Staff Changes

HANC

5 hours ago, The_Fan_Man said:

The point somebody made was that Nebraska was only Devaney and Osborne with a barren wasteland outside of those 40 years. That is objectively untrue. Nebraska has a long, dominant football tradition. We have as many exceptional years as Notre Dame, Alabama, Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, or Ohio State. And...why wouldn't you care about history. Notre Dame is in the playoff and talks about the 4 Horsemen and George Gipp and Knute Rockne. Alabama can't stop talking about their Mount Rushmore of coaches with Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Bear Bryant, and Nick Saban. Michigan has 1997 as the only National Championship since Jackie Robinson played for the Dodgers and still acts like they are one of only two teams in the Big 10.

College football is a story of continuity of teams despite a turnover of players. It's unique in that way unlike any other sport.

I always love this little fact when the Four Horsemen are brought up:

"During the three-year tenure of the Four Horsemen, Notre Dame lost only two games; one each in 1922 and 1923, both to Nebraska in Lincoln before packed houses."  (from Wikipedia)

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Im gonna be honest. Im confused,  our only real issue on defense was pass rush.

I feel like i dont watch the same team as some of these guys sometimes. 

Same.  I'm guessing a typo to OLB (pass rush?).  I'd be thrilled to have Honas back.  Reimer and Henrich are shaping up to be really good IMHO.  Don't disagree with the O changes at all.  I'd really like a lot of the seniors on D (and CTB) to come back.

• Plus1 1

I think Stryker's article was spot on.  There has got to be some hard choices made.  If we go into spring ball with no changes, I think apathy sets in big time.  No changes means the same crazy results that we have not seen for 3 years wt Frost and 6 years since Bo was fired.

I especially Amen these comments of Styker's

1.  Replace Coach V with a special teams coach

2. Scott Frost - relinquish the play calling role

3. Scott Frost - take over coaching QBs if he thinks he has to coach a unit.   I'd prefer that he be a CEO and not get bogged down with coaching a specific unit because I could see him being distracted during the game wt his QBs while the D is on the field.

I think our biggest weakness on D was lack of a pass rush.  Not sure if that is coaching, lack of experience, lack of talent or scheme.  Would 4-3 be better?  At this point, I'm willing to give the D a break as it seemed to improve over the last year and we see some promising young talent being developed.  Coaching changes must happen on the O side of the ball I believe.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

Good read by Stryker.

https://www.huskermax.com/stryker-find-consistency-lose-the-drama-emphasize-the-run-solve-special-teams/

Really hope changes are made on offense and ILB.

I thought this was a great read into where we are today, as a program and going forward. 

I think we are maybe 1 pass rusher away from being one of the top D in the west. No one is going to shut down the offenses of today, totaly. 

We do have to be able score in the red zone, besides f/g. Better power running might help that. Play calling in the red zone is still hard to understand.

GBR!!!

13 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

I thought this was a great read into where we are today, as a program and going forward. 

I think we are maybe 1 pass rusher away from being one of the top D in the west. No one is going to shut down the offenses of today, totaly. 

We do have to be able score in the red zone, besides f/g. Better power running might help that. Play calling in the red zone is still hard to understand.

GBR!!!

I agree. But you should be able to have a very solid defense even if you dont recruit like Bama and Ohio State. Look at what Northwestern does. If we could be Northwestern on defense and Scott get his offense rolling. Look out.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

Good read by Stryker.

https://www.huskermax.com/stryker-find-consistency-lose-the-drama-emphasize-the-run-solve-special-teams/

Really hope changes are made on offense and ILB.

Tough to find much I disagree with in this article. At the very least, I think it's asking a lot of the right questions, particularly about Coach V and the offense's inability to find consistency. I really resonated with the comment about trying to roll back some of the horizontal components of this offense. We've seen too many swing passes or perimeter bubble screens result in TFL's, minimal gains or turnovers. Perhaps it can come back if the players can execute it well, but in three seasons, it hasn't been proven.

Personally, I'm not concerned about Duval and overall S&C. It seems like we've made a lot of improvements in three seasons (particularly with seeing less Husker players down on the field after plays like we did in 2017, but I don't have the #'s in front of me to prove that). I also think that this was one of the faster and stronger looking NU teams I've seen in some time, but strength and speed don't do much for you when you're not getting the mental and fundamental parts of the game right.

This is also division one football in the Big 10. Almost everybody is fast and strong. Games against a Rutgers where you just wear them down with a pounding, physical rushing attack in the 4th quarter are rare.

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Tough to find much I disagree with in this article. At the very least, I think it's asking a lot of the right questions, particularly about Coach V and the offense's inability to find consistency. I really resonated with the comment about trying to roll back some of the horizontal components of this offense. We've seen too many swing passes or perimeter bubble screens result in TFL's, minimal gains or turnovers. Perhaps it can come back if the players can execute it well, but in three seasons, it hasn't been proven.

Personally, I'm not concerned about Duval and overall S&C. It seems like we've made a lot of improvements in three seasons (particularly with seeing less Husker players down on the field after plays like we did in 2017, but I don't have the #'s in front of me to prove that). I also think that this was one of the faster and stronger looking NU teams I've seen in some time, but strength and speed don't do much for you when you're not getting the mental and fundamental parts of the game right.

This is also division one football in the Big 10. Almost everybody is fast and strong. Games against a Rutgers where you just wear them down with a pounding, physical rushing attack in the 4th quarter are rare.

I agree. I think if we had a consistent running game up the middle and a downfield passing threat those bubble screens and swing passes would open up. But we have neither so they dont work. 

19 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Yes. It has taken far too long to develop any level of consistency, they still miss gaps, and they are a liability in the passing game. In comparison to the improvements made by the other units, the lag behind.

Disagree.  They still missed some plays, but until Miller and then Reimer got hurt, this was arguably the best unit on a solid defense this year. You also had the #4 guy going back and forth with OLB because of depth there. The jump ILB made from last year was definitely the biggest of any position group. The athleticism is still a question, but I think that is improving as well.

• Plus1 3

Open Question:  are you all comfortable wt our S&C program?   I wonder if some of our inability to close out and win games comes down to our physical condition.  Were other teams just that much more physical than us and we were worn out and out of gas?

Of course physicality is more than S&C it is also attitude and that could play into it as well. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Lightfighter214 said:

I dont think we have enough information honestly. 

Since duval got here, we are definitely built different. 

We just don't do the small things well like st, turnovers, red zone, situational awareness,  field management,  etc

For me. What scares me the most is we don't seem really good at anything. It makes it really hard to try to put your finger on what is wrong with us. It seems like we are bad at everything. So what do you fix first? What is actually to blame. I feel like different people on this board could just talk in circles about what the actual problem is. Coaches? Players? S&C? Culture? All of it? I honestly don't know at this point. 

• Plus1 1