Staff Changes

HANC

Chin doesn’t seem to know when to bring pressure, show pressure, and lacks creativity on blitzes. The delay blitz that NEVER GETS THERE and 10 yards off on 3td and 2. Ugh. Fundamental lack of  tackling and dumb targeting penalties are a staple in the D. The Rutgers game he finally brought some heat which was nice to see. Wish he figured that out for the Iowa game. 

I hate the no pressure on 3rd and 12+ (Or 3rd and Chin). Goes into what feels like a prevent D. Still think NU can do better and feel like “give him more time” will produce the same results. 

Frost needs to realize he’s not TO. Get an OC whose worth something, Special teams coach, and an extra Oline coach. Make coaching cuts as needed. Maybe then they can shoot for a bowl game. Assuming they want to play in one. 

• Plus1 2

15 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

That is an outlier, an anomaly.  Outside of that stretch Nebraska hasn't been any different than Iowa or a number programs that our fans like to say are mediocre. And we've been looking up at the Iowas and NWs since we entered the B1G.

Prove it. How many wins does Nebraska have pre 1960? 

How many wins does Iowa have pre 1960? 

How many wins does Northwestern have pre 1960?

How many wins does Purdue have pre 1960? 

42 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

They wont want to do that as it will show our dominance in the 1910s and 20s. Wisconsin and Minnesota were solid in that time period. Iowa doesnt show up in the top 10 winning percentage in any of the decades from 1890s-1950s that I saw anyways. 

44 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Nebraska was one of the powers of college football before WWII, having the 5th best winning percentage from 1890-1941. Then it was 20 terrible years until Devaney showed up. From Devaney's first game to the last game of Tom Osborne's recruits, Nebraska had the best 40 year period in college football history. Since 2002, Nebraska is 35th in winning percentage.

Nebraska has nearly a century of exceptional football and about 35 years of bad to average teams clumped into two periods.

From 1869-1959

Nebraska: 359-211-34

Iowa: 293-242-28

Northwestern: 272-266-37

Purdue: 295-228-39

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Those 900 wins and 30+ years of excellence - They have made us a giant pile of money.  They have kept the longest sell out streak in tact (no team will ever come anywhere close to breaking our records).  They have helped us gain recruits that want to play in a place with a long winning tradition.  They have also helped shape our expectations - we won't settle for mediocrity.  I for one love that.  

NW and Iowa can suck it.  Nebraska never has been and never will be on par with those schools.  Nebraska has been down for several years due to some very bad hiring decisions.  It was essentially burned to the ground.  The tradition that is Nebraska will be the main reason it will rebuild and rise above the Northwestern's and Iowa's of the world.  I firmly believe that process is well underway.  It's taking longer than our current instant gratification society would like, but it's happening.    

I hope you're right, but the past 20 years hasn't proven that a ton of cash and a better fan base which sells out it's stadium has made much of a difference on the field.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, The_Fan_Man said:

Nebraska was one of the powers of college football before WWII, having the 5th best winning percentage from 1890-1941. Then it was 20 terrible years until Devaney showed up. From Devaney's first game to the last game of Tom Osborne's recruits, Nebraska had the best 40 year period in college football history. Since 2002, Nebraska is 35th in winning percentage.

Nebraska has nearly a century of exceptional football and about 35 years of bad to average teams clumped into two periods.

From 1869-1959

Quick math, in the 90 year period from 1869-1959 Nebraska had zero claimed National Championships and average less than 1 win per year more than each of those 3 programs.

If you'd like to consider that to be head and shoulders above those programs then we will have to agree to disagree.

Thanks for doing the leg work, though.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, The_Fan_Man said:

From 1869-1959

So basically we were a top program for a long time, had a 20 year period of being s#!tty. Then we’re good for a long time Again and now we have been s#!tty for 17 years. Hopefully history repeats itself and we got another long period of being great again just around the corner. 

point being most people think we were only good during Devaney and Osborne and that’s just not true. As you said we had another 50 year stretch of being a top 5 type team 

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Chinander is a D-Line and a corner away from having a truly impressive defense...and honestly, the defense was our bedrock unit for much of the season. As much as I've dogged Chin in the past, he's making progress and improving the unit he's responsible for. 

Can't say the same about our offense, though. And that falls on Frost's shoulders. He needs to fire himself as playcaller, hand the reigns over to Lubbick (though I'm still on the fence about him), and maybe spend more time with Special Teams (if we're not going to dedicate a coach to it) to shore that unit up. 

I mean, FFS, if we can't depend on our offense for consistency, at least get special teams up to snuff to where opposing teams have to start with garbage field position and aren't getting great returns. 

And Frost needs to revisit some of what he covers in practice. Discipline isn't there on either side of the ball, and that's coaching and mental acuity. That can be worked on in practice, and it should--we were our own worst enemy this season, and multiple B1G journalists have mentioned how Nebraska has the kids to win--we just can't keep from shooting ourselves in the foot. 

Amen brother

18 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

I agree with alot of this.

I think he was a pass rusher a way from having a good defense. 

I know chin gets a lot of flak, but he has been a lot more impressive then frost 

I'm not completely sold on Chin, still frustrates me at times, but his unit has improved each season. If you could say the same for the O and ST's we'd have been at least 6-2 and confident about the future.  Hell the O has been lower ranked with each season while having the same issue of being ranked much higher in yards than scoring. ST's were still crap outside of kicker that was developed and started at LSU. If we don't make real moves to fix the O and ST's I have very little faith in Frost turning this around. Defense I can accept "staying the course" on. 

22 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

Quick math, in the 90 year period from 1869-1959 Nebraska had zero claimed National Championships and average less than 1 win per year more than each of those 3 programs.

If you'd like to consider that to be head and shoulders above those programs then we will have to agree to disagree.

Thanks for doing the leg work, though.

Well, we didn't start playing until 1890. We could claim a National Championship if we wanted in 1902 where we didn't have a point scored on us all year. We also could claim it for undefeated seasons in 1903, 1913, and 1915 or with dominant teams with tough schedules in 1921, 1922, and 1933 without much controversy. We're were so much better than those guys even before Devaney got here. Don't look up Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, or Minnesota though. They were killers in the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

20 hours ago, macroboy said:

Did somebody think they just won an argument by quoting our record from 1890 to 1940?

It would be hard to find better proof of how far we have fallen than that right there.

who f@;$(&::ng cares?!?!

The point somebody made was that Nebraska was only Devaney and Osborne with a barren wasteland outside of those 40 years. That is objectively untrue. Nebraska has a long, dominant football tradition. We have as many exceptional years as Notre Dame, Alabama, Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, or Ohio State. And...why wouldn't you care about history. Notre Dame is in the playoff and talks about the 4 Horsemen and George Gipp and Knute Rockne. Alabama can't stop talking about their Mount Rushmore of coaches with Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Bear Bryant, and Nick Saban. Michigan has 1997 as the only National Championship since Jackie Robinson played for the Dodgers and still acts like they are one of only two teams in the Big 10.

College football is a story of continuity of teams despite a turnover of players. It's unique in that way unlike any other sport.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1