Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

I struggle getting too upset with an 18-20 year old for being wishy washy on school…esp if they don’t have parents/strong adult figures to steady them.   My father was a college basketball coach and over his 20+ year career I cant tell you how many times he had kids come in and were quite flakey (and almost certainly would have transferred in todays climate) who by the end of their college career had matured immensely and went on to have wildly successful professional(not pro basketball) careers.  An 18 y/o may be an adult but they are very rarely mature.  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Interesting that he would make this statement.  Not all situations are the same.  We seem to be okay with Oliver Martin’s two transfers.  

I wouldn't fault anyone transferring or quitting Iowa after last offseason. With that said, he likely has a different story since he was a "walk away" player and not a low depth chart transfer. I would put him more in the Jaelan Phillips camp than a McCaffrey situation.

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Without derailing the thread too much, it depends on the industry.  For some jobs, a shaky work history is definitely a red flag, for others (like tech for instance) it's pretty acceptable to jump around quite a bit.

This ain't the 1980s, Boomers. You don't make more money by waiting around and hoping maybe the company will throw you a few extra scraps one day, you make more money by finding a company that'll pay you what you're worth. The ones who don't get left behind and taken advantage of.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Many people with professional or transferable skills can readily move to another employer with a good work history. Taking the best employees of your competitors, pay them more, treat them better and then most boats will rise. I did this with my company- forced the competition to pay better, charge more etc it is the great invisible hand of capitalism at work that drives wages in high demand/highly skilled- low supply labor categories higher.  Most people get that and if you are any good at what you do- people will come after you. 

Low turnover means in business means youre hiring right, paying right, treating right. Certainly some similarities in CFB- with pay being minutes. HOWEVER unlike great employers who employ lots of worker bees and the work is available- college football only has so many minutes available. So teams like Bama may not have super low turnover because minutes just arent available to everyone. 

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Agreed.  Kind of reminds me of Eric Crouch.  He would have been an amazing receiver in the NFL wt his speed but he was hard headed about being a NFL QB.  That didn't work out so well. 

In hindsight, I consider chasing after Crouch to be the first sign that Solich was losing control of the team. Won that battle but lost the war.

Pretty sure we don't have to worry about Frost chasing McCaffrey. But I do wish I could've been a fly on the wall when our coaches heard Luke was transferring again! :thumbs

3 hours ago, Toe said:

In hindsight, I consider chasing after Crouch to be the first sign that Solich was losing control of the team. Won that battle but lost the war.

Eh, I think it's more precise to say that keeping Crouch allowed the cracks to be covered up for longer.  Crouch was able to cover up a lot of shortcomings for quite awhile.  Solich didn't have to have a competent offensive scheme because Crouch could just take over.  So we didn't see the foundation braking up as soon as we should have.  But when it finally gave way, it collapsed quickly.

Which I guess maybe isn't too far from what you were saying.  But I don't think chasing Crouch was the issue.  It was everything else that covered up.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I think it's more precise to say that keeping Crouch allowed the cracks to be covered up for longer.  Crouch was able to cover up a lot of shortcomings for quite awhile.  Solich didn't have to have a competent offensive scheme because Crouch could just take over.  So we didn't see the foundation braking up as soon as we should have.  But when it finally gave way, it collapsed quickly.

Which I guess maybe isn't too far from what you were saying.  But I don't think chasing Crouch was the issue.  It was everything else that covered up.

you could see the cracks forming v TCU 

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

My thoughts exactly.  Crouch left, Crouch right, Crouch up the middle covered up for lack of depth that was developing at RB and elsewhere.  The next year, we go 7-7. 

But it all seems vaguely similar to  our current situation -  QB carries are way too high in relationship to the RB totals - and AM can't be compared to Crouch either as a runner.  So, this is the year our RBs need to step up and become a dominant part of the offense. 

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

My thoughts exactly.  Crouch left, Crouch right, Crouch up the middle covered up for lack of depth that was developing at RB and elsewhere.  The next year, we go 7-7. 

But it all seems vaguely similar to  our current situation -  QB carries are way too high in relationship to the RB totals - and AM can't be compared to Crouch either as a runner.  So, this is the year our RBs need to step up and become a dominant part of the offense. 

Yes, and I think they will.  Improved depth at RB and WR along with a more talented O line.....even though it's all unproven yet.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, and I think they will.  Improved depth at RB and WR along with a more talented O line.....even though it's all unproven yet.

I agree - I like the attitude being displayed by the OL  - seems like they are getting back to that old nasty, pancake everyone attitude.  If so, that will help our RBs to excel.