Staff Changes

HANC

If verduzco isnt gone then frosty most likely signed his own ticket out of town.  QB play is the most important in football and there has been zero sign of progress we have someone who can throw the ball since the day frosty came on board.  

Sure, bad snaps, o line issues, young receiving corps... But weve also seen wide open guys continually air mailed, wide open guys being thrown too a second too late, that eggregious pick against northwestern in the end zone (beating northwestern puts this team on a whole different trajectory).  

There is zero depth in the qb room- LMC is not a QB. No mechanics change is going to address his inability to throw the ball 15+ yards.  Jury is out on smothers, obviously, but we have a 1 QB room at the moment and this QB isnt the answer with his arm.

We have the budget to match almost all programs.  Why are we settling for staff members such as verduzco who has ZERO P5 track record until this point?  Outside of the revelation that was mckenzie milton I'm willing to put my house on the line that this guy has never coached up a guy who made it beyond the equivalent of a canadian football leaguer and even then I'd be shocked to read he achieved that.

Thanks for the work but good riddance.. i'll personally send the guy a box of fresh cuban cigars as a parting gift

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

It's felt this way a long time too. Before Adrian (and a year of Tanner Lee) we had Tommy for four years. Before that was Taylor for three years. They've been hurt at different times and we have had no solid backup. Guys like Ryker Fyfe, Ron Kellogg, Andrew Bunch have had to start games. All walkons.

I have no confidence in any depth at skill positions heading into next year. I don't even have confidence in a starting lineup for WR, RB and QB.

And it's year 4.....That's an issue.  I agree about the RB room. I read an article from McKewon here:

182: The combined career rushing yards for scholarship running backs Rahmir Johnson, Ronald Thompkins, Marvin Scott and Sevion Morrison. If Mills leaves, that’s the room, plus Gabe Ervin, unless NU wants its top receiver to be running speed options at the goal line for another year.

No position needs a bigger jump in performance — and health. Johnson had more rushing yards in 2019 (64) than he did in 2020 (30). Thompkins hardly played. These are the two guys Nebraska signed instead of Breece Hall, the stepson of former Husker Jeff Smith who has 2,333 rushing yards in two seasons at Iowa State.

That's ridiculous.  I know Held has some recruiting chops, but that sucks.  And as someone mentioned, who has he recruited that panned out.

• Plus1 6
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

This was a free year, you don't can anyone.

Next year, you might have to give up a pound of flesh(light), but you don't do it yet, you have that trump (stop, this is not political) card in case next year sucks.

How was it a free year?  It was football.  We practiced, played and lost a lot.  Still looked mistake prone and undisciplined for the most part.  Year 3 and we still have no real back up QB, RB, WR etc....The O side is a crap show at best...

Lost to Illinois and Minnie.  For a free season, that cost us a lot.  

• Plus1 6

7 minutes ago, lo country said:

How was it a free year?  It was football.  We practiced, played and lost a lot.  Still looked mistake prone and undisciplined for the most part.  Year 3 and we still have no real back up QB, RB, WR etc....The O side is a crap show at best...

Ummm, I guess I don't know.

Frost is the CEO of this staff and it's ultimately up to him to decide which assistants give the team the best chance to win.  Thus far he has not shown a great willingness to part ways with his staff, and the exit of Walters appears to have been mutual.  If Frost truly feels he has several more years as HC regardless if the team continues to underperform, he will be inclined to keep most if not all of the current staff.  However, if he is feeling some pressure from Moos, Green or Carter to show substantial improvement in year 4, he may be willing to rock the boat and make some broader changes. 

I agree with many of the posters that we have seen some marginal improvements on defense over the past 3 years, while the offense and special teams have really struggled.  With that said, I am not sure we should be seeking even just marginal improvements when the baseline we are improving from is so low.  Instead, we need to be swinging for the fences with assistants and finding coordinators that can help give NU the best offense, defense, and special teams in the BIG West division.  To be truly competitive on the national stage you really need top guys in all 3 phases of the game.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I agree. Frost even mentioned if he knew the season would get delayed he would not have brought the kids back on time so I think they still got normal practice reps just a delayed season. Is that accurate? 

Also with COVID I would think there would have been less distractions since the kids couldn’t do anything so you would think they would have spent a lot of time on football getting better. 

19 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Frost is the CEO of this staff and it's ultimately up to him to decide which assistants give the team the best chance to win.  Thus far he has not shown a great willingness to part ways with his staff, and the exit of Walters appears to have been mutual.  If Frost truly feels he has several more years as HC regardless if the team continues to underperform, he will be inclined to keep most if not all of the current staff.  However, if he is feeling some pressure from Moos, Green or Carter to show substantial improvement in year 4, he may be willing to rock the boat and make some broader changes. 

I agree with many of the posters that we have seen some marginal improvements on defense over the past 3 years, while the offense and special teams have really struggled.  With that said, I am not sure we should be seeking even just marginal improvements when the baseline we are improving from is so low.  Instead, we need to be swinging for the fences with assistants and finding coordinators that can help give NU the best offense, defense, and special teams in the BIG West division.  To be truly competitive on the national stage you really need top guys in all 3 phases of the game.

Im gonna bold this as this is probably the simplest motto we should go by.  we have the resources of any program money wise, why are we settling for a bunch of assistants where this is their dream job or biggest school coached at?  That should be characteristic of the purdues and northwesterns of the world... which is the exact reason why we find them to be on our level or higher

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Im gonna bold this as this is probably the simplest motto we should go by.  we have the resources of any program money wise, why are we settling for a bunch of assistants where this is their dream job or biggest school coached at?  That should be characteristic of the purdues and northwesterns of the world... which is the exact reason why we find them to be on our level or higher

Exactly, we are a blue blood that behaves like a middle of the pack program. Do you see Ohio state training staff for P5 competition or do they let other programs do that for them? They hire them once they have the credentials 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Yes I am in agreement with you fully and we should all set lofty goals for this program rather than being happy about the smallest of improvements from prior bad seasons.  Is Chinander a top-tier DC for P5 schools?   Do we have a top QB coach? No.  Is Lubick a top-tier OC?  I think  he should be given full authority over the offense this next season to see if he can have success at Nebraska.  Do we have a top ST coach (or a coach at all)?  No.  

I am pretty certain that, had Frost went to Moos and asked for a top DC in the entire country that Moos would have found a way to get the guy.  

2 hours ago, lo country said:

And it's year 4.....That's an issue.  I agree about the RB room. I read an article from McKewon here:

182: The combined career rushing yards for scholarship running backs Rahmir Johnson, Ronald Thompkins, Marvin Scott and Sevion Morrison. If Mills leaves, that’s the room, plus Gabe Ervin, unless NU wants its top receiver to be running speed options at the goal line for another year.

No position needs a bigger jump in performance — and health. Johnson had more rushing yards in 2019 (64) than he did in 2020 (30). Thompkins hardly played. These are the two guys Nebraska signed instead of Breece Hall, the stepson of former Husker Jeff Smith who has 2,333 rushing yards in two seasons at Iowa State.

That's ridiculous.  I know Held has some recruiting chops, but that sucks.  And as someone mentioned, who has he recruited that panned out.

Wandale

42 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Wandale

Exactly.  A WR shouldn't have to take away carries from RB's....Did it last year as well.  RB room, IMHO, is a mess.  And if not for Luke sitting the past few games the leading rushers would be AM, LM, Mills (or Wan'dale) as Rutgers REALLY helped Mills totals.  As it is now AM, Mills (by 30 yards) LM, Wan'dale.  All the scholarship RB's (Less Mills) combined for less yards than Wan'dale.