never thought Billy C’s offenses were all that special, I think a lot of people just remember when it was obvious he was going to be fired and he went full PlayStation mode at the end of the 2007 season.  But, with any success at NU, he was going to high tail it back to the NFL as soon as he could. That guy didn’t like Lincoln.

• Plus1 3

On 5/15/2021 at 1:52 PM, ZRod said:

Except we’d have another championship. Even if he left.