Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

21 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I feel the portal has changed high school recruiting. Why invest time, roster spots, training resources to a kid that you’re not sure will invest and trust in you?  I think we will  see a trend of teams recruiting regionally. At least that takes the homesick excuse out of it. 

At least with a Juco, you know they completed something and are moving on logically. You also have an idea on how they’re going to physically mature. They’ve also been around the block a bit and have transitioned away from momma’s cooking and household services a bit. The mental maturity aspect of player development is huge. 

And maybe this Covid year was special with the large numbers and guys getting to play an extra year. Not sure how that will skewed it. But just because you’re in the portal doesn’t mean that someone wants you. And what if no one wants you? Do you just put your tail between your legs and say sorry? Or do you just quit? 

This would really suck for NU.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Comparing a kid changing schools to breaking marital vows is a bit of a stretch don't you think? 

These kids make the best decision they can based on some phone conversations, maybe a visit or two, and what they can read on the internet.  Sometimes it just isn't a fit and I personally think it's good to give them a little slack when they have the guts to make a tough life decision in an effort to better themselves.  The data is out there and they know that it doesn't work out for most.  If they still choose to give it a shot, must mean they are pretty certain they don't want to be where they are.    

Or.....the system could help them learn some valuable lessons like; evaluate your choices wisely, commitment, tenacity, over coming some adversity, the team concept as opposed to the individual. So many valuable life lessons they could learn and apply but no, if they don't like something, anything, about their situation then just quit and go elsewhere.

The transfer portal- screwing up players and CFB since inception.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Or.....the system could help them learn some valuable lessons like; evaluate your choices wisely, commitment, tenacity, over coming some adversity, the team concept as opposed to the individual. So many valuable life lessons they could learn and apply but no, if they don't like something, anything, about their situation then just quit and go elsewhere.

The transfer portal- screwing up players and CFB since inception.

So far the portal seems like a cluster f#&% and net negative for CFB.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, ZRod said:

So far the portal seems like a cluster f#&% and net negative for CFB.

Agree. Maybe what this situation needs is some balance. If players can come and go willy nilly, maybe schools should award schollies the same way. Pull it anytime they aren't producing. Not sure why we should expect schools to honor commitments if players don't have to.

• Plus1 2

Neither do I. 
I’m really starting to see this as a player/portal problem. 

kids either stay or they don’t. It’s like “whatever” at this point. What can you do if a freaking team captain who drops 4 td passes leaves? What can you do if a kid who was a star recruit who, by all eye test measures, will never be a good/great D1 QB but could be a real versatile college star just leaves?  

im just setting my mind as: ride or die with the kids who are here and want to be here. Not even gonna discuss guys who leave anymore. 

• Plus1 4
11 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

What I have heard...Luke wants to be a QB. He was never going to pass Adrian and Smothers was going to pass him. Frost asked him to consider WR.

If he is unwilling to change positions, this is actually a good sign for the program. Smothers is developing. 

Could be, but it also could be that he's just better than a guy who threw 1 TD and 6 INTs in limited action.  Not a high bar.