Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Also, word on McCaffrey is Rice.

Branson Yager not expected back.

And punter Ryan Harwell from Louisville was in for a workout.  Was a JUCO All-American before he was at Louisville.

We also continue to bring in kickers for workouts.

Pursuing a punter is a sign they're not comfortable with who's in the building, which is ... not great.

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Or they'd like to have more than one guy.  So we don't get in the same spot we were with kickers a couple years ago.

Yeah, I guess always the more competition the better. But we already have two dedicated punters on the roster in Cerni and Przystup. Unless they expect one to transfer or are just trying to flood the position with bodies and see who hits I think this is more likely a sign that they're not particularly confident in either of those two.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I think it's more precise to say that keeping Crouch allowed the cracks to be covered up for longer.  Crouch was able to cover up a lot of shortcomings for quite awhile.  Solich didn't have to have a competent offensive scheme because Crouch could just take over.  So we didn't see the foundation braking up as soon as we should have.  But when it finally gave way, it collapsed quickly.

Which I guess maybe isn't too far from what you were saying.  But I don't think chasing Crouch was the issue.  It was everything else that covered up.

Oh, that's part of it, certainly. But my point is more that Solich never quite established himself as The Guy In Charge after Osborne left, and wasn't firmly in control. The Crouch vs Newcombe situation was handled poorly from a leadership standpoint, culminating in Solich driving up to Omaha and sucking up to Crouch. Supposedly, Osborne's other assistants still sorta looked at him as the RB coach, and didn't treat him with the same respect as they did Osborne, and started to slack off on things like recruiting.

As mild-mannered as Osborne was, he didn't tolerate any BS from anyone on the team or his staff, and fundamentally I think that's one of the biggest areas where Solich was lacking.