Staff Changes

HANC

16 hours ago, rocketlb said:

Yesterday (March 1st) during his normal segment on Severe & Benning, Jay Foreman explained what his role is and why he's doing it.  Essentially, he outline your former point as his main purpose.  He expressed that he was lucky enough to have some former husker players (from the 80's) give him some life advice while he was playing.  He said he wants to give back to the program by offering up his life experiences and make himself available to them as a resource.

Obviously, it's probably easier to just listen to what he said rather than read a brief synopsis from some random board member.  He starts talking about it at the 4:20 mark:

Awesome, thank you for sharing. Can't see how this is anything but a positive thing. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

all this talk of culture is wearing my a$$ out!  if the kids aren't getting it, the coaches are not doing their job.

maybe Frost needs to take a visit to a successful program? 

Relax, we're six months from games so of course off-field topics will be discussed ad nauseam. @rocketlb's summary was solid. Sounds like the former players are going in with the right focus. Hopefully the players can pick up some intangible traits that will lead to on-field success in one way or another. 

• Thanks 4
3 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Relax, we're six months from games so of course off-field topics will be discussed ad nauseam. @rocketlb's summary was solid. Sounds like the former players are going in with the right focus. Hopefully the players can pick up some intangible traits that will lead to on-field success in one way or another. 

Maybe the players can pick up those intangible traits by  doing  what most of us have done during these dourer seasons - watch videos of the 1990s!  :restore:bonez

Get them so indoctrinated by our 1990s propaganda films that they will run through a wall for Frost this fall and we end up going undefeated :koolaid2:

or give them a free :Runza2: as a participation reward  :dunno 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Maybe the players can pick up those intangible traits by  doing  what most of us have done during these dourer seasons - watch videos of the 1990s!  :restore:bonez

Get them so indoctrinated by our 1990s propaganda films that they will run through a wall for Frost this fall and we end up going undefeated :koolaid2:

or give them a free :Runza2: as a participation reward  :dunno 

Haha I was thinking more along the lines of leadership, internal accountability and teamwork but that doesn't sound like a bad alternative. 

3 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Haha I was thinking more along the lines of leadership, internal accountability and teamwork but that doesn't sound like a bad alternative. 

Hey, if the season goes south, I'll take a case of Runza's for consolation.  Wish we could get those in Tulsa.   

Yes, those traits you mentioned are the ingredients for a successful team and were a trade mark of those 1990s teams.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Dr. Strangelove said:

Agreed.

However, it would be difficult to turn down. He'd be paid 2-3 million per year for 3 years until he's fired. It would take him what, 3x that amount of time to make the same at NU?

About $400k here.  So 5x-7x.  Plus they just paid Miles $2M to go away amid a scandal. 

15 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Agreed.

However, it would be difficult to turn down. He'd be paid 2-3 million per year for 3 years until he's fired. It would take him what, 3x that amount of time to make the same at NU?

I don't know why people think it would be a bad idea to take the KU job.  It's a D-1 coaching job at a Power 5 conference.  If you have a good agent, you can get them to guarantee a 4-5 year contract, at $2-3 million per year.  That's $8-15 million guaranteed.  Who cares if you are likely to be fired within 3-4 years.  Take that sweet money, and then go back to being an assistant coach somewhere.  If the coach has any type of decent season, he can get a raise and extension and basically hit the lottery.  I don't get why people say "that's a dead end job, no one would want that".

• Plus1 2

If Held is hired.. (If is the key).. I wonder "if" Ameer might consider coaching? He is after all from the southeast (Alabama) so likely has name recognition in what is seemingly becoming a hotbed of talent for us. Also, he's a husker... meaning its something he takes pride in and his love for the program would likely immerse itself within his players too. Besides, when you listen to him speak, he sounds like a coach. Highly accomplished, Highly skilled, driven, motivated and very articulate. Makes me wonder... could he? would he?

• Haha 1