Staff Changes

HANC

My other thought (if we don't remove a full time staff member but want it handled by one) is Lubick. Frost is too involved in the offense to focus on special teams, but because of that Lubick probably doesn't need to be as involved as most OCs. And all we hear about is how detailed and organized he is, which would lend itself well to the position. No clue if he can coach it, but I don't think Frost has/Pelini did either. Can still have an analyst come up with the plans, but somebody has to be putting it into practice.  

Beckton could also work - have a couple periods where the TEs either block with the OL or run routes with the WRs and he's got time. 

24 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

So does Frost take the Pelini approach and focus on the special teams himself? Considering that was the last time we saw really improved special teams.

I like this idea as it may free up Lubick to have more responsibility for the offense. From what we have heard Frost has been heavily involved in the offense and calling plays all three seasons here and that is not an easy task when you are also trying to manage an entire team.  Give Lubick more control of the offense and see how things go in 2021. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Rutledge has a great record in year 2 where ever he has been as an analyst.......I think he is a sacrificial cow....I was hoping for someone else...But that's just me. Maybe some changes/moves coming up. 

Then why doesn’t he stay anywhere long? 

5 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I haven’t looked at Rutledge’s entire career, but college football coaches are pretty nomadic people to begin with, and I’m sure his coaching experiences have included head coaches getting fired, moving to other schools for a full-time coaching gig, or trying to work for bigger/better programs.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Gets hired away. We took him away from Auburn...From his history, unsure if he was/is the issue.  I'll add I did not check to see if the teams listed below also had a coach who was assigned ST duties so Rutledge could do his thing and the ST coach could do his thing on game day....If I understand the analysts position, they can't interact with the players.  So I am unsure which coach would implement the game day plan/actually talk to the players. I look at our penalties, miscues and missed assignments across the board the past 3 years and have to say blowing stuff on ST's has been an issue in all 3 phases in all 3 years.  Not Rutledge's fault.  We were mistake prone prior to his arrival.

A snap shot of his stops:

Rutledge came to Nebraska after spending the past four seasons as a special teams analyst in the SEC. He guided Auburn’s special teams the past two seasons with impressive results. Football Outsiders ranked the Tigers’ special teams among the nation’s top 15 units in each of Rutledge’s two seasons, including 13th in 2019 and 14th in 2018.

In 2019, Auburn was especially strong in the return game. Christian Tutt averaged 13.6 yards on his 23 punt returns, ranking fifth in the country in punt return average and first among all players with more than 20 returns. Noah Igbinoghene averaged 35.2 yards per kickoff return. Igbinoghene fell just short of the required minimum to be included in the NCAA statistical rankings, but the 2019 national leader averaged 33.2 yards per return, two fewer than Igbinoghene.

In Rutledge’s first season at Auburn, the Tigers led the nation with seven blocked kicks, including four blocked punts. Auburn also boasted the nation’s most improved punting unit, ranking fifth nationally in net punting in 2018 after ranking 115th in the same category in 2017, before Rutledge arrived. A big reason for Auburn’s improvement was a punt return defense that ranked ninth nationally by allowing fewer than 3.4 yards per return. Individually, punter Arryn Siposs was a Ray Guy Award nominee and kicker Anders Carlson ranked 11th nationally in touchback percentage.

Rutledge joined Auburn after spending two seasons as Missouri’s special teams analyst. In 2017, Missouri dominated the punting game. Punter Corey Fatony was a Ray Guy Award semifinalist, and the Tigers’ punt return unit ranked third nationally, averaging more than 16.5 yards per return. In 2016, Missouri ranked 13th in the country in net punting and 14th in punt returns.

Prior to his four seasons in the SEC, Rutledge spent two seasons as a graduate assistant in charge of wide receivers and special teams at North Carolina. The Tar Heels’ special teams were ranked as the No. 2 unit in the country in 2015. North Carolina was nearly as good in 2014, when it ranked 10th nationally in kickoff return defense, 16th in blocked punts and 18th in punt return defense. Individually, Tar Heel kicker Nick Weiler was a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award in 2015.