Staff Changes

HANC

35 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Forgot about Cooper, he did light up a kid on a kick return which was fun to see. Seems like he needed a bit more weight, so hopefully he can get a little more strength and push for time as well. I'm pretty optimistic about what Dawson can do with actual Spring and Fall camps. 

Cooper has the same build as Gregory. I really believe given the opportunity he could make a really strong impact as a Pass rushing OLB. Gregory was playing as a 4-3 DE at 6’5 230. Cooper is 6’5 225. While the same abilities may not be there, the same stature definitely is.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Horrible take. We are still  #8 in all time wins after the last 20 years of sucking. Over 900 wins. Purdue has roughly 600. Iowa slightly over 600. Northwestern in 500s. You can’t erase 30 years of history and say without this then they are this. Because even then they are still not close in wins. We are still over 600 wins if you take away our best 30 years. I have never heard lightning in a bottle used to describe 30-40 years of excellence, 1 year maybe. 2017 UCF, 2019 LSU 

How much have those 900 wins and 30 years of excellence helped since 2001?

The fact of the matter is at this time we would be lucky to be Iowa or NW. This nonsense that a portion of our fan base spews about "not being a training ground for coaches" or "needing experienced P5 coordinators" isn't going to happen. 

I forget the exact stat, but essentially Nebraska is the state with the lowest population to have produced a Division 1 National Champion in either football or men's basketball. And those 5 NCs came in a 26 year stretch.

That is an outlier, an anomaly.  Outside of that stretch Nebraska hasn't been any different than Iowa or a number programs that our fans like to say are mediocre. And we've been looking up at the Iowas and NWs since we entered the B1G.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

In your opinion, why has practice not led to correction of the weekly recurring issues with bad snaps, holding and false starts?

The aforementioned players do a lot of good things and are relatively young, but wouldn’t a good coach have fixed these issues by game 8?

Imo, this staff said that they don't correct errors in practice. They want to go fast in practice and make the corrections in the meeting room.

I think the staff needs to rethink their handling of errors committed by their players.

• Plus1 7
4 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

Tons of good head coaches also call offensive plays. Off the top of my head: Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, Mike Leach, Jimbo Fisher, Lane Kiffin, Jamey Chadwell, Chip Kelly (and Tom Osborne!) from college and Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, Frank Reich, Doug Pederson (maybe not this year but he did win a SB!), and Kliff Kingsbury in the NFL.

I would rather our coach do what he's good at and the reason we hired him (the offense!) instead of mean mugging on the sideline watching the kickoff team or whatever to appease certain fans.

The NFL guys you listed are irrelevant to this discussion except for Kliff Kingsbury who is the fakest fake sharp known to man.  Good calls on Riley and Fisher, I had forgotten about those guys.  As for the other guys:

Mike Leach--eh pretty mediocre

Lane Kiffin--Lol no

Jamey Chadwell is 19-17.  Let's pump the brakes shall we?

Chip Kelly has been a disaster at UCLA and with every passing year I get more convinced that he was just ahead of the times at Oregon versus being an actual good coach.

I'm not sure why you threw TO in here as I said it's incredibly difficult to juggle both.  Of course arguably the GOAT could handle it.  You're not trying to insinuate that Frost is in the same galaxy as Osborne as a coach are you?

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, ScarletRevival said:

Imo, this staff said that they don't correct errors in practice. They want to go fast in practice and make the corrections in the meeting room.

I think the staff needs to rethink their handling of errors committed by their players.

Just because we've had three seasons of being error-prone you think we should change how we address errors? Seems like a knee-jerk reaction to me. 

• Haha 4
14 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Chinander and Verduzco can both kick rocks

Chinander solidified job security more than he didn't this past season. If Nebraska's offense could've performed at a B average instead of a D average, Nebraska may have had a division title or at the very least a positive winning record.

Verduzco, however... I don't know how much blame to put at this feet. He has one job, and so far, we can't call it a success. But the whole offense has been pretty inconsistent. Much of that falls at the QB's feet but there's a lot of stuff outside of their control that has been markedly poor.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

How much have those 900 wins and 30 years of excellence helped since 2001?

The fact of the matter is at this time we would be lucky to be Iowa or NW. This nonsense that a portion of our fan base spews about "not being a training ground for coaches" or "needing experienced P5 coordinators" isn't going to happen. 

I forget the exact stat, but essentially Nebraska is the state with the lowest population to have produced a Division 1 National Champion in either football or men's basketball. And those 5 NCs came in a 26 year stretch.

That is an outlier, an anomaly.  Outside of that stretch Nebraska hasn't been any different than Iowa or a number programs that our fans like to say are mediocre. And we've been looking up at the Iowas and NWs since we entered the B1G.

Those 900 wins and 30+ years of excellence - They have made us a giant pile of money.  They have kept the longest sell out streak in tact (no team will ever come anywhere close to breaking our records).  They have helped us gain recruits that want to play in a place with a long winning tradition.  They have also helped shape our expectations - we won't settle for mediocrity.  I for one love that.  

NW and Iowa can suck it.  Nebraska never has been and never will be on par with those schools.  Nebraska has been down for several years due to some very bad hiring decisions.  It was essentially burned to the ground.  The tradition that is Nebraska will be the main reason it will rebuild and rise above the Northwestern's and Iowa's of the world.  I firmly believe that process is well underway.  It's taking longer than our current instant gratification society would like, but it's happening.    

• Fire 3

Chinander is a D-Line and a corner away from having a truly impressive defense...and honestly, the defense was our bedrock unit for much of the season. As much as I've dogged Chin in the past, he's making progress and improving the unit he's responsible for. 

Can't say the same about our offense, though. And that falls on Frost's shoulders. He needs to fire himself as playcaller, hand the reigns over to Lubbick (though I'm still on the fence about him), and maybe spend more time with Special Teams (if we're not going to dedicate a coach to it) to shore that unit up. 

I mean, FFS, if we can't depend on our offense for consistency, at least get special teams up to snuff to where opposing teams have to start with garbage field position and aren't getting great returns. 

And Frost needs to revisit some of what he covers in practice. Discipline isn't there on either side of the ball, and that's coaching and mental acuity. That can be worked on in practice, and it should--we were our own worst enemy this season, and multiple B1G journalists have mentioned how Nebraska has the kids to win--we just can't keep from shooting ourselves in the foot. 

• Plus1 4