Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

5 hours ago, Decked said:

Would you rather play at an FCS school or sit behind guys for a few years at an FBS school? I understand it. These dudes want to play. Some of them are severely misguided however. They think they are better than they really are. 

The portal includes non-schloroship.  Not sure if it includes walk-ons.  I'm guessing it does.  The numbers of portal entrries looks huge, but the bulk  might be guys that come and go regularly and it might enhance their visability and give them more options.  Kind of like a dating site.  

And it would be naive to think that schools aren't using it too.  It's a gentle way to nudge guys along that may not fit the roster.  

On 5/30/2021 at 8:42 AM, funhusker said:

“Portal watcher”????

Sounds like a job that includes calling high school coaches and extended family members to see who to go after.

Clemson is just one of dozens doing this.  It stinks...

IMO, he’s an older coach who was probably thinking about transitioning to an off field role anyway, and that combined with Spiller wanting to get into coaching, they made the move.

5 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Would have loved to see Adam Kucera suit up! Dude could sling water bottles with the best of em :laughpound

That would be as good as the Zamboni driver who had to suit up in goal as an emergency goalie in an NHL game a couple years ago.  Or Kendall Hinton starting a Broncos game last year as a practice squad WR when the whole QB room got Covid.

Besides being generally disillusioned with the transfer portal and what it’s doing to the sport, my larger concern is how thorough Frost and company are being on vetting these recruits. We seem to be getting more talent to sign but we’re also losing more talent due to unrealistic expectations of players and what seems to be a lack of commitment and work ethic. Maybe it’s just the way things are today and the portal exacerbates the problem but dang, figure some of these guys out before they’re on campus wasting our time and resources.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Besides being generally disillusioned with the transfer portal and what it’s doing to the sport, my larger concern is how thorough Frost and company are being on vetting these recruits. We seem to be getting more talent to sign but we’re also losing more talent due to unrealistic expectations of players and what seems to be a lack of commitment and work ethic. Maybe it’s just the way things are today and the portal exacerbates the problem but dang, figure some of these guys out before they’re on campus wasting our time and resources.

The transfer portal sensation (along with COVID) has hit during Frost's tenure, so IMO it's hard to criticize Frost heavily for how he recruited early in his tenure.  He was trying to bring in as much talent as he could, without much on-field success to point to.

Let's look at the 2 highest profile recruits who transferred.  McCaffrey was given a shot to compete for the QB job, which Frost was one of a few coaches who offered that opportunity during recruiting.  It's possible that Luke was upset that Frost moved back to Adrian so quickly during the 2020 season, but Frost was making the decision try to win games.  With Wandale, his dad and trainer were meddlesome during recruiting and Wandale's time at NU.  Frost seemed ready to move on from Wandale after his initial commitment to UK, but Held and Walters kept recruiting him and eventually flipped Wandale.  Bringing in Wandale was worth the risk, but his dad and trainer kept trying to pull him back to Kentucky.

Regarding go-forward recruiting, it seems like Frost and staff have changed philosophies to focus on kids closer to Lincoln.  IMO, this is being done to ensure kids are familiar with the area and aren't scared off right away when coming into college.  However, the transfer portal is going to be an issue for all of college football.  Kids want to play soon after coming to college, and parents are spending more $ on them as kids to get them recruited to college.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The transfer portal sensation (along with COVID) has hit during Frost's tenure, so IMO it's hard to criticize Frost heavily for how he recruited early in his tenure.  He was trying to bring in as much talent as he could, without much on-field success to point to.

Let's look at the 2 highest profile recruits who transferred.  McCaffrey was given a shot to compete for the QB job, which Frost was one of a few coaches who offered that opportunity during recruiting.  It's possible that Luke was upset that Frost moved back to Adrian so quickly during the 2020 season, but Frost was making the decision try to win games.  With Wandale, his dad and trainer were meddlesome during recruiting and Wandale's time at NU.  Frost seemed ready to move on from Wandale after his initial commitment to UK, but Held and Walters kept recruiting him and eventually flipped Wandale.  Bringing in Wandale was worth the risk, but his dad and trainer kept trying to pull him back to Kentucky.

Regarding go-forward recruiting, it seems like Frost and staff have changed philosophies to focus on kids closer to Lincoln.  IMO, this is being done to ensure kids are familiar with the area and aren't scared off right away when coming into college.  However, the transfer portal is going to be an issue for all of college football.  Kids want to play soon after coming to college, and parents are spending more $ on them as kids to get them recruited to college.

I wasn’t necessarily criticizing Frost as I do think it is mostly a result of a lot of factors he really had/has no control over. Bare cupboards upon arrival, Covid, newfangled transfer portal. Plus I think some of these prima donna attitudes are more prevalent with better players. I was just hopeful that his experience as a player and coach and being here when players had the right attitude would give him the tools to mitigate the issues. In fact he may be dealing with it as well as anyone and its just the way things are anymore.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

3 hours ago, Toe said:

In McCaffrey's case, I think it's fair to question whether the coaches evaluated him well. I don't like second guessing that, though. He was a guy that 247 had rated 4* with a pretty decent offer list - if Frost mis-evaluated him, he's not the only one.

The thing is, judging from his actions, I think it's safe to say that Luke is a guy who thinks he's better than he really is. Considering that, I suspect that his real problem might not be talent, but rather coachability. Maybe it's not that Verduzco couldn't coach him up, maybe it's more that Luke is so hard-headed that no one could get through to him.

I don't know if I question the vetting; I think it's just an unfortunate confluence of events. We signed a bunch of teenagers who moved from Florida to Nebraska two months before a once-in-a-generation pandemic no one could have forseen hit. Wandale clearly has people in his ear, Luke wants to play QB and the other guys were all disciplinary or processed guys.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1