Staff Changes

HANC

Something needs to change somewhere. Practice methodology,  coaching staff, game planning. You name it. 

we do not have less talent then NW, but we look stupid in discipline and preparation compared to them. I never thought we’d be at the OSU level by year three, but sure thought we’d be more disciplined and just smarter. 

• Plus1 3

32 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Honestly, we're about 70% underclassmen on roster.  I think we take a step forward next year with the extra experience.  This year was challenging and not having a lot of upperclassmen on roster to lead and not having a lot of practices was detrimental to our season.

Not good enough. For me anyway. Snapping the ball, poorly used timeouts, and more. 

the more I think about the simple details that the Nebraska Frost teams can’t do, the more I realize what an expensive gamble he was/is. Maybe ten years from now we’ll all remember this period of Husker history gently . Or maybe I’ll be dead.  But as for the here and now, I am sick and tired of being embarrassed by the “potential” of this coaching staff. 

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Not good enough. For me anyway. Snapping the ball, poorly used timeouts, and more. 

the more I think about the simple details that the Nebraska Frost teams can’t do, the more I realize what an expensive gamble he was/is. Maybe ten years from now we’ll all remember this period of Husker history gently . Or maybe I’ll be dead.  But as for the here and now, I am sick and tired of being embarrassed by the “potential” of this coaching staff. 

I know Frost’s teams have been played undisciplined with a lot of penalties and turnovers. However, you specifically point out bad snaps and poorly used timeouts. The snaps were fixed after halftime of the Iowa game (with very few “bad” snaps, and no disastrous snaps in the last 3 1/2 games) after the coaches made an adjustment on Jurgens’ alignment. Also, can you give examples of poor timeout usage? I can think of one time where Frost could/should have called a timeout against Iowa to force their kicker to kick a FG into the wind at the end of the season 3rd quarter. 

• Plus1 3
Just now, Lightfighter214 said:

Giving them credit for fixing snaps hightlights how bad and inept the staff is.  It took them 2.5 years to make a simple adjustment?

Rutgers is a perfect example of bad timeout is usage. They go for two and our defense isnt close to lined up. We don't call a timeout because as frost said "i was busy getting the next offensive series ready"

Jurgens has been the starting center for 1.5 years. Yes, he had bad snaps early in 2019, which was mostly corrected in the 2nd half of 2019. The bad snaps came back this year when Jurgens was fighting foot/leg injuries. Then an adjustment was made.

Thanks for the Rutgers example of poor timeout usage.  Have any more?

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know Frost’s teams have been played undisciplined with a lot of penalties and turnovers. However, you specifically point out bad snaps and poorly used timeouts. The snaps were fixed after halftime of the Iowa game (with very few “bad” snaps, and no disastrous snaps in the last 3 1/2 games) after the coaches made an adjustment on Jurgens’ alignment. Also, can you give examples of poor timeout usage? I can think of one time where Frost could/should have called a timeout against Iowa to force their kicker to kick a FG into the wind at the end of the season 3rd quarter. 

It’s cumulative. Just to point out how much of a system he doesn’t have. Frost is a complete project and who knows how he will turn out. 

a timeout before the first snap on a possession change, sticks out. Last years timeout to start a half (was it last year) was something I’ve never seen from a D1 school. It’s probably happened, but I’ve never seen it. Just basic game management issues that a 35 million coach should not have 

And what magical thing happened at the half of the Iowa game? Two years of bad snaps and I don’t think there great now, just maybe more manageable. Center is a hard position and completely underrated by most. Taken for granted mostly, but someone can do it and someone can coach it. It’s been done before. 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Jurgens has been the starting center for 1.5 years. Yes, he had bad snaps early in 2019, which was mostly corrected in the 2nd half of 2019. The bad snaps came back this year when Jurgens was fighting foot/leg injuries. Then an adjustment was made.

Why do you need more?  

How about 35 million more  

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

It’s cumulative. Just to point out how much of a system he doesn’t have. Frost is a complete project and who knows how he will turn out. 

a timeout before the first snap on a possession change, sticks out. Last years timeout to start a half (was it last year) was something I’ve never seen from a D1 school. It’s probably happened, but I’ve never seen it. Just basic game management issues that a 35 million coach should not have 

And what magical thing happened at the half of the Iowa game? Two years of bad snaps and I don’t think there great now, just maybe more manageable. Center is a hard position and completely underrated by most. Taken for granted mostly, but someone can do it and someone can coach it. It’s been done before. 

Don’t disagree that center is hard, especially with the number of shotgun snaps in today’s game. I think @Mavrichas pointed out that NU isn’t the only team who has seen bad snaps this year. I saw Clemson’s center give Lawrence a number of high snaps against Ohio State, and Lawrence is 3 inches taller than Martinez.

I agree that game management needs to improve. I was just curious about your specific points. 

24 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Huh? Is that a reference to Frost’s salary/contract? That’s the laziest argument ever. 

It’s not. Again, going back to my post that started this discussion. We hired a project and probably over paid for it.  And I haven’t seen a lot of progress on the simple things. Maybe ten years from now, his brilliance will come to fruition, but just judging by the year three results on the field, we would have been smart to keep Riley and save the money. 

I see almost zero progress on offense. Zip/zero, none.  He needs to change almost everything about his program. 

• Plus1 1

Just asking to create more conversation.  To me it seems as if some, maybe more than I think aren't going to be happy unless SF is fired? 

I think everyone is agreement that stuff must change. Some will give SF some slack and point out reasons/excuses and others will die on the hill saying he is horrible and needs to go.

Who thinks he needs to be gone, or will not be happy until he is gone?

I do not fall into this category,  yet. Just interested.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know there was one fake punt with 10 people on the field, that Frost also didn't see as he was getting ready for the next offensive series.  Illinois maybe? 4th and 14? The ones I've really noticed are related to special teams and it drives me crazy that Frost just isn't paying attention during the games to ST.  Get me a full time ST coordinator and I'll drink some kool-aid again by March.

• Plus1 3
58 minutes ago, HANC said:

Just asking to create more conversation.  To me it seems as if some, maybe more than I think aren't going to be happy unless SF is fired? 

I think everyone is agreement that stuff must change. Some will give SF some slack and point out reasons/excuses and others will die on the hill saying he is horrible and needs to go.

Myself, I want to see next year before forming an opinion about if he's the "right" guy or not.  If next year is bad, I think he's coaching for his job in year 5 (lucky for him the 2022 schedule looks to be more manageable).  

I want to see continuity in coaching.  I'm rooting for him to get things going so the team can have that.

1 hour ago, HANC said:

I don’t want him gone, I want him to get better. I want him to drop his stubborn ways and put the success of the program before how he thinks he’s going to dictate it.

It’s a tough gig. The ultra successful coaches today cut their coaching teeth before football became really confusing. They grew with it. They knew football first then the heap of stuff that was added in the last 20.  They learned to walk before they ran. Analytics, rule changes, social media, replay, even university rules and regs really complicate things. 

but I don’t think he is worth 35 million. Not now. And not to knit pick  your post, but you’re already making excuses for 2021, year four.