Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I think some people gave @Red Rogue more crap than deserved.  But that thread took on the connotation of Frost losing the team and players leaving because of that.   It sucks to lose a player like Wandale.  It sucks to lose depth at QB.  It sucks to lose good locker room guys.

But none of the departures seem to suggest that a significant portion of the roster is ready to abandon ship because they no longer have faith in the staff.  

Meh, he was being over dramatic. The only departure since the end of the season that sucks so far has been Wandale. McCaffrey has himelf brainwashed thinking he is a QB. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Kade was a captain of the team and a veteran in the WR room.  Him leaving isn't something to just pretend is ok.  The other two were backups and were most likely not going to play this next year.

Kade was targeted two time TOTAL after the Penn State game.  Iowa was the only game after Penn State where he played more than 10 snaps.  He was a veteran but other than that he belongs in the group with your last sentence. 

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Kade was targeted two time TOTAL after the Penn State game.  Iowa was the only game after Penn State where he played more than 10 snaps.  He was a veteran but other than that he belongs in the group with your last sentence. 

I believe Kade's biggest role was to provide vocal leadership in a very green room.  I'm hoping the right receiver picks up that slack but the entire room is a little more seasoned so hopefully that isn't as needed now.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Attrition such as this is expected to a degree now with the transfer portal (of which I am not a fan).  Turning college athletes into free agents is not good for their longer term prospects as students, and hopefully professionals in something other than sports.

In terms of the team, while many argue that these "name" departures are the result of individual decisions (and isolated), it just does not support the impression of a program on the rise.  Very difficult to build a foundation when the turnstyle of student athletes (to and from) is revolving so quickly.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

In terms of the team, while many argue that these "name" departures are the result of individual decisions (and isolated), it just does not support the impression of a program on the rise.  Very difficult to build a foundation when the turnstyle of student athletes (to and from) is revolving so quickly.

And what makes you think that Nebraska should be the one school in America that is immune to backups entering the portal looking for a better situation for themselves? Call me when starters are leaving and I will concede concern. Wandale was a tough one but he always kept one foot in Kentucky and so that is what it is. Everybody else is sticking around to continue to progress and new talent has entered the program at starter levels in multiple areas. We are fine and we are just like almost every other program in the US.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I believe I conceded that attrition is a national phenomenon and not limited to this team.  The transfer portal has given us this reality.  

My sense is that we have reached a point where the results are just not matching the vision sold.  Obviously, we as fans have a much higher level of impatience than those on the inside doing the block and tackle work.  That said, 3 years is a reasonable time to take stock of progress, and when progress is lacking, it becomes just another factor in a player's decision to move on.

• Plus1 1

"Nebraska's offense is the worst I've ever seen." - Kurt Warner in (semi) private conversations.  And tweeting that he'd love for his sons to play for Matt Cambell in my opinion was throwing shade at our staff.  I know Kade is his own man but we really don't need that kind of s#!t around this program right now, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Farms said:

"Nebraska's offense is the worst I've ever seen." - Kurt Warner in (semi) private conversations.  And tweeting that he'd love for his sons to play for Matt Cambell in my opinion was throwing shade at our staff.  I know Kade is his own man but we really don't need that kind of s#!t around this program right now, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

I mean, was he really wrong?

This offense has been mostly garbage. I get maybe the players arent as talented in some spots, but Frost has basically refused to course correct and try different things to make it work.

Kurt Warner probably shouldnt be trashing his sons (former) team... 

I hope Frost figures it out, but the offense has gotten worse under him. It is unimaginative and easy to stop.

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I believe I conceded that attrition is a national phenomenon and not limited to this team.  The transfer portal has given us this reality.  

My sense is that we have reached a point where the results are just not matching the vision sold.  Obviously, we as fans have a much higher level of impatience than those on the inside doing the block and tackle work.  That said, 3 years is a reasonable time to take stock of progress, and when progress is lacking, it becomes just another factor in a player's decision to move on.

If it were even close to a normal 3 years, I would tend to agree.  However, the situation coming in, and the last 12 months, have made this a far from normal 3 years.  I believe Riley got a normal 3 years.  Scott has not imo.    

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

If it were even close to a normal 3 years, I would tend to agree.  However, the situation coming in, and the last 12 months, have made this a far from normal 3 years.  I believe Riley got a normal 3 years.  Scott has not imo.    

Normal or not, he hasnt improved the team. 

I am tired of the excuses for Frost. Every team had to deal with what the Huskers did. 

The lack of offense or growth or ability to call plays that work instead of the same plays over and over again.

I dont think we can afford to fire Frost this year or probably even next year, but he has to approach this thing differently. 

He reminds me of Bo, only hiring yes men instead of bringing in guys who can actually coach and handing off some responsibilities. 

I hope he turns it around but we have seen enough out of the last 3 years to have major questions on Frost and his coaching ability. 

• Plus1 3

Make no mistake, we are not in a position to make any decisions on a transition right now.  However, the trend line needs to be watched.  Great to hear that we have continuity of staff this offseason, but lack of personnel continuity can also be very disruptive.  To those that argue that these transfers do not matter, perhaps not when you are only winning 4 games a year.  

On a separate topic, does anyone else feel that Husker Football has an overabundance of paid press / analysts given its' current state?  When a program is on top it might make sense to have all of these full time reporters covering a program, but at 4 wins do we really need "24/7" coverage?  I would imagine too that it must be difficult for these reporters to get motivated every day, especially in the offseason.  Reporting on transfers, winter conditioning, etc. that support a 4 win mantle.

Perhaps these outlets should have them also cover 4-H or the crime beat to get better value for their investment.

Also, take away the names and tell me you're worried about this walking out the door:

4* athlete/qb who did average 5.6 YPC, 3 TDs and 2 fumbles lost on 65 carries. Went 48/76 for 466 yards, 1 TD and 6 INTs as a passer. 

Walk-on receiver, voted a captain. 30 catches for 236 yards over 3 years. No TDs.

3* OL who appeared in 4 games (no starts) over 3 years

None of them were going to start, and they all have some talent. Like others have said, take away the names and it's not surprising or a big deal. Warner being a captain does make it bigger than his production/talent would imply, but it was a weird year and he does all the right things. Not intended to be a knock on him, but if the coaches selected captains I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been one - they tend to balance leadership and expected role on the team, where I think the players voted just based on the former (and lack of established playmakers on offense). 

1 minute ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Normal or not, he hasnt improved the team. 

I am tired of the excuses for Frost. Every team had to deal with what the Huskers did. 

Nebraska SP+ rankings

2012 - 23rd

2013 - 54th

2014 - 31st

2015 - 48th

2016 - 46th

2017 - 103rd

2018 - 56th

2019 - 55th

2020 - 32nd

Hate on the measures all you want - saying he hasn't improved the team is at best arguable, and in my opinion wrong. With the above and other stats supporting. Yeah, yeah - wins are all that matters, I know. But W/L would tell you 2009 (SP+ ranking: 7th) and 2016 were roughly equivalent teams. They were not.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
26 minutes ago, Farms said:

"Nebraska's offense is the worst I've ever seen." - Kurt Warner in (semi) private conversations.  And tweeting that he'd love for his sons to play for Matt Cambell in my opinion was throwing shade at our staff.  I know Kade is his own man but we really don't need that kind of s#!t around this program right now, don't let the door hit ya on the way o

When I mentioned this, I was ridiculed.  Only if people wanted to see reality rather than being confrontational.  Kurt was throwing shade. His son was lucky to be on a P5 team....last name doesnt automatically make you a stud.

• Plus1 2