Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

4 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm glad Mike found another opportunity to be a condescending turd. The guy routinely mocks fans for having takes on the players that he is paid to also have takes on. 

I dont think he is being a condescending turd. He talks to a lot of these kids and maybe he realizes there is a lot more going on and at the end of the day they are just kids.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

EsrtWUjWMAAbpQD?format=jpg&name=small

Posted this from my phone so I didn't elaborate at the time.

Biggest takeaways:

- Frost C -1 class is the same group as Riley's C 3 class.  Riley's C 2 class lost 47.6%.  Frost's C -1 class lost 55.5%.  Frost's C 1 class (two weeks to put it together) lost 50.0%.  So we were basically missing 1.5 full recruiting classes starting in Frost's second year.

- Frost's C 2 and C 3 classes are *significantly* lower than the other coaches.  As in, less than half.  And none of the others had COVID to contend with.  Now, there will be more departures before those classes are done.  But there is a lot of regency bias in all the sky-is-falling opinions right now.  

- In all cases, I'm sure the coaching change played a significant role.  But losing 40% of your class isn't a way to make things get better.  So changing coaches every 3-4 years is unlikely to be a good solution.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Biggest takeaways:

- Frost C -1 class is the same group as Riley's C 3 class.  Riley's C 2 class lost 47.6%.  Frost's C -1 class lost 55.5%.  Frost's C 1 class (two weeks to put it together) lost 50.0%.  So we were basically missing 1.5 full recruiting classes starting in Frost's second year.

- Frost's C 2 and C 3 classes are *significantly* lower than the other coaches.  As in, less than half.  And none of the others had COVID to contend with.  Now, there will be more departures before those classes are done.  But there is a lot of regency bias in all the sky-is-falling opinions right now.  

- In all cases, I'm sure the coaching change played a significant role.  But losing 40% of your class isn't a way to make things get better.  So changing coaches every 3-4 years is unlikely to be a good solution.

Isn't all of Frost's data unfinished? Not to say it won't stay good for his most recent classes, but it also might not? 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm glad Mike found another opportunity to be a condescending turd. The guy routinely mocks fans for having takes on the players that he is paid to also have takes on. 

Best thing I did when it comes to Nebraska sports is to block that guy on all platforms. He singlehandedly made me unsubscribe from 247 and stop listening to their podcast. At some point you have to be self aware enough to not insult and troll your customers. 

Then again, he would probably say the loss of my subscription fee does nothing to his paycheck...

With the way the transfer portal works, if I was a head coach I would embras the portal and find ways to use it to your benefit. For example, hire a person full-time where there only responsibility is to study ever new entrant of portal and manage it daily, not just add it to someone elses responsibility. Leave about 3 scholarships open to grab the good talent that goes into the portal and expect at least 5 of your own players to enter it every year. 

10 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I dont think he is being a condescending turd. He talks to a lot of these kids and maybe he realizes there is a lot more going on and at the end of the day they are just kids.

I don't doubt he knows more about the situations than the rest of us, he should, it's his job. It just seems like Mike never misses an opportunity to be condescending, or flex his 'holier than thou' attitude. He seems to be incredibly unaware that the fan fervor he consistently mocks/talks down to, is the same fan fervor that keeps him employed. I like Mike, but similar to Damon, he has me rolling my eyes often.

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Biggest takeaways:

I feel that attrition for Frost is actually starting to slow down, not speed up. We have some scholarship guys go in order to get the recruited numbers back down to 85. I'll have to check if we are still over, which we might be, so we may need another one to go yet. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't doubt he knows more about the situations than the rest of us, he should, it's his job. It just seems like Mike never misses an opportunity to be condescending, or flex his 'holier than thou' attitude. 

I guess I havent paid that close attention to him but that could also be a situation where since this is his "thing" he likes to try and prove he knows what he is talking about. I sometimes find myself getting on my high horse about things like staffing.

Again, my thought is he feels the need to defend guys he is close with or trying to get close with.

14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The biggest thing against Will Farniok was when Jurgens was not able to play due to injury, the coaches went to Matt Farniok to start at center, instead of going to Will. That guy was going to ride the pine for his entire time at NU. 

When they move guys from other positions so that you don't see the field ... that's when you know you've really messed up.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

This was posted yesterday.

EsrtWUjWMAAbpQD?format=jpg&name=medium

Why is there two labeled C1?

Also, none of the other coaches dealt with the portal which has greatly increased the transfers at pretty much every school.

I'm actually not that concerned about the number of transfers Frost has had.  I would also like to see the average star rating of the recruits that are leaving.  We went through a period where the vast majority of transfers were at the top of the class.  I believe that has somewhat flipped.  I know everyone is going to look at Wandale.  But, he seems to be the outlier in Frost's time here since he was a top recruit AND a major contributor.