Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

16 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I don't think anyone can speak for "most" fans.

And yes, I was absolutely hoping we'd be much better by now.....but I just want Frost to stick with what he's doing with the OL and S&C.

As I typed, you were one poster I was definitely not referring to in "most"......I just didn't really think we'd even be having these conversations in year 4.  Young OL.  No proven WR threat, no RB (Wan'dale/Mills possibly not coming back)...

2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Hey, I'm not hear to say Wandale is Jerry Rice.  He's a good piece who has performed great with no OL and no QB or much of a running game, nor any other WR thread.  But the attitude that says we don't need him is truly clownish.  What I don't get is that same voice/attitude seems to believe that Jergens is a "Remmington" ... and that's a load of crap!  Jergens is a far bigger problem or issue than Wandale will ever be ... and he touches the ball every play on offense.  He will have more bad snaps next year than most centers have an entire career ... and he will have three years of experience.

Wandale has been good not great.  Probably not his fault either as you point out.  

Losing him would suck because you want to keep as much talent as possible.  

Replacing his production will not be as hard as you think.   Having a quality throwing QB will more than make up for it.   If AM makes a huge leap forward then that alone will make up for Wandale lost production.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Decked said:

Wan’Dale was absolutely critical at making first down catches on 3rd down. A mistake eraser. Glue hands. RB fill in when Mills & freshman were down too. This guy plays about 4-5 positions. Probably the only WR besides Falck I would trust to catch a tight 3rd down ball. He’s not a crazy vertical threat due to his lack of top end speed. That’s why we so badly need one so we can use Wan’Dale around the LOS. 

How often did Wandale make a third down catch vs the TE position making a third down catch this year?  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, uberism said:

Wandale is shiffty guy in space, but you don't see him taking it to the house for a reason - we lack a vertical threat to spread the defense out and give him space to break big plays

^ Fixed.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

How often did Wandale make a third down catch vs the TE position making a third down catch this year?  

I am not sure why that question is so specific to a certain situation, but among the RB, WR, and TE positions Wandale was by far the leading player with yards from scrimmage.  I am sure those yards led to a lot of first downs for the offense.  But, if you want to focus on Wandale vs. the NU tight ends, Wandale had 51 receptions for 461 yards. This is more receptions and yards than the top 3 tight ends combined. 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not sure why that question is so specific to a certain situation, but among the RB, WR, and TE positions Wandale was by far the leading player with yards from scrimmage.  I am sure those yards led to a lot of first downs for the offense. 

7 players had more yards per catch than Wandale did from the LOS for the 2020 season....TE's, RB's, and WR's. Three players had more yards per rush than Wandale. 

Wandale wasn't bad, he is a good player, but at the same time people are making him out to be a super star when he isn't. 

I"m willing to put money on the table that Nixon will have a better career than Wandale has had so far.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, uberism said:

7 players had more yards per catch than Wandale did from the LOS for the 2020 season....TE's, RB's, and WR's. Three players had more yards per rush than Wandale. 

Wandale wasn't bad, he is a good player, but at the same time people are making him out to be a super star when he isn't. 

I"m willing to put money on the table that Nixon will have a better career than Wandale has had so far.  

You focus on yards per catch and that is a fine stat, but don’t you think Frost and the offensive coaches focused so much to get Wandale a lot of touches because he is such a dynamic player, especially compared to other players on the offense? Plus, I am sure Wandale being on the field brought a lot of attention from the defense towards him left other players open. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, lo country said:

As I typed, you were one poster I was definitely not referring to in "most"......I just didn't really think we'd even be having these conversations in year 4.  Young OL.  No proven WR threat, no RB (Wan'dale/Mills possibly not coming back)...

I would bet Frost had little to no idea of the OL depth when he was hired   I believe Foster and Farmer were Pelini guys, the Frost gets to shoulder the responsibility for Riley OL recruits until guys he's brought in are ready 

Once some semblance of the pipeline gets developed again, it'll be better.  Guys like Benhart, Piper and Corcoran could still be developing with older, talented guys ahead of them.  But that isn't the reality.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not sure why that question is so specific to a certain situation, but among the RB, WR, and TE positions Wandale was by far the leading player with yards from scrimmage.  I am sure those yards led to a lot of first downs for the offense.  But, if you want to focus on Wandale vs. the NU tight ends, Wandale had 51 receptions for 461 yards. This is more receptions and yards than the top 3 tight ends combined. 

To add to your point,   the slot and z position WR often run route combinations with the TE.  They usually do not have a leading YPG figure because of this.  They average higher number of catches per game though.    The X WR is the guy that runs deeper routes and most of the time will lead your team in YPG.    

• Plus1 4
18 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

The X WR is the guy that runs deeper routes and most of the time will lead your team in YPG.    

And that's the spot where we've been sorely lacking the last two years.

Martinez can't throw deep? He didn't seem to have any trouble throwing to Stanley Morgan! Some here think Verduzco cast some voodoo hex on Martinez. But there's a much simpler explanation: nobody has really stepped up and filled Morgan's shoes since he's been gone. Of course, the hope this year was that Manning would step into the X role, but nobody really knows what's going on with him.

Find a legit deep threat that defenses have to respect, and all that shorter stuff to guys like Wandale open up for bigger gains, as do the running game and those swing passes that some here love to rage on so much.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Not sure this really proves very much but:

Player - Targets - Total Catches - 1st Downs

Robinson - 64 - 51 - 18

Allen - 27 - 18 - 10

Falk - 20 - 13 - 6

Vokolek - 17 - 9 - 6

Betts - 14 - 12 - 5

Martin - 10 - 5 - 3

• Plus1 4