Staff Changes

HANC

12 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

See this is part of the discussion i have a very very very VERY hard time accepting.  It when people think we settled for coach frost, or we took on a project in him.  No Coach frost was the hottest coaching prospect that year, he won so many accolades for what he did in UCF in just a few short years.  Moos couldnt of done any better that year, look what we were up against.  Firing a coach AGAIN after just a few short years.  Im sure no matter what the list was short on distinguished people who would of even wanted to come here in the first place.  And moos got the best one the number one coaching prospect i believe, who happened to come from the great state of nebraska, who happened to be a former nc title team quarter back.  Who probably had the backing of most former players and one of the greatest coaches ever.  We instantly were put in the top 25 despite having a very bad record that year and the pundits had very high hopes for us.  But you say that it was a mistake that something wasnt right in doing that.  I dont know how many more ducks in a row or lighting strikes, or winning lotto tickets you can expect at one moment.  I understand feeling frustrated and upset now but i dont think anyone has a right to think that we didnt do anything but get the best coaching prospect at that time.  It just hasnt panned out like everyone thought it would.

Firing Frost is not the answer.  Does he had some improving to do?  Yes. But firing a guy who has basically flipped the roster in 2 years, new conference, positions not panning out etc is not the right way to go.  He is in his 5th year as a HC.  He didn't bring a wealth of coaching experience here......Unfortunately, he and his staff are learning on the fly.  The B1G simply isn't a very forgiving place to learn.  A lot of talent, top to bottom and good coaches.  The last thing we need is to fire him.

I get why people are unhappy but did you guys really expect us to be great this year?  We have a really young team that didn't get spring or a normal fall to develop.  Literally every team we played had an experience edge and on a year like this, experience means a lot.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

I get why people are unhappy but did you guys really expect us to be great this year?  We have a really young team that didn't get spring or a normal fall to develop.  Literally every team we played had an experience edge and on a year like this, experience means a lot.

We were really far from great. I get your point about unrealistic expectations. But outside of field goals, which this staff cannot take any credit for, what on offense looks like we are build something serviceable. It’s really embarrassing. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, HANC said:

Not sure where you see me making excuses for 2021. That wasnt the intent.  I agree with your assessment and pretty much agree with your train of thought. As a coach, I put a little more on the players and the process than some do. All calls and schemes are good if the players execute. You are absolutely correct on it starts and stops with the HC. 35 mill to train a guy doesnt make sense. I wanted him,, still do, and was ok with 35 m initially. 

I put more on the coaches. It is on them to teach what they want done. They need to relate to the players and get through to them. That’s what good coaches do. Take Urban for example- he is a success everywhere he goes. Every stop has new players and he is only constant. Lots of teams out there with top talent and they are just ok teams 

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I put more on the coaches. It is on them to teach what they want done. They need to relate to the players and get through to them. That’s what good coaches do. Take Urban for example- he is a success everywhere he goes. Every stop has new players and he is only constant. Lots of teams out there with top talent and they are just ok teams 

This is completely inaccurate 

There are not "lots of teams" with top talent, but you can bet your arse Meyer would only take a job at one of those places that does have it.

30 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

We were really far from great. I get your point about unrealistic expectations. But outside of field goals, which this staff cannot take any credit for, what on offense looks like we are build something serviceable. It’s really embarrassing. 

We were actually pretty dang good at times this year but we were really inconsistent.  I believe that is due to inexperience, Covid, injuries, and we we're forced to try to work out our depth chart during games against good teams.  I am personally confident in the system but I completely get why some fans aren't.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

I really haven’t heard of anyone wanting him fired. It’s ride or die for me. 

Doesn’t mean I’m not going to critique every misfire along the way. BUT at some point I will not care as much. I think it’s coming soon. 

Yeah people that say 'Fire Frost' are nuts, but I rarely see a Fire Frost post. He's our guy for the foreseeable future. Frost has got to do his staff/team a huge favor and win 6-7 games next year. Year 4 is nut up or shut up territory. Beat FCS north-south LA Tech, Mel Tucker, Year 1 Illinois, depleted (maybe) Fitzless NW, MAC's finest and one of the other completely average teams that inhabit our division. That's all it will take. Win 6-7 games, let us cheer our asses off against Arizona St in the Red Box Bowl and get this thing moving in the right direction - anything less and there will be more s#!t flinging. 

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

And I don’t generally buy into the Frost has suffered exponentially from the transfer portal, so I did a quick check and it appears to be true. He has suffered from the transfer portal. 25 in 2020. Wisconsin had 5 or 6. Ohio State had 4 or 5. Michigan 12. 

But it probably Riley’s fault. 

I don't think this is correct.  247 shows 21, but that includes seven walk-ons and two guys who were accused of sexual assault and expelled from the university.  When you have 30 more walk-ons than anyone else you're also going to lose more than anyone else.  Only 4-5 of those guys were ever going to contribute so I'm not sure it's all that big of a deal.

The other numbers are about right but it doesn't look like any of the others have any walk-ons listed.  So it seems extremely likely that either Nebraska's numbers are inflated by the number of walk-ons we carry or that our guys reporting to 247 actually include those guys where other schools don't.  Probably both are true.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think this is correct.  247 shows 21, but that includes seven walk-ons and two guys who were accused of sexual assault and expelled from the university.  When you have 30 more walk-ons than anyone else you're also going to lose more than anyone else.  Only 4-5 of those guys were ever going to contribute so I'm not sure it's all that big of a deal.

The other numbers are about right but it doesn't look like any of the others have any walk-ons listed.  So it seems extremely likely that either Nebraska's numbers are inflated by the number of walk-ons we carry or that our guys reporting to 247 actually include those guys where other schools don't.  Probably both are true.

They just list names 247, not totals so maybe I counted wrong.  A few of the guys were troubled kids like Maurice Washington or criminal like Legone. Neither have found a home and I’m sad about Mo not finding a spot. He had some emotional issues and I hoped he could get the help he needs and get in a program somewhere. 

maybe it’s inflated, but there is some talent that left too. 

8 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

maybe it’s inflated, but there is some talent that left too. 

"Some talent", yes.  But like I said, there were only about 5 guys who were every going to play a meaningful snap: Washington, Spielman, Gray and Francois plus Hunt but him leaving wasn't about football. 

The only thing that really made a difference is how bad we struck out at WR for five years.

7 hours ago, TheSker said:

This is completely inaccurate 

There are not "lots of teams" with top talent, but you can bet your arse Meyer would only take a job at one of those places that does have it.

Actually it is real accurate. Try again 

bowling green and Utah so half the teams he coached were not loaded with talent. He also just said in an interview he would like a rebuild job those were some of his funnest times coaching. 

I could list off lots of teams right now with top talent that doesn’t get the results to match year in and year out. Texas, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Oregon, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Florida. Do I need to go on. 

the only teams who are great every year have great talent and top coaches. Ohio State, Bama, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, 

mullen is getting things going at Florida now but they been floundering since Meyer