Staff Changes

HANC

9 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

I dont think we have enough information honestly. 

Since duval got here, we are definitely built different. 

We just don't do the small things well like st, turnovers, red zone, situational awareness,  field management,  etc

There was a game or two that I thought we were getting pushed around, which is exactly what Frost said he was going to address through the S&C program. Maybe it’s mental more than physical 

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

I dont think we have enough information honestly. 

Since duval got here, we are definitely built different. 

We just don't do the small things well like st, turnovers, red zone, situational awareness,  field management,  etc

+1. Agree entirely.

Based on my anecdotal eye test (for whatever that's worth), the 2020 Huskers seemed like one of the faster/stronger teams we've seen around the program recently. I don't recall seeing a ton of minor injuries or players being down on the field often, both of which were hallmarks of that 2017 season. There weren't a lot of matchups or games where I thought the opponent was objectively stronger or quicker than Nebraska.

I guess I also just have strong faith that Frost and Duval are doing everything they can to get their players physically prepared.

It's also worth pointing out that this is B1G division one football. A lot of players are strong and fast. Knowledge is more easily shared/replicated and the playing field is a lot more even in this regard than it was 20 or 30 years ago.

• Plus1 1
On 12/28/2020 at 10:00 AM, TGHusker said:

I think our biggest weakness on D was lack of a pass rush.  Not sure if that is coaching, lack of experience, lack of talent or scheme.  Would 4-3 be better? 

I still wouldn't say we've got a real legit pass rushing OLB on the roster. I've been watching recruiting classes for this since Diaco came here, and I haven't seen it yet. But I don't think we really have any 4-3 DEs on the roster at the moment, either. 3-4 DEs are more like 4-3 DTs.

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

+1. Agree entirely.

Based on my anecdotal eye test (for whatever that's worth), the 2020 Huskers seemed like one of the faster/stronger teams we've seen around the program recently. I don't recall seeing a ton of minor injuries or players being down on the field often, both of which were hallmarks of that 2017 season. There weren't a lot of matchups or games where I thought the opponent was objectively stronger or quicker than Nebraska.

I guess I also just have strong faith that Frost and Duval are doing everything they can to get their players physically prepared.

It's also worth pointing out that this is B1G division one football. A lot of players are strong and fast. Knowledge is more easily shared/replicated and the playing field is a lot more even in this regard than it was 20 or 30 years ago.

One thing I’ll disagree on. It felt to me like we heard a lot about our RBs and WRs having minor injuries or were trying get healthy so that is why we never saw them play. 

11 minutes ago, VizionNE said:

Listen to the Rutgers coach after the game in describing Nebraska. Duval is getting the team where they want it to be. 

Problem? We play so many young kids it’s hard to see it entirely. That and we continue to be one of the worst teams turning the football over :(

Duval seemed to have cut down on a lot of injuries this year. Be that luck or changes in S&C. Seemed like every year the incoming freshman got decimated. 

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

One thing I’ll disagree on. It felt to me like we heard a lot about our RBs and WRs having minor injuries or were trying get healthy so that is why we never saw them play. 

I was speaking more to the whole, but I admit it's entirely anecdotal. It just feels to me like they've done a better job of S&C and helping players avoid those more minor ligament/muscle injuries or soft tissue injuries. Some may recall that these types of injuries were an issue during Riley's years.

I also vividly remember that 2017 season where it felt like we had players laying on the turf left and right each game due to some type of bump, bruise or injury. Not saying it didn't happen in 2020, but it seemed like less of an overall concern.

• Plus1 4

21 hours ago, hunter49 said:

Verduzso and Held need to show they can coach and develop players. One more year is enough.

I think Verduccio is fine.  He helps the QBs in many ways. Just keep in mind, he's not the OC or playcaller, and he doesn't make the throws in the game. 

I do agree that Held needs to step up his game with the RB production.  Things haven't been so hunky-dory at the position the past few years.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, admo said:

I think Verduccio is fine.  He helps the QBs in many ways. Just keep in mind, he's not the OC or playcaller, and he doesn't make the throws in the game. 

I do agree that Held needs to step up his game with the RB production.  Things haven't been so hunky-dory at the position the past few years.

If you’re gonna use the logic that Verduzco doesn’t make the throws during the game might as well add that Ryan Held also doesn’t call plays nor run the football. Come on. 2 straight years of QB flops. Literally 0 depth. Our backup QB is better served at WR. Enough with the passes. 

• Thanks 8

16 minutes ago, Decked said:

If you’re gonna use the logic that Verduzco doesn’t make the throws during the game might as well add that Ryan Held also doesn’t call plays nor run the football. Come on. 2 straight years of QB flops. Literally 0 depth. Our backup QB is better served at WR. Enough with the passes. 

I did say keep it mind.  I didn't say "make me look like an idiot" :lol::lol:

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, Decked said:

Yep and its amazing the excuses people use to justify the s#!tty QB play.  It cant always be the fault of the WRs, RBs and OL.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1