Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

2 hours ago, Toe said:

Three months ago I was wondering why on earth anyone thought McCaffrey had a chance of unseating Martinez when he was obviously running a limited set of plays and not doing much passing. (I pretty much ignored the QB competition thread because I get tired of reading some of the s#!t takes around here, lol.) A year ago I was wondering why on earth people were blaming everything on Chin when his side of the ball had improved while the offense had tanked.  :dunno

I’m still wondering why Chins DBs are so far back on 3rd down and why the blitz package usually sucks. I also wonder why they don’t wrap up and tackle. 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, KCBuc said:

I’m still wondering why Chins DBs are so far back on 3rd down and why the blitz package usually sucks. I also wonder why they don’t wrap up and tackle. 

We’ll be able to point out a moment or two each game, but I believe the tackling by the secondary improved over the final 2-3 games. They still shoulder pop more than I prefer, but I started noticing more contact, wrap, and drive. It was inspiring.  

Just now, KCBuc said:

And yet we had one of the best 3rd down defense in the country over the back half of the year - admittedly after having one of the worst to start the year. Defense needs to improve for sure, but they've been good enough.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Unfortunately with bringing back both safeties and adding a RB and a WR as transfers, that will almost assuredly mean a couple younger guys at those positions will decide to leave.  I think a couple of the young WRs were probably on the way out anyway.  But I would guess a couple other guys will get impatient.  Either now or after spring.

Hoping with Gray and Francois leaving early the Safeties stick it out - we really don't have a ton there, so hopefully NPG/Farmer can earn some time. The rest are pretty young anyway, so I don't think returning seniors will affect them much. WR I'm just hoping it's the guys way down the depth chart and not guys who are still expected to develop and push for snaps.

RB seems inevitable for sure though, even if they haven't proven anything it was already pretty crowded with underclassmen - Thompkins, Morrison, Scott, Johnson, and now Ervin. We've got snaps for probably 3, realistically 2 significant roles (barring injuries). That's already some tough math, and then you add Stepp and somethings gotta give. 

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Unfortunately with bringing back both safeties and adding a RB and a WR as transfers, that will almost assuredly mean a couple younger guys at those positions will decide to leave.  I think a couple of the young WRs were probably on the way out anyway.  But I would guess a couple other guys will get impatient.  Either now or after spring.

This team lacked depth with upperclassman, while I do see your point, I also believe that could be a net gain *if* the depth is there to find a more talented and younger prospect. Yes, the amount of turnover in this program

is worrisome, but I still believe it’s a numbers game.  

If managed properly, I believe this could be a good bridge gap for NU. The elite teams can only improve so much, their players want to leave and make that IRS money. The weaker programs can use this to build depth and maturity. 

5 minutes ago, Goal-line said:

Something is seriously wrong at NU with all these kids transferring out.  

Based on which kids? People can debate Wan'Dale's rationale, but none of the others are surprises. B1G West champ Northwestern has 8 guys in the portal this year - in the past they would just suddenly not be on the roster, but now there are announcements and speculation. And for NW, it's not even guys buried on the depth chart - the RBs had been passed, but were still #2 and #3 for carries and yards among their RBs. McGowan was their #2 receiver. Leota led the team in sacks. Ruiz played in every game with a couple of starts. It's not just here.

Wan'Dale (and JD) are the only recent ones I would consider concerning, and I understand Wan'Dale's reasons. You can argue the Florida guys too, but we lost most of them when Covid hit and Gray had to go back home.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

22 hours ago, nupowr said:

Can coaches enter the transfer portal too?  That would be cool.

What if you could go to work and tell your boss you were entering the transfer portal.

Or maybe go home and tell your wife, hey honey, I am going to enter the transfer portal!

I mean when you set yourself up with a recruiter, isn't that basically what you're doing ? :lol: