Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

I am saddened by the direction of the collegiate game.  Before too long there will be collective bargaining agreements (with unionized student athletes in conferences), luxury taxes for the blue blood programs, and player contracts.  I just hope the players negotiate for platinum health insurance,  paid sick leave, and pension benefits.  I look forward to the ESPN insider special on that; a real entertainment gem!

While folks will still enjoy the game of football, there is no doubt that a significant disconnect will emerge between the student athletes and the student body, alumni and fans that support them.  Several of the star players will be making more at 18 and 19 than fans and alumni paying the ticket prices!   

• Plus1 6

On 5/19/2021 at 5:32 PM, Old Nebraska Guy said:

IIRC

Walk-ons earning scholarships in their first two years at the school must "fit" in the 25 new signers that are  allowed per year.  After two years they can get a 'ship at any time.

Apparently walk-ons have to be here an entire year before they can go on scholarship.  Otherwise they count against the 25-per-cycle cap.

41 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They're the product. The sport generates billions of dollars. They should be paid accordingly. 

I somewhat disagree.  The team is the product.  The state, the school, the emotional and cultural connection is the primary product.  The individuals who make up the team are critical, no doubt, but they're not the product.

If the players were the product, I'd bet most people would have simply given up on the Huskers in the last decade or so.

I do feel that it's necessary to allow an avenue for players to get to the NFL without going to college.  A minor league system would garner little or no attention IMO compared to college football for the reasons I mentioned above but it would take away the "monopoly" from the NCAA. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, 307husker said:

I somewhat disagree.  The team is the product.  The state, the school, the emotional and cultural connection is the primary product.  The individuals who make up the team are critical, no doubt, but they're not the product.

If the players were the product, I'd bet most people would have simply given up on the Huskers in the last decade or so.

I do feel that it's necessary to allow an avenue for players to get to the NFL without going to college.  A minor league system would garner little or no attention IMO compared to college football for the reasons I mentioned above but it would take away the "monopoly" from the NCAA. 

Absolutely true. The reason it does not exist is because there is not a market for the players.. If there was, it would exist in this capitalist country. It is the reason every XFL league fails as well. Nobody wants to pay to see the not best in the world play, unless they are repping an area/team/alumni. I don't rarely care much about watching any one player player ever, but my family makes fun of me for watching all things Husker. I love NU and will watch anything, even polo, if they are wearing the scarlet and cream. 

• Plus1 1

The players are a massive part of the product. The obvious example is jersey sales - people didn't start buying #2 just because it's a fun number, or because they really loved Ross Pilkington. But even bigger picture, without players none of the branding/school/whatever matters, the money is gone. The specific players can be relatively easily replaced, but you need somebody playing and if you replace them with scrubs the money would disappear as well. 

The relative ease with which specific players could be replaced is a very strong argument to not overpay them, not an argument to shut them out. The money depends on players and it's an absurd amount of money, so they absolutely deserve to be able to profit as well. They're not even sharing in the profit, just being allowed to make their own money based on their involvement in making money for the schools and NCAA. This isn't paying players, it's continuing to make money off of them but allowing them to use the spotlight they've been given to make their own on the side. 

• Plus1 1

On 5/26/2021 at 1:09 PM, LumberJackSker said:

Have Alabama and Clemson poached that many players from the portal so far? They recruit classes full of 4 and 5 stars its not like they're going to have room or the holes in their roster where they're taking that many players from the portal. 

Clemson hasn’t gotten anyone big, yet...although they’re looking to change that.

After losing to LSU with Burrow & OSU with Fields & Sermon, they moved the former TE coach to a portal watcher, so to speak. They moved the RBs coach to TEs, and brought in CJ Spiller to coach the RBs.

10 hours ago, killer cacti said:

Clemson hasn’t gotten anyone big, yet...although they’re looking to change that.

After losing to LSU with Burrow & OSU with Fields & Sermon, they moved the former TE coach to a portal watcher, so to speak. They moved the RBs coach to TEs, and brought in CJ Spiller to coach the RBs.

“Portal watcher”????

Sounds like a job that includes calling high school coaches and extended family members to see who to go after.

Clemson is just one of dozens doing this.  It stinks...

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1