Staff Changes

HANC

1 hour ago, Decked said:

If only we could’ve landed Sean Snyder as special teams analyst last year. Good adds. I’m impressed. Surround yourself with great coaches & you’ll win. 

Why on the good green earth would he want to be an analyst?! This is so ridiculously stupid. Not you, but the decision to not just hire that guy full time. USC was #1 in special teams! Where were we? 120th-ish.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

Bill Busch is a massive addition to the staff. Also becomes a big asset if Fisher were to be lured away after the season. 

Despite the slow pace of on-field progress which is obviously the major concern, Frost is proving to be a great with his hires off the field. We need the wins to follow but he's assembling a mix of coaches and people to be great again.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

"The Pender native spent the last three seasons working at LSU as a safeties coach under Ed Orgeron."

Did anyone else just learn Pender was a real place?

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/nebraska-names-former-lsu-and-nu-assistant-bill-busch-defensive-analyst

Was the dredge real too?

Someone check the dredge for a body. No word from Thurston lately 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Take a look at Bill Busch's resume and recruiting record. Add in the home state pride factor and the addition is a big deal. 

Srsly?  When did his name ever get mentioned in Husker football talk as a missing piece these past 5-10 seasons?  Why get obsessed over an analyst position hire?  Throw in resume and recruiting record all you want... he's an analyst.  Sorry I'm not going to look it up.  I'm glad if he helps the Huskers in his new capacity, and that's all it is. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, runningblind said:

Why on the good green earth would he want to be an analyst?! This is so ridiculously stupid. Not you, but the decision to not just hire that guy full time. USC was #1 in special teams! Where were we? 120th-ish.

You’re correct. He was coming here last year as an analyst until Clay called him & begged him to come to SC as a full time coach. Can’t turn that down. 

9 hours ago, admo said:

Srsly?  When did his name ever get mentioned in Husker football talk as a missing piece these past 5-10 seasons?  Why get obsessed over an analyst position hire?  Throw in resume and recruiting record all you want... he's an analyst.  Sorry I'm not going to look it up.  I'm glad if he helps the Huskers in his new capacity, and that's all it is. 

Hey by all means be ignorant. His addition is big for us. With Fisher flirting this past off season with Georgia, he may be on the lookout for the next stop soon. Busch is a proven recruiter and would be able to step into a role if needed. As for guys he recruited here previously: Bowman, Amukamara, Burkes, Hagg, Marcel Jones, among others. In short, the guy knows how to sell Nebraska to recruits. 

Analyst roles obviously have limitations but they seem to be working for Alabama and their seemingly unending rolodex of analysts. I’m not obsessed over it but I do believe it is a great addition for the program. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2

While I am not exactly sure how much an impact analyst coaches can have, they are still good to have on the team, especially if they have quality coaching experience and recruiting chops.  It was released that Busch is going to make $36K for the next year, so that tells me he's still getting paid from his contract with LSU.  Unless Busch is bumped up to a full-time gig, he probably won't be at NU past 2021.  But, he is still a good coach to have on the "bench" and help the program out for at least 1 year.  I just hope people don't freak out when Busch potentially leaves NU in 2022 for a full-time assistant job, because he's only being an analyst due to special circumstances.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Do analysts actually move to Lincoln?  I can't imagine uprooting the family and moving for only 36,000 per year knowing you're looking for an actual coaching gig as soon as possible.  They can't take part in practice or games.  I would think a lot of it would be film study that they can do anywhere.

It's a lot easier to do when you're still getting paid a bunch from your old school/NFL team. They get paid more if it's their only income, but most don't need the money for the year. The article doesn't say that LSU is only paying part of Busch's salary (just that they're still paying him), so $450,000+ and the $36,000 from us is pretty much a bonus.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Do analysts actually move to Lincoln?  I can't imagine uprooting the family and moving for only 36,000 per year knowing you're looking for an actual coaching gig as soon as possible.  They can't take part in practice or games.  I would think a lot of it would be film study that they can do anywhere.

I actually have talked to several NFL and D-1 college coaches.  This is part of the deal.  They always rent.  One Browns coach said they always home school their kids, and never unpack.  He said that most of their stuff is in tubs.  He said they could move in three days if they had to do so.  They were on their third stint with the Browns.  It is a tough life style, but they know what they are in for with this profession.  It isn't for me.  My guess is that Fischer is looking to move out and Busch is in the analyst postion for one year.

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Coaches know they have a nomadic life when they enter the profession, and they explain the situations to their spouses/significant other/families.  It looks like Bill has 3 kids, but he's 55, there is a good chance they are grown and out of the house (total guess on my part).  For this role with NU, Busch may tell his wife that she can live wherever she wants for the next year, and visit him in Lincoln when she wants to.  This role will be a one-year stopover for Busch, unless he gets promoted to a full-time gig in 2022 (if one comes open).  Each coach probably has arrangements with their family that depends on each personal situation.

Heck, Mike Riley lived out of the Embassy Suites for most of his tenure at NU.  I know that his wife had issues with paint allergies, but he was the head coach and didn't even bother trying to re-establish himself in Lincoln.

EDIT:  After quick internet stalking for Bill Busch's bio, it looks like he married his current wife in 2019.  This is likely not the mother of his children, so his children probably live with the mom in a more stable environment.  Busch's new wife probably accepts the nomadic lifestyle of a D1 football coach as a tradeoff for his annual salary which is in the mid-six figures.

• Plus1 1