Staff Changes

HANC

22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't know what happened behind closed doors, but Urban's public opinions didn't seem like he would want anything to do with the NU Athletic Dept.

Outside of Husker nation, then-Utah coach Urban Meyer had a strong opinion.

"Can you believe they fired him with nine wins?" Meyer said. "I tell you what: College athletics are screwed up right now."

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/blogs/history-of-nebraska-football-coach-hirings-and-firings-ignite-cases-of-d-j-vu/article_4e8f958c-c376-11e7-83f8-37204c1d634e.html

This was before Bo Pelini lol but yes that is different now 

On 12/21/2020 at 11:52 AM, Xmas32 said:

This seems pretty easy.

Step 1: Can Verdurzco, Frost takes over coaching QBs. 

Step 2: Lubick takes over playcalling. 

Step 3: Hire a S/T coach.

Step 4: ??

Step 5: Profit

Can someone explain the logic behind not wanting Frost calling plays? He's regarded as one of the best playcallers in the country and that's a big part of the reason we hired him. We want him to not do what he's best at as a coach so that he can what ... give the kickoff team a pump-up speech before it runs on the field? 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Can someone explain the logic behind not wanting Frost calling plays? He's regarded as one of the best playcallers in the country and that's a big part of the reason we hired him. We want him to not do what he's best at as a coach so that he can what ... give the kickoff team a pump-up speech before it runs on the field? 

A large part of the criticism is based off Frost "getting cute" near the goal line, resulting in some truly unremarkable attempts to score from inside the 10 yard line.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I think Payne and Nelson both flashed a little bit, and I'm hopeful we see a bigger jump next year. But I would never turn down a potential impact OLB, especially not this year. Randy Gregory isn't walking through the door, but I would gladly take some Pierre Allen/Barry Turner/senior year Eric Martin impacts. And I think Nelson/Payne/Tannor are capable of that, but we'll see if it happens.

No idea how we replace Jojo - Javin Wright better be the real deal. Otherwise I image we just see more of a true nickel, and play a guy like Farmer out there against spread teams/on passing downs and 2 true OLBs the rest of the time. A lot more substitutions.

Maybe we find/develop another Demorrio Williams.  I think Ruud might have a little incite into what he played like:D

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Maybe we find/develop another Demorrio Williams.  I think Ruud might have a little incite into what he played like:D

Second year Juco who only had 1 sack his first year then exploded for 21 TFLs and 11 sacks the next.. Payne checks the boxes so far! The other wildcard is Henrich, although I'm figuring he sticks back at ILB. 

21 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

It's incredibly, incredibly difficult to be both an effective HC and a playcaller at the P5 level.  Honestly, the only one that comes to mind that balances both pretty well is Ryan Day at Ohio State and even then, you can argue that he's able to do it because Ohio State is so freaking good and Day has a ton of studs as assistant coaches.  Heck, even Urban Meyer handed off playcalling duties because he felt too much stuff was falling through the cracks.  If Urbs says it's too tough to pull off then I feel safe going out on a limb that it's probably too tough for Frost to juggle both.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

IMO it's often a knee-jerk reaction to seeing an inconsistent product on the field. I haven't been crazy about some play calling because of the players' inability to execute, but I don't necessarily think Frost's play calling is a major concern or detriment to the team. I think the bigger issues are elsewhere.

• Plus1 3
24 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I'll add to @knapplccomments. I use the Minnie game as an example.  111th against the run, a qb who missed practice with a shouleder injury and we decide to air it out almost 30 times....Mills averaging 4.2/carry and gets 12 touches.....Missing a play (forgot the game) and mentioned in the presser he was looking at his play charts.....I like Hickman getting more snaps, but the goal line, telegraph shuffle pass to a kid who thus far seems a little adverse to hard physical contact is the text book definition of cute.....For the first time in 3 years a RB gets 25 touches in a game....Mills against Rutgers.  

Here's a decent article that talks about the NU offense and what it looked like against Rutgers.  Again it was against Rutgers, but then again we are where we are.  So I take any win as a victory and none as a gimme....

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/mckewon-huskers-ran-the-ball-against-rutgers-like-never-before-under-frost-can-they-stick/article_92053212-4330-11eb-92b2-b74f2bbf5502.amp.html

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

IMO it's often a knee-jerk reaction to seeing an inconsistent product on the field. I haven't been crazy about some play calling because of the players' inability to execute, but I don't necessarily think Frost's play calling is a major concern or detriment to the team. I think the bigger issues are elsewhere.

