Staff Changes

HANC

I know this a massive stat line to dig up but what are the average special teams rankings across the FBS landscape of teams with a dedicated special teams coach versus without & by committee? I’d be curious to see. Obviously it depends on who hire but. 

50 minutes ago, Decked said:

I know this a massive stat line to dig up but what are the average special teams rankings across the FBS landscape of teams with a dedicated special teams coach versus without & by committee? I’d be curious to see. Obviously it depends on who hire but. 

Source: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overallst/2019

Georgia, Iowa, ASU, OSU all ranked very high the last two seasons. All but OSU have a Special Teams Coordinator who has no other duties. OSU has a LB/Special Teams coordinator 

Our ratings have been horrid - obviously we didn't have a dedicated ST coach either season. 

• Fire 1

If you're not going to make the guy an on field coach, then hire someone who is doing it from off the field with success. 

I see a lot of people looking at football outsiders stats on here. Their Special Teams stats are garbage. 

1. A touchback on a kickoff is not "efficient" for them.

2. A punt that nets 38 yards is.

3. Field position stats, while a function of  teams are more dependent on O/D. You can have great teams, a bad O and a poo D and still get crushed on field position.

4. Sample sizes this year were a nightmare so any "analytics" are skewed wildly this year.

Bill Connelly's S+ for ESPN stats much better, if you can get the full rankings.

App State, Florida, NC State, Iowa, Kentucky Houston, & Army have been the best teams on SPT this year.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Johhny_Nebraska said:

If you're not going to make the guy an on field coach, then hire someone who is doing it from off the field with

We had a guy who had a history of year two success at multiple locations.   And we just fired him after year one.  

Without a good special teams “coach.”  Not analyst.  I’d bet good money we’ll be bottom half FBS next year too. It’s clearly not a point of emphasis up to this point.   

oh, and welcome to HB!

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

We had a guy who had a history of year two success at multiple locations.   And we just fired him after year one.  

Without a good special teams “coach.”  Not analyst.  I’d bet good money we’ll be bottom half FBS next year too. It’s clearly not a point of emphasis up to this point.   

oh, and welcome to HB!

I just SMH at some of Frost's decisions....Mind boggling.  Easy to point to ST miscues as having cost us game(s) each year.......

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

oh, and welcome to HB!

I think "year 2 success" is an issue don't you? Why wouldn't you want and require, year 1 success. Special teams can turn around quickly. It's all about match ups and keeping it simply nuanced.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Johhny_Nebraska said:

I think "year 2 success" is an issue don't you? Why wouldn't you want and require, year 1 success. Special teams can turn around quickly. It's all about match ups and keeping it simply nuanced.

I think you are correct but I'm not sure how much freedom an analyst has.  Was he able to get the players he wanted on the field?  Did the coaches actually doing the coaching agree with his recommendations?  I have a hard time pinning the failures of the season on an analyst- especially during a year that practices were limited.  I'm guessing there was maybe a personality conflict or something else that lead to him being fired. 

Count me in as a guy who would love to see a ST coordinator actually performing the coaching.   

8 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I think you are correct but I'm not sure how much freedom an analyst has.  Was he able to get the players he wanted on the field?  Did the coaches actually doing the coaching agree with his recommendations?  I have a hard time pinning the failures of the season on an analyst- especially during a year that practices were limited.  I'm guessing there was maybe a personality conflict or something else that lead to him being fired. 

Count me in as a guy who would love to see a ST coordinator actually performing the coaching.   

Mitch Sherman at The Athletic had an interview with Rutledge after he was let go. He did say a lot of the struggles were out of his control, but that he would probably let the ST analyst go as well were he in Frost's position. He didn't really expand on the out of his control other than Cerni's injury and injuries to "other guys who were critical to what we wanted to be." It's a paid site so I'm not going to pull more quotes, but he kinda goes all over the place. Didn't mind the system we had with him being an analyst, but does advocate for it being a staff position. He was pretty vague all around, so you can probably read into it however you want - did mention Frost was consumed by the offense though, not in ST meetings. Overall he wasn't burning any bridges but seemed relatively unhappy with his stuff translating to the field. As anyone with a sense of pride in their ST work would be. 

25 minutes ago, Johhny_Nebraska said:

I'm not advocating either way in regards to Rutledge.  But, to your point, if "year 2 success" is an issue, then why hire someone who historically hasn't shown good results in year 1, but has in year 2 at school?  And then fire him after year one.  I'm a Frost guy, but I'll say the biggest issue here is the "hands off" approach HCSF has apparently taken thus far in regards to ST.  He's essentially admitted as much.  That really needs to change IMO.  Trust the OC more with the offense and spend some time with ST and D.