Staff Changes

HANC

I agree with the other posters that Verduzco should likely be shown the door. QB room has regressed if anything. We're in pretty dire need of better special teams. 

I am unsure what exactly Lubick does as the OC if Frost is really calling plays. I think I'd rather see Frost go into more of a CEO-type role and let someone else handle playcalling.

Defensive coaches should all be safe. Defense has improved consistently.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

This seems pretty easy.

Step 1: Can Verdurzco, Frost takes over coaching QBs. 

Step 2: Lubick takes over playcalling. 

Step 3: Hire a S/T coach.

Step 4: ??

Step 5: Profit

This was going to be my take.  The QBs have not improved.    Scott needs to get a OC who can call the plays if Lubick can't.  Frost can coach QBs besides being overall CEO during the game.    Replace Coach V with a bonafide special teams coach - we sucked in that area all year.

Austin should be on the hot seat - the OL looked great against OSU for much of the game and then went south. 

We need to settle on an identity -  the UCF Fast isn't working.   Up tempo power run game with diverse pass game.  In the games where we were intentional in running the ball and stuck to for more than 2 plays we did better. 

14 minutes ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

I see Frost needs to be the CEO and not call plays, but others say he should also coach the QBs. He needs to spend more time running the team, not one room.

Do we need two linebacker coaches? Or, could Chins take a group? Or have one of them coach all the backers? That would open up a S/T coaching opportunity.

I wondered about the 2 line backer coaches.   -  seems the interior LB are playing much better.   

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Fair critiques of Verduzco, but the answer is I really don't know. The numbers were absolutely better his freshman year, but so was the talent around him. I'm not even sure I buy it, but there's an argument he is better and the circumstances around him have contributed to the poor numbers. And for McCaffrey/other QBs, it's hard to say. McCaffrey probably has improved, but hasn't seen the field much and clearly has a ways to go (as we knew he did when we recruited him). They're high on Smothers, but this was not the year to chuck a true freshman out there.

I'm not sure why saying Mills would discredit me, he wasn't exactly a one hit wonder - he had good games last year too. Not consistent though for sure, but I think a lot of that is injuries and OL. So the answers are no, but with Mills hurt he was pretty much starting over with freshmen who also kept getting hurt. Held is to blame for the lack of depth sure, and that's not trivial. But losing both RBs from their initial class early was unforeseen, so my biggest beef with Held is not getting another experienced guy along with Mills so we had more depth. But I really believe if Morrison, Scott, or Thompkins were healthy through camp and the year we would feel fine about our RBs. Morrison is like Washington if you took a relatively small chunk of his talent away, but in doing so removed his issues as well.

With the year this was, I'm willing to give out Incomplete grades and that's what I'd give Held. Concerning, but with a lot of potential reasons that are a bit out of his control. 

I just view it like this. Verduzco is ultimately responsible for that room. To me, that means fielding a quality starter who knows the playbook, can make all the throws you need, is a field general/leader and can execute all the plays needed. Make all the reads and progressions needed. Then having a solid backup who is essentially operating at 90% of the starter. Then so on down the line. 

I understand our football team is such a mess its hard to even point blame at any one spot. But our starter has been here 3 years and its hard to say he is executing everything I listed above. Our second string does not even appear to be an actual QB. So that falls on Verduzco not only for him not being a serviceable backup but also for recruiting him and making him his guy for that class. Smothers- no one really knows anything yet. Haarberg for this class is for all intensive purposes another project QB. So 4 QB's recruited. 3 appear to be project QB's. Martinez was the only real highly rated guy we didn't view as needing a year or 2 of refinement. 

I get frustrated when we play other teams. Their starter does his job. He gets hurt or is already hurt so we are playing the backup. That guy seems to be able to execute the offense without changing scheme at all. Or they get down to the third team guy and he is operating the offense like the 1st and 2nd team QB. So how the hell can other teams have 3 guys they can roll out on the field and execute their offense. When we struggle to even have 1 guy to show up every week. Then if he gets hurt we are basically throwing a wildcat QB out there.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I get frustrated when we play other teams. Their starter does his job. He gets hurt or is already hurt so we are playing the backup. That guy seems to be able to execute the offense without changing scheme at all. Or they get down to the third team guy and he is operating the offense like the 1st and 2nd team QB. So how the hell can other teams have 3 guys they can roll out on the field and execute their offense. When we struggle to even have 1 guy to show up every week. Then if he gets hurt we are basically throwing a wildcat QB out there.

It's felt this way a long time too. Before Adrian (and a year of Tanner Lee) we had Tommy for four years. Before that was Taylor for three years. They've been hurt at different times and we have had no solid backup. Guys like Ryker Fyfe, Ron Kellogg, Andrew Bunch have had to start games. All walkons.

I have no confidence in any depth at skill positions heading into next year. I don't even have confidence in a starting lineup for WR, RB and QB.

• Plus1 1

Verdu and Austin. See ya. Lubick needs

to do better with WR. Playing so many walk-on receivers and watching the scholarship young guys leave is a bad look, but hes only been around one year so he gets a few more. 

Defense made minimal improvements, but they did improve so that staff can stay. If they dont make a big leap forward next year, changes need to be made. 

• Plus1 2

Get somebody that can excel at special teams and at whatever position group a coach has to be fired to make room for him. Verdu seems likely but I wonder if he has the talent he needs in the QB room. Between not being able to throw the ball, apparently not having any receivers and suspect play calling, it’s kind of tough to pinpoint the exact problem(s) but our offense has to get much better or next year at this time we won’t be talking about just a few position coaches.

35 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Verdu and Austin. See ya. Lubick needs

to do better with WR. Playing so many walk-on receivers and watching the scholarship young guys leave is a bad look, but hes only been around one year so he gets a few more. 

Defense made minimal improvements, but they did improve so that staff can stay. If they dont make a big leap forward next year, changes need to be made. 

If that’s how you really feel you might as well just scrap the whole staff lol. The defense is a pass rushing OLB away from being pretty decent. Verdu can go. Austin needs to be pressured. Lubick needs to call plays & Frost needs to worry about the team as a whole and focus on cutting down penalties/turnovers. 

6 hours ago, Decked said:

Special teams changes: fair catch every kick. Don’t kick to the best kick returner in the country unless you can boot it out of the end zone. Luckily Dan Cerni comes back next year along with likely Connor Culp. I am your new special teams coach. 

Go get em tiger.