I agree with this and i think many feel that if HCSF were to relinquish play calling, he could focus more on correcting these bigger issues.  Especially in game.  I’ve seen it mentioned that he should take a more CEO approach.  

8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Second year Juco who only had 1 sack his first year then exploded for 21 TFLs and 11 sacks the next.. Payne checks the boxes so far! The other wildcard is Henrich, although I'm figuring he sticks back at ILB. 

He truly became Super D.  I was really hoping JoJo would have been used in similar fashion.  Different scheme I guess.

Would agree Payne has the "look" for sure.  I do feel better about the D. It has showed improvement at all 3 levels IMHO.  As mentioned before, hope for some Juco help or portal magic.  I'd also like it if the seniors stayed for one more year....

39 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Seeing Cooper on special teams, he looks like a much better athlete than Payne & Nelson with more size than Tannor & JoJo, but it's probably not a positive sign he didn't receive any defensive reps this season.  I know if I was in Dawson's shoes trying to develop an impact pass rusher, I'd be giving this kid every opportunity to translate what I see on KO coverage to pass rush.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

A large part of the criticism is based off Frost "getting cute" near the goal line, resulting in some truly unremarkable attempts to score from inside the 10 yard line.

That's fair. And I wouldn't be against Lubick having a bigger role as a situational play caller i.e Bienemy in K.C. (if Lubick already doesn't have that role, which I think he probably does?). But I also think it's very dumb to not want Frost calling plays so that he can cosplay some "classic CEO coach" or whatever.  You can be a very successful play-calling head coach if have the right people and infrastructure around you. The solution here should be making the people and infrastructure around him better, not stripping him of the thing he does best in a largely symbolic move.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, J-MAGIC said:

That's fair. And I wouldn't be against Lubick having a bigger role as a situational play caller i.e Bienemy in K.C. (if Lubick already doesn't have that role, which I think he probably does?). But I also think it's very dumb to not want Frost calling plays so that he can cosplay some "classic CEO coach" or whatever.  You can be a very successful play-calling head coach if have the right people and infrastructure around you. The solution here should be making the people and infrastructure around him better, not stripping him of the thing he does best in a largely symbolic move.

I personally think the entire "Frost calling plays" issue is over blown by some fans.  Yes, he calls plays in the sense that he's the final decision maker on the sidelines that tells the back up QBs what to signal in.  But, I will gauran-grand-damn-tee you that he has people like Lubick and Austin (run game coordinator) in his ear all the time suggesting certain things.  He trusts them, so I have to believe he listens to a lot of what they have to say.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

It's incredibly, incredibly difficult to be both an effective HC and a playcaller at the P5 level.  Honestly, the only one that comes to mind that balances both pretty well is Ryan Day at Ohio State and even then, you can argue that he's able to do it because Ohio State is so freaking good and Day has a ton of studs as assistant coaches.  Heck, even Urban Meyer handed off playcalling duties because he felt too much stuff was falling through the cracks.  If Urbs says it's too tough to pull off then I feel safe going out on a limb that it's probably too tough for Frost to juggle both.

Tons of good head coaches also call offensive plays. Off the top of my head: Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, Mike Leach, Jimbo Fisher, Lane Kiffin, Jamey Chadwell, Chip Kelly (and Tom Osborne!) from college and Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, Frank Reich, Doug Pederson (maybe not this year but he did win a SB!), and Kliff Kingsbury in the NFL.

I would rather our coach do what he's good at and the reason we hired him (the offense!) instead of mean mugging on the sideline watching the kickoff team or whatever to appease certain fans.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
48 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

Seeing Cooper on special teams, he looks like a much better athlete than Payne & Nelson with more size than Tannor & JoJo, but it's probably not a positive sign he didn't receive any defensive reps this season.  I know if I was in Dawson's shoes trying to develop an impact pass rusher, I'd be giving this kid every opportunity to translate what I see on KO coverage to pass rush.

Forgot about Cooper, he did light up a kid on a kick return which was fun to see. Seems like he needed a bit more weight, so hopefully he can get a little more strength and push for time as well. I'm pretty optimistic about what Dawson can do with actual Spring and Fall camps. 

• Plus1 1