Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

28 minutes ago, uberism said:

So far the only transfer from last season's roster to land at a P5 school is the WR going to Maryland and that is only due to his older brother playing at Maryland. Otherwise it's doubtful he would have landed at a P5 school too. 

I think we are now finding out why the Florida group were around to land late in that recruiting cycle. Not that they were not overrated, but they didn't have good profiles when you take into account everything - on the field and off of the field. Gotta recruit smarter and I think Frost did that with the 2021 recruiting class - more local, bigger, fits a scheme more reliant on down the field attack on offense, and defense filling in linebackers and size on the DL. 

Wandale to Kentucky?

8 hours ago, uberism said:

So far the only transfer from last season's roster to land at a P5 school is the WR going to Maryland and that is only due to his older brother playing at Maryland. Otherwise it's doubtful he would have landed at a P5 school too. 

I think we are now finding out why the Florida group were around to land late in that recruiting cycle. Not that they were not overrated, but they didn't have good profiles when you take into account everything - on the field and off of the field. Gotta recruit smarter and I think Frost did that with the 2021 recruiting class - more local, bigger, fits a scheme more reliant on down the field attack on offense, and defense filling in linebackers and size on the DL. 

I think we’re also finding out that the reaction a month back was pretty overblown. Still sucks we lost wandale but even the reaction to LMc leaving was ridiculous. Time to stack some W’s with those that want to build something great. For those that want to leave, thank them for their time but out of sight out of mind the second they leave the progrum.

• Plus1 3

Question for opinions:

does a great athlete like Luke leaving a program that isn’t great right now, but wants to be great, somehow actually demerit a good player? (To find a new home?) 

in other words, are schools looking to add just good/great athletes going to pick them up as soon as they portal, or are they actually paused on taking them cuz maybe it’s the player not the program? 
obviously, if Justin Fields leaves Georgia he has options. But if 2 Mcaffrey kids aren’t in a ‘better’ spot, does it say something about taking kids who are at Blue Bloods just kinda jumping ship? 

like, why would USC, Notre Dame, or even West Virginia take a Mcaffrey because of their ‘unproven talent?’ Or any other player who was highly recruited but just left the damn team. 

i hate the portal, I think it’s bad overall for the kids and their education and future as collegiate’s.  But what is the missing piece these kids aren’t seeing? 

opine away 

Did LMc get picked it by anyone. Does this mean he’s not enrolled for school anywhere?  Does he have to attend school I. The spring to be eligible in the fall? 

Haven’t checked the board in a week or so and not sure if anyone picked him up. I would think the intention is N. Colorado and maybe just hasn’t been announced yet? 

5 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Did LMc get picked it by anyone. Does this mean he’s not enrolled for school anywhere?  Does he have to attend school I. The spring to be eligible in the fall? 

Haven’t checked the board in a week or so and not sure if anyone picked him up. I would think the intention is N. Colorado and maybe just hasn’t been announced yet? 

He’s still enrolled at UNL, taking online classes. This will allow him to keep his options open until after other programs finish Spring football and assess their roster needs. 

7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He’s still enrolled at UNL, taking online classes. This will allow him to keep his options open until after other programs finish Spring football and assess their roster needs. 

There is going to be so many kids that dont have a landing spot or a full ride when this is all said and done. 

I guess in due time someone will look back and chart the success rate of the players taking the portal route.

No doubt some guys will be leaving teams where they were underused and find success and NFL consideration on other teams.

Gotta think a lot of guys will always be moving sideways -- onto teams in a similar situation to their old team. These teams feel like they have to take some gambles on portal players, but it's not like the player can walk into the starring slot he was denied on his old team. 

You'd have to figure in name players like JD Speilman, who end up disappearing on their new roster. And the guys who do get the starting spot, but it's at a lesser school and goes largely unnoticed. Maybe the largest category are the players who get neither playing time or an education. 

Guess you can't blame them for trying, but 18-19 year old former high school superstars — and their parent advisors — might be getting the wrong life lesson from the Portal.  

• Fire 3